Search

Qkick Tips for a short trip to Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qkick Tips for a short trip to Belgium

Hello
I plan to take TGV Thalys from Paris to Brussels on Sunday / Monday in Feb. The essential purpose is to visit Grand square in Brussles and enjoy the TGV train ride. I dont plan to eat out or see anything else in Brussles so most likely it will be getting off at train station, cab ride to square and back to train station.
So
1. How many hours I should plan for at the square? One or two? (Will just admire buildings and the general scene in the square)
2. Is the station at Brussles safe...I read about muggers somewhere!!
3. How much would a typical ride to square from train station would cost and where do I get the cab from?
4. Is it fairly easy to hail a cab from the square back to the railway station?

Many thanks in advance to all those who reply
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Is anywhere safe? If you're vigilant and don't act with stupidity then you should be safe, but nothing and no one can guarantee your safety.

The Grand Place will amuse you for a matter of minutes, it's the area around it that you want to see, you ask how long? How long do you want to spend there, it's a silly question, just reckon on a few hours.

If you're getting a cab, it costs as much as it costs, there's nothing you can do about it.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM

It's two minutes walk from Central Station to the Grand Place. Forget the cab. I assume you're arriving at Central and not Midi?

I think I'm right in saying there are tours. But get a good guide- I found, for this purpose, the Eyewitness guide to be good, tho' I don't like them much generally. It takes you round the square building by building. If you're not going in an hour should do it.

I don't hugely like the atmosphere at Central Station Brussels- although it's the underpasses to the metro that are worst, rather than the station itself- but I think it's as safe as anywhere of the type. I've never seen or suffered anything in 8ish trips a year for the last 2 1/2 years.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM

There is a GREAT restaurant only a few blocks away from the main square called Chez Leon...it is in a touristy area but the food is just amazing!!! You must try to steamed Mussels! Out of this world! I think mine were covered with baked cheese, garlic, spices and tomatos.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies everyone. so i guess i just need to get off at central station and walk to the square and can be back in an hour or so.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM

As far as I know, the TGV does not stop in the Gare Centrale. Dawes, I hope you realize you will have to hop another local train to get to the Gare Centrale from the Gare du Midi. However, if you want to cab it, it's not that expensive, 10 euros max. Or you could go by tram to the Bourse stop; the Grand'Place is a short walk from there. A single voyage ticket (good for an hour on all forms of local transportation, trams, buses, metro, etc.) is 1.40 euros.
I would give yourself at least two hours. If I can make a suggestion, go to the Grand'Place first, then walk up rue l'hopital to the Sablon and from there make your way back to the Gare du Midi for your return trip (take any of the trams going up to the Place Louise--they will be the ones heading TOWARD the big Palais de Justice with the gold dome, not away from it--get off at Louise and hop on the metro, direction Clemenceau, for three stops back to the Gare du Midi). Although you don't want to eat, it would be a shame not to stop in a cafe and try a Belgian beer. My favorite cafe on the Place is La Chaloupe d'Or (the golden boot). It has two levels and nice big fireplaces on each level.
Keep you wallet in an inside pocket and you should be fine. The Gare du Midi is much better policed than it used to be and pickpocketing/mugging incidents are WAY down.
I just got back 15 minutes ago from a week-end in Brussels, where I lived for five years until December 2004. I had a wonderful time and was sorry to leave. Make that VERY sorry!
Re food, Chez Leon is a fun, touristy place for a quick meal. I wouldn't call it great, especially not in a town like Brussels that has so many truly excellent restaurants (actually, I think you eat better for your euro in Brussels than you do in Paris).
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Oops, I meant the Thalys-the Thalys is a type of high speed train, but it's not a SNCF TGV train. (However, the Gare du Midi is served by SNCF TGVs, Thalys, and also the Eurostar and German high speed ICE trains.)
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:24 PM
ira

Hi Dawes,

As BTilke says, the THALYS stops at Brussels Midi, NOT Centraal.

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

All Right. So I will get off Thalys at Brussels Midi, take a cab to Grand Place and then follow instructions given by BTilke to do the sight seeing.

Thanks a lot everyone. This was wonderful & very prompt response.

One last question: Someone mentioned that Thalys is NOT TGV. I thought it is a type of TGV. Is there big difference between the two. I dont want to do France without hopping on to TGV at least once ;-)
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:46 PM

The Thalys is a high speed train very similar to the TGV. But the TGV is run by the French railroad system (SNCF), the Thalys is a multinational, private train service (www.thalys.com). I think riding the Thalyis is a little better than the TGV, at least in first class. Anyway, it's a quick ride from Paris to Brussels--less than an hour and a half. Much faster than going by car!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Dawes: I did the opposite, took the Thalys to Paris..nice, quick and easy! The time spent in Brussels, and lots of trips to the train stations, never had a single problem...(I experienced only positive things, people were extremely polite and helpful) BTilke's advice is perfect...I have taken it myself. The Grand Place is beautiful, took pictures, looked around, bought chocolate, and moved on towards the palace... And, I love the street markets and flea markets they have on the weekend. Enjoy! I will be there in June with my son, and I cannot wait to get there!!! I did not eat in any of the restaurants in the Grand Place area, but I did have the best mussels at this tiny little restaurant near St. Catherine's called Le Barcamoules (spelling?)...oh was it good! Have fun!!!!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.
This was wonderful indeed.
Merci!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Appreciating the buildings is one thing... appreciateing the chocolate is another. About half a dozen of the world's great choclateers have shops on the grand place. The Maniquin Pis is about two blocks away and there is a great street of restaurants (that I can't remember the name of) about two blocks away that have $10-$12 euro three-course meals. The mussels and ries are definately among the reasons we like to stop in Brussels. The "Leffe" beer is a great addition to your meal.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

One last question:
Once I am done with sight seeing in Grand Square, is it easy to get a cab back to MIDI station? or it might be difficult to find a cab around 3 PM on a Monday?