Q on Grindelwald to Kleine-Scheidegg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
ira
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q on Grindelwald to Kleine-Scheidegg

Hi all,

Because of my Lady Wife's problems with heights, we will be visiting the Swiss Moountains by train instead of cable car.

Our route is Lauterbrunnen-Grindelwald-Klein Scheidegg-Wengen-Lauterbrunnen.

The SBB site lets us buy all of the tickets online except to/from KS.

Am I correct that we can buy those tickets at the train station in Lauterbrunen, or is G to KS to W a different train line?

If it is, where do I get tickets?

Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

Ira, to my knowledge you can buy all those tickets at the respective stations.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all the same line. You can buy the tickets at any of the train stations.

Coming down from KS, sit on the left of the car (facing the mountains)
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
ira
Original Poster

Thank you, Waggis and Schuler.

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM

"<i>we will be visiting the Swiss Moountains..."</i>

Were it anyone else writing this, I would think this simply a typo. But with you, ira, somehow methinks you can already hear those lovely cows a mooin' on the hillsides!

And when leaving the Grindelwald station, sit on the left side but also on the bench that is to go backwards (seats face each other).

Stay in those seats when you reach Grund (the first stop after Grindelwald).

Once the train leaves Grund, what was the back of the train is now the front of the train, so you will now be facing forward on the best viewing side.

So happy to read you're going ahead with your trip, ira.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
ira
Original Poster

Hi SH,

>"we will be visiting the Swiss Moountains..."
Were it anyone else writing this, I would think this simply a typo. <

Methinks you have been reading Strunk & White:
"I shall drown No one will save me" vs "I will drown. No one shall save me".

Thank you for the kind words and the good advice.

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM

I have made those connections several times. If you travel from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald, the cheapest way is to take the Berner Oberland Bahn connection via Zweilüschinen.
You MUST change there for the train arriving from Interlaken Ost. The total trip takes 36 minutes during the day which includes a 5 minute layover at Zweilüschinen. (So called because the two main branches of the Lutschine River meet there) From Grindelwald the trip via KS to Lauterbrunn can take a while. I strongly recommend you get off at KS and look around. The views of the Mönch and the Jungfrau are very good on a clear day. You can also look toward the Wetterhorn, which is the peak that towers over Grosse Scheidegg a few k distant to the west.

The descent from KS to Lauterbrunnen is at times steep. As you go down, sitting on the left side is preferred because you can see the peaks better. Once you leave Wengen, the train twists around curves to the extent that perhaps the left side is preferable. The descent takes over an hour at times depending on the connection.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
ira
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the hints and tips.

We are planning 2 -3 hr in KS.

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM

One short trip is to take the Jungfraubahn as far as the Eigergletscher station. Get off there and walk across the tracks to the trailhead of the Eiger Norwand trail.
You will get a good look at the Eiger. I don't recommend going DOWN the trail unless your legs are strong!
Coming back is a little of a climb. But the views are very good.

From there the walk back to KS is downhill.

If the day is clear you will have some good photo opportunities. When I was there last summer, the clouds swirled in and out. I got a few pictures, but the clouds obscured much of the view at times.

Let me suggest that if you have a digital camera that you bracket your pictures. (One exposure "on the mark", one just above it and one just under it.) I always "check the drugstore" after a couple of bracket shots and usually 2 of the exposures bite the dust right away. I recommend that technique because lighting facing south into the sun is most deceptive. Some cameras tend to over expose and "over blue." If you don't have a UV filter I urge you to get one.
Otherwise you end up with purples and blues.

If I recall correctly, when the train from Interlaken Ost pulls in, the front cars leave first for Lauterbrunnen. The rear section turns left (east) for Grindelwald. The incoming train will be on the adjacent track.

Making the connection is usually routine.

If during your stay you want to travel between Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald via train, please note that the connections from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen get unfavorable time wise after the 18:19 departure. The connect time suddenly goes wild. Rather than 36 minutes the connect time becomes an hour and a few minutes. There is nothing that I have found to do in Zweiluetschinen. The station is small, and there is not much to the settlement there. I don't recall seeing a restaurant.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thank you, Bob, for the info on the Eigergletscher and photos.

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Ira,

Your post brings back memories from the late 60's when I was at Kleine Scheidegg on skiing trips a couple of times. I'm wondering if you have ever seen the Clint Eastwood movie, "The Eiger Sanction." Some of it was filmed at Kleine Scheidegg in the hotel there. It was a pretty bad movie, but I enjoyed seeing the hotel again.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM

If it is a lovely day, and you are ready for lunch at Kleine Scheidegg, it is well worth the 10-minute walk on the nearly-level path toward Männlichen to eat on the terrace at Restaurant Grindelwaldblick:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/offe...uts-46721.html

You will get away from the crowds at Kleine Scheidegg and enjoy great views over the Grindelwald valley. The menu is typical Swiss Berghaus style---Rösti, Alplermacaroni, Wurst, etc. But I had a wonderfully fresh mixed salad, and those in our group who ordered Rösti said it was among the best around.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for your excellent suggestion, enz.

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Another good dining choice at Kleine Scheidegg is the Engernordwand (from KL towards Mannlichen, it's the first restaurant past the train tracks -- not counting the teepee):

http://www.eigernordwand.eu/index.html

Scroll down to the section with "Zimmer." You will see a link to the Speisekarte, where you can not only view the menu but check out the beautiful views from their terrace.

The terrace at the station restaurant is quite busy, but indeed very handy if you want something quick. There is table service (for the tables with tablecloths only). We've had a number of good meals here. I remember this huge pork chop. And of course I'm always a sucker for the apple strudel with vanilla sauce.

But for the tables without tablecloths, you order from the outside grill. Good brat!

Even without taking the gondolas, etc., you will have such a wonderful vacation. This entire region is so visitor-friendly. I wish you a very pleasant trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM

bk
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Engernordwand? sheesh... :-B

Eigernordwand.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Good brat"

Warning to all tourists: we call them "bratWURST" in Switzerland. Many Swiss can understand English but they won't understand "brat."
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM

When are you going? I'll be there in August! Enjoy the trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, SH.
.................................................. ..
Hi P67

We will be there in Sept. I look forward to your trip report.

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Zu Füßen der Eigernordwand
Auf dem Eigertrail nach Alpiglen

The North Wall of the Eiger by Foot
On the Eiger Trail to Alpiglen

(Alpiglen is a stop on the rail line between Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald.)

Looks like the name in German is der Eigertrail. It gives fantastic views of the Eigernordwand, or north wall of the Eiger.

I made a type when I typed Norwand. The d was hit a lick and a promise. Well, here is the promise: Nordwand or north wall.

I caution against descending from Eigergletscher unless you have good boots with lug soles and hiking poles.
The downhill is just about as tough as the uphill but for different reasons. The downhill stretch from the Eigergletscher train station is steep and the surface of the trail is gritty on the surface and hard underneath unless there has been recent snow melt or a heavy rain. You will be constantly putting pressure on your feet to maintain your balance. If you are in shape at all, going uphill is actually much easier on the knees and shins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -