Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about Basilica de Estrela: Nativity Scene, Terrace, Pipe Organ

Aug 14th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Greetings!

We will be in the Basilica de Estrela area, so I want to visit the Basilica.

I heard that there is an amazing Nativity Scene made from cork and clay. Is it always on display? I read somewhere that it needs to be reserved if we wanted to visit it. Not sure if it's true.

Terrace access. Could not find how tall the building is. I heard that it's possible to go up to the roof and get an interesting view of the interior of the Basilica from there. Only those who are able (I'm traveling with a group of older folks) might want to check it out. I would not mind myself. In Seville we went up to the Tower of the Cathedral -- it was hard but fun.

The pipe organ. I heard that on Sundays there is Pipe Organ playing. Is it every Sunday? At what time?

Thank you!
Aug 15th, 2019, 01:27 PM

The nativity scene is permanently on display behind glass in the presépio, a separate room beyond the tomb.

We passed on climbing up to the mirador at the Basilica, as the Basilica is quite tall, and I'm not good with heights and wasn't at that moment up to the 112 steps. I don't think some of your senior ladies would want to tackle it, but a few might.

We went on Sunday morning before lunch but didn't hear the pipe organ, but we weren't there at Sunday noon mass. You might email [email protected].

You may want to walk a bit in the pretty gardens, Jardim da Estrela, right across from the Basilica.
Aug 15th, 2019, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel View Post
The nativity scene is permanently on display behind glass in the presépio, a separate room beyond the tomb.

We passed on climbing up to the mirador at the Basilica, as the Basilica is quite tall, and I'm not good with heights and wasn't at that moment up to the 112 steps. I don't think some of your senior ladies would want to tackle it, but a few might.

We went on Sunday morning before lunch but didn't hear the pipe organ, but we weren't there at Sunday noon mass. You might email [email protected].

You may want to walk a bit in the pretty gardens, Jardim da Estrela, right across from the Basilica.
Thank you Maribel,*
I don't think too many would want to go up --perhaps no one-- but it's good to know that we can. * Actually, we did climb the Cathedral tower in Seville: The Giralda. *It was tough but in the end enjoyable. *Out of 6 ladies, half went up while the other half stayed in the garden. **
We're planning to go to the botanical garden in the Jardim Estrela. *First picking up some Pastel de Nata at the corner bakery*Dolce Estrela ) *That sounds like an enjoyable Sunday morning!*
Aug 16th, 2019, 05:38 PM

minamax,
I'm glad that you're going to the botanical garden in the Jardim Estrela.
Are you sure that Dolce Estrela is open on Sundays?

If it isn't, and if you have the time to walk up to the Campo do Ourique market area, about a 10-15 minute walk, there's Aloma, a great pastelaria, which is a stop on a couple of Lisbon food tours. It won an award for best pastéis de nata.
If not, maybe there's another place near the Basilica to pick up some pastéis open on Sunday.

Just a thought.
Aug 16th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel View Post
minamax,
Are you sure that Dolce Estrela is open on Sundays?

If it isn't, and if you have the time to walk up to the Campo do Ourique market area, about a 10-15 minute walk, there's Aloma, a great pastelaria ...

Just a thought.
Oh, gosh. You are right. It’s closed on Sundays 😭. Will check the market idea or some other pastry shop near by.