Reload this Page >

Question for Capo

Search

Question for Capo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Matt

Question for Capo

My family is planning a trip to Rome for 2 weeks this May/June. Since you responded to my post about disappointments in Europe concerning Rome, can you give me any tips about Rome before I get there, like what I should expect, and how to make our trip there a great memory. Thanks.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Matt

ttt

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Matt

Where are you?<BR>Wo sind Sie?<BR>Donde esta Usted?<BR>Ou etes vous?

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Capo

Hi Matt. Yes, in that thread about disappointments I'd mentioned that my expectations about Rome were quite low since I'd heard so many negative things about it over the years, especially about how "dirty" and "noisy" it was. I think that, sometimes, having fairly low expectations can work to your advantage (so, using that psychology, maybe I should tell you that I thought Rome was terrible. :~) <BR><BR>The Rome you experience in May/June may be a bit different than the Rome we experienced last March because it will undoubtedly be much hotter (for me, the weather we had in March was almost perfect), and I'd *guess* there will be more tourists.<BR><BR>You can expect a city that is very much alive, animated, vibrant, bustling and, yes, *somewhat* noisy. However, bear in mind that, for example, what is considered "noisy" probably varies dramatically from person to person. I didn't find it that bad; you may end up agreeing, or disagreeing with my perception. I also didn't find it to be "dirty" but, again, perceptions differ. (Marco, a person on this board who lives in Rome, said in a post yesterday that he feels Rome is far more cleaner than it was in the past.) <BR><BR>You can expect to see some fantastic pieces of architecture, like the Colosseum, the Pantheon, and St. Peter's Basilica. Seeing each of these in person for the first time took my breath away, and that's one thing where I'd be willing to bet you'll feel the same way. <BR><BR>I'd love to say that you can expect the people to be warm and friendly, because that's exactly how we found them, but, once again, this is an area where perceptions can really differ. <BR><BR>I think, more than anything, I loved just meandering around the streets and piazzas of the Centro Storico, the historic center of Rome (where you'll find Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, and the Pantheon), as well as the mainly-pedestrian area around the Spanish Steps, and Trastevere. <BR><BR>Another thing I loved about Rome was all the fountains, from the grandiose Trevi Fountain, to the charming little Fountain of the Tortoises (in/near the former Jewish Ghetto) to the whimsical "Leaky Boat" fountain at the foot of the Spanish Steps. The Egyptian obelisks are wonderful too; my favorite is the one in the grand Piazza del Popolo, the historic nothern entrance to Rome. <BR><BR>If you like museums, by all means, try to visit both the Vatican Museums (besides the Sistine Chapel, my favorite part was the colorful map room), and the Borghese Museum. Climbing up to the top of St. Peter's for the view over Rome is a must and, although we didn't do it, I've heard lots of people rave about the Scavi tour, which takes you underneath St. Peter's. The Borghese Museum is located in the park of the same name, and it's a nice green respite from the rest of Rome (as is the Palatine Hill, perched above the Roman Forum.) Speaking of the Roman Forum, there's a wonderful outlook over it from the back of the Campidoglio; if you can, try to get there around twilight. <BR><BR>And finally, the delicious food. While we weren't all that crazy about the pizzas we had, we loved the pasta, the tavola caldas ("hot tables", featuring a selection of mouth-watering items), and, of course, the gelato. <BR><BR>If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me. I'll try to be of assistance if I can. <BR><BR>I hope you have a wonderful two weeks in the Eternal City! <BR><BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:22 PM
mimi taylor

Capo, I came across an old post of yours. I wanted to tell you that we stayed at a farm in Montolieu.Not sure I am spelling the village name, correctly but it is famous for all the bookstores.