Search

Question re: London neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re: London neighborhoods

Hello all,

I'm posting this message again, and I think my previous choice of title was somewhat misleading.... Here's my questions:

I've got one night in London and am trying to nail down the best possible location, within easy access to the West End theaters and transportation to Heathrow.

In short, I'm arriving by train from Edinburgh on Aug. 27, staying the night in London, then flying out the following evening (Aug. 28) to Paris.

This isn't actually my only night in London -- I've got a few days there before I go to Edinburgh as well. So I don't need to cram in any sites. Just want to see a show and so some people watching.

But for this stay, I'm looking for affordable, close to everything, and easy access to the airport.

I've been looking near Bayswater and Notting Hill Gate. But is there another area that's more accessible to the theater?

I've found rates of 37 pounds (Thistle Lancaster), 58 pounds (Garden Court Hotel) 65 pounds (Kensington Gardens) and 75 pounds (Vicarage Private).

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Kristin

Old May 31st, 2004, 05:30 AM
ron

The simple answer is yes, there are other areas a lot closer to the West End theatres than Bayswater/Notting Hill. You could stay at the Radisson Hampshire, for example, and be within 300 metres of three-quarters of the West End theatres.

But it is easy to get to the West End from Bayswater by tube -- I stay there often and do it regularly. And it is handy to Paddington station if you want to take the Heathrow Express.

I have stayed at Thistle Lancaster Gate, and would recommend it at the price you have been quoted. Perhaps a 15 min walk to Paddington, with rolling luggage, or a really short cab ride. Airbus practically across the street if you want to get to Heathrow that way. Or 5 min walk to the Bayswater tube station for the really cheap way to Heathrow.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:37 AM

Sounds like you want to take the Heathrow Express from Paddington from your hotel selections.

If you plan on taking the tube to Heathrow, you might want to look for hotels along to the Piccadilly line so you don't have to change trains with luggage.

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much! Yes, I'm looking at the Express -- a 15-minute commute vs. an hour by tube or Airbus appeals to me.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:38 PM

I haven't stayed in the neighborhood myself, but Bloomsbury is close to west end theatres (walking distance or cheap taxi) and has some affordable lodging.

Have a great trip-
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM

Ron's suggestion of the Thistle Lancaster Gate is really your best choice at that price. The hotel is across from the park in a great location. You can get closer to the theatre district, but it's an easy trip by tube or bus from Lancaster Gate/Bayswater.