Question about the Borders in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We going to Scotland in July. After 2 full days in Edinburgh, we will rent a car to tour around in. Before heading north, we want to see the Borders (Melrose, Jeburgh and Kelso). Should we treat this as a day trip and stay in Edinburgh that third night(the Channings)? Or stay somewhere in the Borders that night and bypass Edinburgh the next morning on the way to Culross?

Thanks,

Ginny
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd definitely stay in the Borders. There is soooooo much to see in the area you won't even scratch a teensy bit of the surface in 1.5 days.

"musts" would include Melrose, Dryburgh, and either Floors/Kelso or the coast and St Abbs Head. Then w/ a bit more time you can add any of: Jedburgh, Abbotsford, Traquair and any number of other castles/manor houses/gardens.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM

I would agree - spend the night in the Borders. There is a lot to do and see travelling will taking up quite a bit of your time so an overnight stay there will give you a better opportunity to see that region.

There are plenty of good accommodation providers in that area, from B & B to hotels and as you are staying the one night it may be easier and better for you to book into an accommodation which suits you in an area you are visiting at that time. This may save you then having to make your way to a specific pre booked accommodation.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And if looking for a room on the fly isn't something you are comfortable w/ (that is what I'd do since the Borders isn't an area where rooms book up far ahead) you can stop in the Tourist Information Center in Melrose (or Kelso or Jedburgh) when you first arrive in the town and have them find you a room.

You tell them your price range, what facilities/type of room you want, and in which village, and then go to the Abbey or to lunch or whatever and when you come back they will have your room booked, directions how to get there, etc. For local bookings they don't charge for the service and it saves you time looking for a place.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM

I'm told that Burts in Melrose is very good
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:29 PM

gopack:
My family and I visited Scotland with two nights in Melrose at Burts Hotel. It is one of the most memorable two nights we have had in many trips. Melrose Abbey, Abbotsford are just great. My wife, son, and I packed a picnic lunch, took a taxi from Burts to Abbotsford and lunched on the banks of the River Tweed. After lunch we hiked back to Melrose. Of all the great places we have visited, we all talk about this day as much as any. The people of Scotland are wonderful, in fact, we are planning a three week stay next spring. We can't wait to explore more of Scotland. Enjoy your trip! Please post a trip report.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Having spent several years in Melrose getting my body parts rearranged in the name of sport (at the Greenyards, home of Melrose RFC) I have to say Burts is great, Melrose is great & the Borders are great; if it was me, I'd stay in the Borders and D&G and forget about heading north, but I'm biased!
Enjoy my homeland.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Ah! A rugby man too, doonhamer. Just so you're politics are fine, you might be a good chap!!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM

We just returned from a trip that included a week in the Borders. Definitely, most definitely, spend a night there so that you do not lose time going back and forth to Edinburgh. The Borders region is absolutely full of nice little towns with places to stay. I wish we could have spent a month just there.

We were outside Jedburgh, and the tourist information office there was extremely helpful and well organized.

Have a wonderful trip!

Barbara
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM

We just returned from Scotland (June 9) and toured the Borders for ancestor info. We stayed in Moffat (woollen mills town) at Bridge House B&B Guesthouse. Just off M5 main highway. Great room and great chef for breakfast. He also prepares dinner meals with a menu (licenced also).
<www.bridgehousemoffat.co.uk>
Tell them Mrs. Millar recommended them highly. Good luck and safe trip ! Ilonka