Purse or backpack

Mar 7th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Purse or backpack

I'm 15 and going to Paris in a few weeks. I didn't know if I should bring a purse or backpack to carry everything around. I thought a purse might not be big enough but that a backpack might invite pickpocketers so I didn't know which to bring
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:46 AM

There was a very long thread recently about the topic of travel purses. Put in a search and that will probably bring it up . . . I cannot remember the exact link.

Happy travels!
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM

If you want something just to carry around while playing tourist then what about a "fanny pack"? I took a purse but used the front fanny pack while doing the tourist thing. A backpack is bulky & could be a target. If you take a shoulder purse then wear the strap across your body instead of normally hanging off your shoulder.
Mar 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM
ita

My friend used a front fanny pack and was just fortunate that I saw a young girl unzip it who probably would have removed the expensive camera if she had not been caught. Her friends quickly took off. If they had really been smart they probably could have cleaned me out while I was dealing with the girl. My friend was totally unaware of what was going on. I think the best advice is to wear a shoulder back across your front, but separate your documents, credit cards from your cash. A back pack is good for carrying your guide books, a jacket, water, etc. Nothing is fail proof. You really need to be vigilant and lucky
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:11 PM

I would try to find a larger purse, more like the man purse Joey had on Friends...that goes over one shoulder and has a large flap that falls over the front closes at the bottom...I'm trying to think of what they are called. It will hold your camera, money etc, plus a guide book and your jacket and its not too bulky and its harder to get into because of the flap.

Good luck!
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:13 PM

A purse should be fine. All you need to carry is your camera, map, small guide book and your spending $ for the day (put the rest of your cash in your concealed money belt along with your passport). Have a great time!
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM

I agree with Margie. Do not use a "fanny pack". You're looking to lose your valuables and you'll surely call attention to yourself as a tourist.
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM

BikerS- they ae called courier bags. I got one & never used it. Too big & heavy. I stuff things in my deep front pockets & have a purse made of nylon (or somesuch) that I wear bandoleer-stlye. It even has an all-round zipper that makes it bigger. I got it from TravelSmith, but they don't have it anymore. I have to stop myself from using it all the time at home, because it will wear out some day.
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:00 PM

I've also heard those referred to as messenger bags.
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM

I'd bring a large pocketbook or messenger bag. I like to travel with what I use every day at home because it is more natural and so for me safer and easier. If you normally carry a daypack/backpack, go ahead and bring that but don't keep valuables like passport or money in it, only maps, water, sweater, inexpensive camera, etc. with more important items on your person somehow - in a money belt or small secure purse.
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Has anyone tried carrying stuff around in a durable shopping bag? I know it's not the most haute couture look, but I wonder if it might attract less attention from thieves.
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:50 PM

There are other durable shopping bags available. Longchamps offers tote bags that are quite roomy and are made of nylon with leather handles. Those would look better than a real shopping bag and it shouldn't attract attention.
Mar 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM

I use my purse which is a backpack stlye, just not as bulky...but I took to wearing it on my chest rather than my back, much like you wear a baby carrier. Didn't look the most fashionable but I had no problems . If I were getting something new to take I'd probably go for a purse with a strap I could wear across my body. That way, once again, your hand can rest on your bag.
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I will go with a purse that has a long strap to go across my body!
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Most young people in Europe carry some kind of messenger bags, guys too .
I agree that the messenger/strap across your chest bag is better. Both better looking and easier to manage.
Have fun!
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM

The purse with the long strap across your body is a good idea. Make sure that it can be completly zipped up.
Have fun.
Mar 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM

I will! Thank you!
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM

For WillTravel, I'm not sure it's what you had in mind re 'durable shopping bag', but I've purchased inexpensive canvas bags w/ logo in the grocery store line then used it around town for carrying extras. Tuck it in your pocket or day bag & fill it up if the occasion arises. Like you mentioned, not exactly anything that looks worth pickpocketing!
Mar 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM

There are lots of cute small backpacks that are meant to be carried in front, it's apparently the new in thing. A doorman in London gave me this invaluble advice: Whatever it you are using, carry it with the flap to your body, and make sure there is a zipper. Also,when possible,your passport, trav checks and tickets should be in a safe deposit box, or at least in your locked suitcase wherever you are staying.