question about transportation from lake como to malpensa airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How easy is it to get from como (the town) to malpensa airport? Searching I found several references to a train that has to go through Saronno. Can someone give me exact details. I couldn't get the trentalia site to cooperate. I guess my actual question is if I have a 10:30am flight out of malpensa, can I stay the night before in como and how exactly would I get to the airport?

My search also turned up the name of an inexpensive hotel near the airport - hotel Cervo. But a google search couldn't find it. Does it have a web site? or some other way to find out how much it costs and to book it. Thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 08:33 PM

Try using the Italian language version of trenitalia.com; the English version has been spotty for some time.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Here is Hotel Cervo's web address:

http://www.hotelcervo.it/
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

surlok - thank you so much. I now have it bookmarked. It looks very nice. Have you stayed there?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Isabel - There is a direct bus service run by SPT from Como to Malpensa, so that would be easiest.

It departs from Como at 07.00.
Journey time to Malpensa is approx.1 hour. Here's the link:

http://www.sptcomo.it/servizi/malpensa_03.asp

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Steve james - thank you so much. That seems like an even better option - at least I have choices and now I know that I can indeed get from como to the airport without too much hassel.

This board really is so incredibly helpful. After I booked my tickets, flying home from MXP on a 10:20 flight, I started to get nervous because I hadn't done any real research as to how I'd get to the airport. I checked several of the major guidebooks (including fodors) and none of them had anything even remotely helpful - but one question here and in less than a day I have my answer and not just one, but two good options. Thanks again.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:01 AM
GAC

Isabel: I posted the information about the commuter train between Como City and Malpensa airport, changing at Saronno. This train is operated by the Ferrovie Nord (Regional Lines), and NOT by the Ferrovie dello Stato (Italian National Railways). Hence, looking in the www.trenitalia.com site would NOT give you any results!!!! (you would need to look in www.ferrovienord.it)

The SPT Como Bus is really MUCH better in YOUR case, as it is direct, and will get you to the airport at 8:00 a.m., in time for your flight. The one way cost is 13 Euros, and it departs at 7:00 a.m. from the Como Bus Terminal, which is across the street from both the ferry dock and the Como Nord Lago commuter train station (whence the Ferrovie Nord train to Saronno departs).

There are several large hotels within walking distance of the Como Bus Terminal.

I have taken both the SPT Como airporter bus and the Ferrovie Nord commuter train through Saronno, so I have very recent firsthand experience.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:27 AM

No, Isabel, I haven't stayed there. I'm just a bit of an expert in googlying. ;-)

However, hotels at/near airports are never wonderful. This one, from the pictures, I saw looks nicer than the ones I've used so far.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM
GAC

I stayed one night at the Hotel Cervo last October. It's fine, very convenient to the airport and has a shuttle service which costs 3 Euros per person in each direction. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, with nowhere to go, so don't plan on any evening activities except dining in their restaurant and watching TV in your room.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again guys. GAC I'd seen alot of your messages when I searched and they are very helpful. For the moment my plan A is to stay in como and take that early morning bus. If for some reason I need a plan B it will be to stay at the Hotel Cervo for the last night. My trip isn't until July but since I had just commited myself to the flights I suddenly realized that while I had planned the begining of the trip pretty well I hadn't figured out the end. Now I can relax and have many happy months of planning the details. I haven't even begun to look at hotels yet - anyone want to suggest something in Como not too far from that bus station. I generally stay in approximately 100€ a night type places. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later. Thanks again.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
GAC

Glad to be of help.

The "big" hotels by the waterfront in Como, and very close to the Bus Depot, are:

Hotel Terminus
Hotel Barchetta
Hotel Metropole et Suisse
Hotel Palace

These are all four star properties with air conditioning and outside of your budget.

The smallish, two star Hotel Quarcino, located about 200 yards from the Bus Depot, would be within your budget. I have not stayed there (not sure about a/c). Suggest you look it up on the internet. It is also listed in www.venere.it