question about Gault and/or Gordes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would be staying about 4 to 5 days. Since we don't drive at night which would be better for us?..we would hate to have to eat dinner at the same place each night.

Someone mentined a hotel in Gordes..Auberge Carcarille. Does anyone know if we could walk to town from there?

I read about a Gault hotel and they said the hotel was a 10 minute walk to town..that sounds fine.

Any comments or any suggestions are welcome.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.beyond.fr/villages/goult.html
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM

http://www.beyond.fr/villages/gordes.html
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Now Lois, scroll down to the map to see what villages are in the Luberon.

http://www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/page_gordes.htm
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

I scrolled down..so do you think any of those villages in the Luberon would suffice???...Any other suggestions?

It's funny my friend's place is there in Ansois..but not much to do in town and no restaurants..

The hotel in Gordes, that is reasonable is probably out of the area but I can't tell. Auberge de Carcarille. They do have meals..but hubby would never go for 5 dinners in a row there. The hotel in the center of Gault sounds nice but it's way way too pricy for us.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:21 AM

Yes, Carcarille is way too far out of town to walk to Gordes - and Gordes is also up a very very steep hill that's even hard for a car to get up. The menu is not varied enough to want to eat there for 5 nights. Bastide de Gordes is indeed pricy, but it's in the center of town (actually about 20 yds down from town center a bit). You can park directly in front of the hotel and the views from the terrace & outdoor dining room are quite nice.

Just outside the center of Gordes there are several hotels on the route to Senanque. It's about a 15-20 min walk to town, but it's a gradual uphill walk - not the same walk as from Carcarille. We've stayed at Domaine de l'Enclos, and Romarins is listed in my Michelin Guide (no restaurant, however). Rooms at Romarins are 105 to 150 E. I don't know exactly which one of the hotels is Romarins, so call to verify the walking time to Gordes. There are also a few others in this "Hotel Row". It is probably best to dine at the different hotels along this "row" - I'm not a fan of any restaurants that are in Gordes Center (except perhaps the one associated with the Bastide de Gordes, which I thought was way overpriced - perhaps the view is the main draw), so walking to Gordes may not be necessary in the evening for dinner. If you are not too picky about the "elegence" of dinner, then the ones in Gordes would be quite a bit of fun - many are outside in the central open area, under plane trees next to the Chateau. Just a 5 mins drive down the hill is Estellan, which is very nice. I think taxis could get you to some of the restaurants I recommended in my guide (Bernard Mathys & Bartaville in Goult).

Gault is spelled Goult. I don't know of this hotel.

The Luberon is mainly a lot of small perched villages. Most of the hotels are not in the villages, but down below the village in vineyards, or flat areas (except the ones I mentioned in/near Gordes). Goult is not a steep village, and if the hotel you found in Goult is only 10 mins away from town (however, Goult is a little more spread out than Gordes & Bonnieux), then this would be a good bet. There are several nice restaurants in Goult also & it is not as touristy as some of the other touns, but just as interesting, IMHO. When friends visit while we are in the Luberon, we always take them to Goult for dinner and also walking around.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:14 AM

our favorite hotel near gordes is la ferme de la huppe; the small restaurant is excellent. but you couldn't walk to gordes from there, alas; however we would have loved to have eaten there every night. the food is wonderful and moderately priced.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM

A wonderful place for lunch is just outside Gordes in Les Emberts at the Mas Touteron, one of the best women chefs in Provence.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM

Le Mas Tourteron : Les Imberts, 84 220 Gordes, tél : 04 90 72 00 16
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

You are all so helpful. I think there is hope. Do you think that 4 nights in this Luberon area would give us time to do great exploring...?...Stu..your hotels in Gordes sound fine pricewise and I will look into them.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I think I keep calling it Gault...because of my Latin classes...all of Gaul is divided etc...
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM

>>Do you think that 4 nights in this Luberon area would give us time to do great exploring<<

Four nights is just fine, assuming that you will also be in St Remy & therefore won't loose any time driving to/from. Also include the Lavender Route drive that's in the itinerary I sent you. This takes you through some beautiful countryside. You might also be able to take a side trip around the Dentelles - Les Barroux, Malaucene, Crestet (don't miss), Vaison (explore - & don't miss the old town on the opposite side of the river from the Roman stuff), Seguret (explore), Gigondas (some wine?), and Beaumes de Venise (sweet wine?). This is also a pretty circuit.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:20 PM

Lois, If you'd buy the book I referred you to, you'd find Stu's circuit if you don't have a printer and will know the "Dentelles he refers to is 9 mile range of hills that form a lacework(dentelle) of delicate peaks. For those that like light hiking , this is a great area .
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Cig...book???refresh my memory please..
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Stu..Hotel Romarins has ac too...it looks good.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM

Lois:
Tje "Eyewitness travel guide
Provence & The Cote D'Azur."
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cig...will see it at bookstore I guess. Library doesn't own it. We have a great reserve system but with budget cuts......

Appreciate the help.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:56 PM

Here you can buy a used copy under $3.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...560587-1217751
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cig..I ordered it..unfornately I ordered two other things with it.

You have been so helpful.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Stu..Hotel Romarins offers dinner twice a week...odd isn't it. I wonder why they don' have it nightly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -