Question about Turin, Italy (Torino)

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 11:26 AM
kk

Question about Turin, Italy (Torino)

In late April my family and I will spend five nights on the Ligurian coast, just west of Genoa. Using our four-star hotel ($100/night, beach view) we plan to explore. these: Cinque Terre, Genoa, French Riviera, perhaps Grasse.
BUT, should we also take a day and go north up to Turin? Michelin route planner says that is about a two hour drive. Your advice, anyone?
So far this trip we are planning (two days in Bellagio, five with our son in Wiesbaden, five nights on the Italian Riviera) is a little light (for my extreme tastes) on historical sites, but great for nature's beauty. I thought maybe Turin could add some history and architecture.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Georgine

We made an intentional overnight trip to Turin while vacationing in the Cinque Terre.

The facsimile of the Shroud displayed in the basilica was very moving, and the prime purpose for the journey.

Turin's Egyptina Museum, touted as one of the best in the world, was a huge disappointment.

The center of town has some impressive buildings; however, most are not well-cared for. Turin has a very heavy coating of soot that detracts from its sights.

It's strong point is its fashion shopping. We were in town over a Saturday night and I can recall no other Italian town with a passagiata to compare to the crowds strutting the downtown's main streets in the most expensive, couture fashions.

If seeing the Shroud of Turin is high on your priority list, then make the journey --if not, I would skip the long drive.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:33 PM
wendy

I thought Turin was a lovely town, although parts of it were kind of seedy. I especially liked the bridges crossing the Po. The Shroud-copy is really something to see, in fact, that entire cathedral, San Giovanni is lovely, including the copy of the Last Supper over the doors. The gardens of the royal palace are very nice too. I think it's worth a day trip.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:53 AM
kk

Thank you, Georgine and Wendy.
Other thoughts on Turin....anyone?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Louis

My wife and I found Turin very disappointing compared to what one gets used to in Italy-the atmosphere is simply not the same -it almost feels like a place where car making is the overwhelming priority?

From your base I would rather go as far south as possible along the Cinque TERRE-Pisa and even Firence(if you can stay over one night are sublime(esspecially the latter)

Enjoy any way!!!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:52 AM
kk

Thank you, all. I am certainly glad I asked this question. Poor old Turin doesn't make the cut, I would say. This has been very helpful. With five precious nights on the Italian coast of the Mediterranean, I want to make the best choices from a wealth of options. Fodors rides again! Fodorites of the world, unite! Or, whatever. Anyway, this is super. Mille grazie.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:16 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

KK, Skip Torino, you have better options in all directions.