Reload this Page >

question about ateliers des chefs - paris cooking class

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi fodorites,

quick question ... what level of french comprehension do you need for a class @ ateliers des chefs?

i am quite functional in french ... high school (canada) + one summer in an immersion course in montreal before university (equivalent to a university-level course). i spent two weeks in france last year and was told by some locals that my french was good (but i think that is relative). the security guard @ the louvre refused to speak to me in english because he said my french was fine (but i'm a bit conscious of the fact that i don't remember a lot of the finer points like when to use le vs. la or de/du/de la. and some of my conjugation is a bit sketchy!) i'm also taking once a week conversational classes just to keep things fresh.

HOWEVER, i don't know a lot of french culinary terms and think that i might be in trouble! but, if i take a demo class at either of these places, hopefully, i can understand enough to follow along.

i'm interested in atelier des chefs of their pricepoints ... WAY more affordable than some of the other places that i've looked into.

any comments on my conundrum?

thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM

There is an Atelier des chefs in Dijon and they can make classes in English . I would be surprised if they couldn't do it as well in Paris! Did you ask them?
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Patricia Wells has a nice glossary on her site-much of it is for menu use but it also has a number of culinary terms:

http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/atoz/glossary.htm
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM

I had booked an Atelier des chefs macarons class but canceled because our plans changed at the last minute. Prices are great so I'm curious to hear how others here liked the class content.

I went with Cook'n With Class instead and it was worth every single penny. It is now the #1 activity to do in Paris, as per Tripadvisor readers (1 out of 767!!). I want to go back soon !!
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

anyone else??

tks!!
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM

IF the class is in French, and IF your assessment of your ability in French is accurate, I wouldn't take it. I say that because I have taken cooking classes in French, and I know I would have been a very poor student had I not been pretty much fluent. Others in the class who thought they spoke pretty good French, but did not, were floundering. It's not just the culinary terms (though that's certainly important), it's the speed with which the directions are delivered and the speed you must maintain to execute the recipes properly. I think you'd find it a more relaxing and rewarding experience to take a class in English.