Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st timers to Italy & Croatia (suggestion for suba diving)

Notices

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and i are planning to do a 2 week trip to Italy and Croatia to visit the sites, enjoy the beaches and also dive at least 1 site.

Looking to do a mix of touristy places and some villages. Definitely Rome, Florence and Venice, any suggestions on villages?

We love to scuba dive, love to eat and soak in the city.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 12:02 AM
mjs

You actually don't have a lot of time left for the beach or diving if you want to do Rome, Florence and Venice plus some of Croatia. I have snorkeled in Italy and Croatia and have done some dives in the Med but was not particularly impressed. Many other places in the world for great diving. What do you mean by villages? Where are you coming from?
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 05:52 AM

Yeah, I do agree with above regarding time constraints, and where you're headed to in Italy above doesn't take you anywhere close to where you do any major diving. However, if you do want to go, stick to the coast of Livorno or head out to Sardegna - you won't be disappointed.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 05:21 PM
kja

With only 2 weeks, I think it would be very difficult to meet your interests. Rome, Florence, and Venice ALONE can easily take 2 weeks -- even at a rapid pace. Getting to Croatia, let alone getting to a decent spot for scuba diving there, could require a substantial chunk of your very limited time.

I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. (IME, the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet are more likely than most books to cover scuba diving in areas like Italy and Croatia. I could be wrong....) Pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.

Good luck!
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 12:28 AM

can you fly into italy, and home from croatia?? if so, that could help with your time issues.

also, we took a ferry from croatia to italy (the line was Jadrolinija) and did it overnight, so we saved the day. We actually had a little cabin (it resembled a small train overnight compartment) and I remember the price as being super reasonable.