Italy or Croatia? Can't decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide whether to go to Croatia or Italy for about 10 days of our 19 day trip. Afterwards we will go to eastern Slovenia. This would be our first time to either of these countries but I have been other countries in Europe. We are leaving on April 26th.

Originally we were going to go to Rome, Siena, Florence & Venice. After hearing such rave reviews about Croatia (and feeling like there are so many tourists heading for Italy) we are considering a change in plans.

Looking for your opinions/recommendations and things we might want to consider in making our decision.

CJ
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM

Just one person's opinion -- I've been to Croatia once and loved it. I've been to Italy 4 times and love it 4 times more than Croatia. Seriously, it all depends on what you are looking for. Italy has layers and layers of history, art, scenery, food and wine, etc. Croatia has some of all of this, but not to the extent of Italy. Croatia is still recovering from a devastating war and scars are still evident in many places. Croatia has a long, lovely coastline that appeals to many, although much of the interior is sparsely settled and not very attractive overall. You will indeed find hoards of tourists in Rome, Siena, Florence and Venice. You will also find lots of tourists in Dubrovnik and other towns. I suggest you read some guidebooks on Croatia (Lonely Planet has one) to get a feel of the country, then decide.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM

DEFINITELY CROATIA!

Visited both numerous times and Croatia wins hands down in my opinion. Italy is the cliche Euro vacation, I spose its ok if thats what you're after. I have to say for beaches and coastline there is absolutely no comparison and it also depends on your age the islands are hip and happening with the jetset crowds who are flocking there. Whilst Dubrovnic is attracting the older crowds with heaps of art and culture.

In regards to the recent post that croatia is ravaged by war it must be noted that the war was over a DECADE ago and the Coast was barely/not touched. Nor was the capital. mostly areas close to serbia eg. Vukovar ... but then again not really ur tourist destination.

As for proximity to Slovenia it Croatia can't be beated with the border only approx 35-40 min from Zagreb
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM

There was a similar post a couple of days ago and the advice was that Italy will be the same in 10 years time whereas Croatia will be totally different
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:15 AM

I did not visited Croatia, but I read and heard about it.
I think that this can not be compared with Italy.
We do not know what do you like to see or do in your vacation.
For me, Italy is one of the countries where I was many times and I still plan to visit it several more times.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:37 AM

LOL....I think I posted something similar last year! We are fortunate enough to be able to take two trips this year; we leave for Italy in 3 weeks, and already have flights booked for Croatia in November. I really don't think you can compare either one. I do agree that Croatia is ever-changing, so I would probably pick it if I had to choose.

You could always do both; there are cheap flights from Rome to Split and Dubrovnik through europebyair.com.

Tracy
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Croatia and Italy can't really be compared to each other. Both are Mediterranean countries, but very different.It may be of interest that Croatia is the chosen destination for hordes of Italians during the summer (has been for decades now).
If you are after a history/sightseeing/shopping holiday, than Italy is your destination, but if you are looking after sea/ sailing/beach fun, than Croatia wins hands down.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:07 AM

nothing is better than ITALY
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:30 AM

I think you could actually mix the two fairly easily. I would suggest spending some time along the coast in Piran, Slovenia (which not only is a great little town, but also sort of a mix between Italy and Croatia). From Piran you can spend some time in Croatia (the Istria region) and visit the ruins in Pula, and the coastal towns of Umag and Rovinj. All this can be done very easily by car as its an easy drive from the border of Slovenia into Istria, and you can get a feeling for Croatia as well as more of Slovenia, and have some time for Italy left over. There were virtually no American tourist in either Piran, Pula, Umag or Rovinj when we were there in July last year.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM

If you have never been to Italy, I would choose it in a heartbeat. There is no place more wonderful. We have been 7 times and I can't wait to return. Have been to Croatia only once and may or may not get back. It is beautiful but Italy is ITALY!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM

As a half Croatian person and a person that has been there two times this year, I will tell you to avoid Croatia out of high season. High season is in June, July and August. This is when the place is booming and everything-hotels, restaurants, stores will be open. In April many places are still closed and the locals are bitching about how bad life is. If you want to have fun in April go to Italy, if you want to go to a boring place in April go to Croatia. Croatia is a beautiful country but I would go in the tourist season when you can really experience it to its greatest potential.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:59 PM

About when to go to Croatia -- We went in September, just out of high season. Everything is open and going strong, but the prices, generally, are a bit lower than high season. While there are some tourists, especially in Dubrovnik, the crowds are thinner. Another plus is the weather --glorious -- warm but not hot.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I buy the whole - Croatia will be very different in a few years but Italy won't - that is what got me to go last September.

BUT I had been to Italy before.

Will you go back soon?

I loved Croatia but I might vote for Italy first - it is at the heart of so much.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Your posts have been great.

We are the history & sightseeing type of travellers and we like to get a bit of the feel of the people and culture....not just see places.

I think the idea that Croatia will be changing has us thinking it would be great to see now.

I am a bit concerned about rotaka's comments about avoiding Croatia out of high season. Will a lot of the restaurants and sites really be closed in late April & early May?

We were planning on going to Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Trogir(Split) and then head towards Slovenia.

I have been to Slovenia & the Czech Republic in late April & early May and found it to be a great time of year to go (not too many tourists yet good weather.) Could I count on the same for Croatia?

Thanks everyone,

CJ