Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about the Train from Rome to Pisa. AND what about either Ischia or Capri?

Search

Question about the Train from Rome to Pisa. AND what about either Ischia or Capri?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 05:22 PM
nancy

As I wrote in a previous post, we *may* do a daytrip from Rome to Pisa (so children can satify desire to see the Tower) <BR>As we will be in Rome for 8 days, spending a day out of the City could work. <BR>Paulo has already given me train times. <BR>What I would like to know is , <BR>Is it a scenic trip? <BR>Will the areas we travel through make the 3 hr. trip enjoyable? <BR> <BR>Second question; <BR>We will be spending our second week in the Sperlonga-Gaeta area. <BR>We will take some daytrips, but want to take it easy, to recover from a busy week in Rome. <BR>Someone mentioned in my other post, Capri. <BR>I have always thought it would be too "touristy" for us,we don't really like busy touristy stuff. <BR>But, we are going to be tourists,so.... <BR>I know the children would love a boat trip. <BR>But I was thinking of Ischia, over Capri. <BR>Any thoughts? <BR>Thank you for any info. <BR>Nancy

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 05:20 AM
nancy

I would love to have some suggestions,and help on these questions too! <BR>(Plus I need to write more thank yous, I am having withdrawals) <BR>Nancy

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Paulo

Can't help you with the train issue. Anyway, the train goes the route mainly along the coast. From Rome it goes to Cerveteri, Sta. Marinella and Civitavecchia, then it bends inland to Tarquinia, back to the coast at Ortebello and Albinia, inland to Grosseto and back to the coast Follonica up to Livorno and Pisa. I would guess that it may be pretty scenic. <BR> <BR>Considering you'll have plenty of time south of Rome, as touristy as it may be, my voto goes to Capri, specially considering the kids. Choose a sunny day, take the boat tour to the Blue Grotto (I see not much to it ... but the kids should love it) and stroll the island. Anacapri and taking the lift up the mountain is a must. Get a cab to Anacapri if you think the stroll is too long. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 07:59 AM
lola

Ischia is not worth the trouble except for the thermal springs. I didn't find it as wonderful as other sites in and around the Bay of Naples. Capri is gorgeous, but yes, filled with tourists. But if you stay overnight you could venture out in the evening and early morning when daytrippers aren't clogging the roads and sites.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 09:34 AM
nancy

Paulo and lola, <BR>I assume from what you write the train would be fairly scenic, esp. to us, who will have not seen anything of Italy , except Rome. <BR>Capri sounds like it gets the most recommendations (taking into consideration, it's touristiness) <BR>for something that would appeal to the children's sense of adventure(boat rides, cable car) <BR>As always, thank you for your comments. <BR>nancy <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 07:07 AM
amg

Nancy, <BR> <BR>We took the train from Pisa to Rome. You see the sea every once in a while, but most of the view consists on farm land and small towns. We took the train in late May and the sun flowers were in bloom. It is an amazing site to see field after field of yellow but as I remember that was the high point of the view. We brought a deck of cards, some food and wrote post cards. Some trains have full food service, ours only had a snack cart. <BR>Aileen

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 09:48 AM
nancy

Aileen, <BR>It seems to me that the train ride up to Pisa will be worthwhile in itself. <BR>After being in Rome a few days, seeing the countryside will be interesting and restful. <BR>Thanks, <BR>nancy

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 04:34 PM
joe

Yes, Capri is touristy, but your kids will LOVE the boat trip into the Blue Grotto. Take them if you can.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:57 AM
Anna Maria

We took our kids to Italy when they ranged from 14 to 8 ( 3 boys). I would suggest a train ride to Florence and a day trip to Pisa. Two places that my sons loved were San Geminiano and Pompeii. Day excursions can be arranged to all these places thru the hotel staff. Bon voyage! Anna

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Debra

If you're looking for relaxation, with a lot of activity for the kids, check out Negumbo Spa on Ischia. There is a very nice cove with a great beach, something like 10-11 pools and a couple of restaurants. <BR> <BR>We went there in may and enjoyed ourselves so much. It's perfect for a day trip--you could explore the island a bit, and visit Negumbo for a few hours. Only possible problem for the kids: I don't remember any lifeguards.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 03:55 PM
nancy

Debra, <BR>Can I find info on the Negumbo Spa from the Ischia website? <BR>What type of activities for children are there? <BR>Personally ,I would prefer to check out Ischia, rather than go to Capri. <BR>Summer of 2001 is the trip with my children and husband. <BR>Late spring of 2003 is the trip I am taking to celebrate my 50th , and am treating my sister and two other best friends to go with me. <BR>I think I would like to spend a week of that trip on the island of Ischia, so to see it prior would be a big help. <BR>Thanks for any further info you can provide me with. <BR>nancy