Question about flying between countries in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the post about when to buy tickets going over to Europe from the states and have a similar question about flights between countries in Europe.

We are planning to fly between Innsbruck and Orly, Paris next August and I was told by the agent of SkyEurope (maybe also called SkyJet??) to call again in November when it's tickets for that time period go on sale. I need 5 tickets and don't want to wait too long in case the seats sell out, but also don't want to pay premium prices. Do prices on these smaller flights within Europe fluctuate madly like the overseas flights? Should I buy them right away or do the prices usually drop? Is Sky Europe reliable? Are they one of the airlines which allow you a small amount of luggage and charge an arm and a leg if you go over the weight?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:17 AM

As I understand it, and confirmed by the FAQ section on SkyEurope's website, tickets are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. If they operate like other low-cost carriers such as EasyJet and Ryanair, the price of tickets will increase to some extent as the actual flight date gets closer. Therefore, it is generally advantageous to book flights as early as you possibly can to get the lowest fares.

In my own experience, the "price fluctations/increases" of tickets is pegged to the overall "break even" point for a particular flight and type of aircraft used. Often a computer program continually monitors and adjusts the prices to ensure that this "break-even" point is actually met which is one reason you can buy your tickets one day and then someone else buys their ticket after you did but paid less. This seems to be because the computer program is also geared toward the VOLUME of sales and if sales decrease then prices may be lowered to attract more revenue.

However, I have generally found the low-cost carriers to be somewhat more direct...the price increases as the flight date approaches, period.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM

Most of the time it will get more expensive, the longer you wait. I had the "pleasure" to fly "SkyEurope" twice. It would be more favourable for you, if you brake both your legs before you enter the plane, so you'd have enough legroom.

However, I survived two 3h flights ;-)
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
ira

Hi K,

Skyeurope is showing fares only until March 2006.

I would follow the agents advice and wait.

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks voyager2006 - it's the info I needed!

hi again logos999 - Does this mean that we have to break all 10 legs...? Gee, I'm really looking forward to this flight more than ever now!

Hi Ira
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM

I recall this being the worst flight I have ever been on. You sure need to loose some weight. People looked quite shocked, but a complaint wouldn't have helped anyway. It was a charter flight. They are a slovak airline, security should be o.k.
Those 14 and 25€ tickets do iclude all taxes. I left in one piece. At the time I would have sworn "never again", but then how do you get from Innsbruck to Paris for 25€...
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Cassandra

The Innsbruck airport is not a major airport -- one option is to take the train to Munich (I think it's about an hour, hour-and-a-half) and fly from there. I know it sounds like added time and money, but it's possible you'll have more choices of planes and fares MUC-Orly.

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow - 25 euros?! The price I found is, as I recall, 79 euros. For that I demand to keep my legs in one piece! I'm going to consider the Munich-Paris option, one that had not occurred to me. Thanks.