Question re Bergama (Pergamum) & 3 night gulet cabin charter nr Bodrum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have about 13 days to go down the Turquoise coast. Our ideal would be to stay several places for 3 or so nights, touring from a base. (Something like 3 nights Selcuk to see Ephesus, Aphrodisias, Priene, Miletus & Didyma), 2 nights en route, 3 night gulet cruise, 4 nights Fethiye or Kas), 1 last night before flying out.

Our original plan is to fly into Izmir and drive first to Selcuk.

Two Questions:

1). Bergama (Pergamum) sounds fascinating but it would take us in the opposite direction. How long would it take to drive on a Saturday midday to get there (flight arrives at 11:30 am) if we wished to add this to the itinerary, and then how long would it take to get to Selcuk afterwards (presumably the next day)?

2). Doing a cabin charter on a gulet for 3 or 4 nights is appealing from somewhere like Bodrum going to visit Knidos and other archaeological sites. However, most cruises appear to be for a week and it’s hard to get this info on the internet. Any suggestions for how I can learn more about what is available? Perhaps we should just do a day cruise.

Thank you.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dear Curious123,

Yr.Q.1. If you are flying to Izmir from Istanbul AND wish to visit bergama, it is a good idea to rent a car from Istanbul and drive down, visiting Troy, Behramkale/Assos and bergama, overnight at Dikili or near by and continue down to Selcuk, maybe even visiting Sardis with a small detour on the way. This will take the same time as driving from Selcuk to Bergama and back, but allow a great deal more.

The best route is early morning ferry (possibly 7:30) from Yenikapi, Istanbul to bandirma (2 hours), Bandirma to Troy (2 hours), troy to Assos (one hour), Assos to Bergama (90 minutes)

Q2. You will get the best info from someone on location, regarding gulets. I advise that you post this question on both the Gocek and Bodrum Forums of Trip Advisor. The destination expert for Gocek, Dudissimo, and those for Bodrum can give you very precise information.

One suggestion : if you love nature as much as antiquity, visit Herakleia, on lake Bafa, on your way to Bodrum from Selcuk, instead of Didyma and Miletus. The small village of Kapikiri is built on the remnants of Heraklia with beautiful views of monastery on small island in lake and huge interesting rocks strewn around. The lake and shore also is a bird sanctuary, has many wild orchids and good sea bass.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:00 AM

I did the drive recommended above; here is a bit of info from my (woefully incomplete) report in 2005. Bergama is very interesting. We also adored the port town of Foca where we spent a few days; we drove to Bergama from Foca before heading south to Sirince:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...onpart-one.cfm
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM

You could do it arriving at 11:30 to Izmir drive or driven to Pergamon and return to Izmir for overnight. Maybe a bit to much for a half day but possible.

Cabin Gulet charters usually have a set itinerary and does not always give you the opportunity to visit ancient sites. If you are not on a private gulet cruise and did not arrange land logistics, a gulet cruise will be a nice and relaxing do nothing type of holiday, which personally I like very much.

There are mini cruise options 4 days 3 nights as cabin or private charters too.

Cabin charters are much cheaper comparing private gulet charters however everything comes with its price: during cabin cahrter you are sharing the boat with others you do not know. Food is moderate but usually do not excpect seafood. Gulets are usually standard ones so they offer basic comforts only.
With a private gulet you pay twice as much for a day than what you pay for almost a week charter price and usually food on top but either you do your own provisioning or ask captain or your agency to shop on your behalf for what you want to be served. You get air conditioning, probably better crew, some items & equipment for watersportts, you decide on the itinerary and how much time you want to spend where, you get better and bigger cabins (usually) and more creature comforts.... While you can hire a gulet for two persons you can also hire with family and friends usually up to 12-14 persons. Gulets are designed 4-6 cabins in general but some has 3 mastercabins with equal size of others with 6 cabins...

A gulet cruise in Mediterranean or Aegean is truly an experince to remember.....Talking about gulet cruise I can not wait till July as we gather with close friends and do nothing for a week every year....

Happy travells,
Murat
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Dear Otherchelebi and Proper Travel,

Thanks very much for these thoughts. We will be coming from Vienna, so I thought flying to Izmur would probably be the closest place I could fly into. I love the idea of going to Assos because antiquities are really our focus except that I'm nervous about driving on narrow winding roads and how long it would take. It's always good to hear, too, about other beautiful spots.

If we were to fly into Izmur and drive up from there to Assos, do you know how long that would take? And then about how long it would take to drive a day or two later to Selcuk?

I have also thought about getting a car and driver to avoid anxiety about driving on difficult, unfamiliar roads, but but I'm not sure how expensive that would be.

I will check trip advisor forum for info on a gulet cruise. I think it would probably work best on a different trip when we might be able to either travel with friends or have more time. Happy Travel, sounds like you've got a wonderful trip coming up!

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 02:51 AM

There are not many difficult roads in that part of Turkey. I gave info on price of a car hire (2005) with driver in my link above. That should give you a general guideline.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:55 AM

curious123,

Izmir airport to Assos will be 5:30 to 6:30 hours, depending on the time of the day, time of the year and the presence of road works, etc. Do not forget that Izmir airport is about 30 minutes south of the city of izmir. If you take off from selcuk, you should add another 45 minutes.

There are very few narrow winding roads on the route i advised from Istanbul. it is also almost all motorway and divided highway from selcuk to Ayvalik and further to Kucukkuyu. Kucukkuyu to assos is abot 30 kilometers of winding narrow road but with little traffic and quite scenic. The only scary part is getting down to Assos port from assos town, but only 600 meters or so. And it is all worth it.

if you do get to Assos, at the Northwest entrance of town, across from the statute of Aristotle, there is a glass artist's shop, where they have lovely pieces for very reasonable prices.

If you are going to be there at end of June and/or early July, there is an annual international philosophy seminar, which you can check at their website, 'philosophyinassos'.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for additional information. And Ekscrunchy, your trip report was very helpful, I just went back and read it with more attention.

By the way, the timing of our trip is May (the philosophy conference over the summer sounds fascinating--I was a philosophy major in college). We've decided that our trip is short enough that we will not try to go north to Bergama or Assos this trip or do a multi-day sailing trip--these will have to wait for a return trip when we are not so time-constrained and can perhaps combine these with time in Istanbul.

The information you all provided here was very helpful.
By the way, I have been enjoying reading other readers' questions and the good advice being offered in this forum and learning of the Trip Advisor forum (I already used the hotel reviews). It is very helpful to people like me who have not been to Turkey before. Thank you.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Driving can be fun as long as you drive daytime...I would not worry about, roads are well signed and gasoline stations are plenty, a shock to get prepared would be to see the heavy tax inflated gasoline prices especially when you compare with where you come from

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Murat, you have been terrific on these forums, and, i believe, in your profession.

I just hope that you do not feel i am encroaching on your turf.

By the way, i am glad you posted what you did to Calledman007, who is here to promote his business.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM

If you decide to stay in Assos-It is a long way in. I am so glad when we were there in 06 we decided to stay there 2 nights instead of 1. From the main road it was 45 min in. Driving from Yalova-stopping off for a visit to Troy. We stayed in the Eden Group Hotels. The one we stayed at was an old acorn holding building converted to a small botique hotel-on the water. We had the only room with a balcony. There was NOTHING to do but it was one of the nicest places we have stayed. This fishing boats went out in the morning-walked along the pie & saw cats sunning themselves on rocks. A delight. We then drove to Kusadasi to see Ephesis.Sigh-this brings back many fond memories-Chris