Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa

Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa

Old Jan 16th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa

I'm a Malaysian, a visa-free country for Schengen state, who currently holding Germany Type-D visa.
My Visa expired on 31 Jan and my flight is on 9 Feb from Amsterdam.

I learned that I can easily extend my staying period by exit Schengen State and return as a tourist which valid for 90 days.

However, Can I enter Schengen State and activate my tourist visa before the expiry of my Type-D visa?
I already did leave Schengen State to London and back to Italy on 1 Jan. My passport already has the Schengen exit stamp from Paris and Schengen entry stamp from Italy.

When I'm leaving back to my country, can I tell the immigration officer that I'm already a tourist since 1 Jan which had valid stay until 9 Feb?
8kiwi8 is offline  
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The chance that somebody here understands your situation and gives accurate info is about nil.
For such important matters, do get in check with consulates - don't even whihc one - a malaysian or a german one ?
WoinParis is offline  
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 72,436
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are at least one or two Fodorites who would know the answer. One is an immigration lawyer but I haven't seen her post in a while. The other posts quite regularly so hopefully he will see your question -- I sure don't know the answer . . .
janisj is online now  
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,416
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you can maintain you have already left Schengen and you are now on 90-in-180 day Schengen stay. But frankly I can't see border agents kicking fuss over a technicality. Chances are they will just stamp your passport and hand it back.
Alec is offline  
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 05:14 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for everyone reply, After I consult with Germany Immigration office, they still said I need to return to Schengen are after visa expiry to change my stay as tourist.

I plan to exit to Romania and return back to change my identity to tourist in Schengen state. However, the officer not sure Romania consider Schengen state or not, as they already implement half of Schengen rule.
8kiwi8 is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Nov 13th, 2016 05:23 AM
Dec 28th, 2012 05:07 PM
May 5th, 2012 04:14 AM
Apr 25th, 2012 07:19 AM
Apr 7th, 2010 07:18 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -