Purse in Paris= too risky?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my husband and I have planned our first trip to Paris, and I have been trying to work out what to bring. I have a small Louis Vuitton purse that I love and carry everywhere, more as something to complete my look than as a money/document carrying tool. In fact, I intend to carry my debit card, passport, and cash elsewhere on my person, either in a money belt or similar device. I was just wondering if carrying a small handbag with a designer logo would make me a too much of a target for mugging or purse strap cutting. I keep hearing "horror stories" about purse snatchers, etc. from people I talk to, or see them posted on other web sites. I enjoy appearing "well put together", and would really hate to have to leave behind a piece that I feel completes my wardrobe simply out of fear. On the other hand, I would hate to have my purse snatched because it would be on the expensive side to replace. By the way, it is a very small (8 inch) shoulder bag with a very short strap that is held quite close to the body under my arm. Am I being foolish to even consider bringing it?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Jazz - what do you think Parisian women do every day? they carry their expensive handbags [purses to you] close or not so close to their bodies and would laugh at the idea of not having one.

Paris is no more dangerous than any other large city, and if you are in standard touristy areas, you will be very unlucky to have anything happen. Just use the same sort of sense you would use at home, and have a great time.

Regards, Ann
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ann. ditto from me.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM

As thingorjus once sagely observed, her maid carries a Louis Vuitton purse so I don't think carrying one will make you stand out as a wealthy heiress or anything.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's fine to carry a purse. I always do. Certainly all the women in Paris carry theirs.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM

I've been to Paris many times and have always taken whatever handbag I carry at home, often expensive designer bags, and never give it a second thought. I behave as I would in any large city and carry the purse close to my body, zipper in and move quickly. I don't believe I'm any more at risk in Paris than at home.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM

Well, if you lose your LV purse in Paris, you can always run down to Cairo and pick up one for 1/5 of the price you paid for your original one...

I know this is the Europe discussion group, but I must say that I couldn't believe all the fake Louis Vuittons, Diors, Guccis, etc., fake purses being sold in fancy stores in fancy shopping centers in Cairo!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM

I carry my Louis Vuitton everywhere in Europe, Paris included, and mine is the big Noe, drawstring style bag no less! You will be fine carrying your purse, no problem.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM

The only thing that will make you a victim is your paranoia... thieves can smell fear like dogs! You're in Paris... work the outfit honey and be a part of it all! No one will even know you're there!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good points. I was thinking the same thing about Parisian women, and how they surely must carry purses themselves. I also have been told that purse snatching is much worse in touristy areas (which are of course the place where we plan to be)and I wondered if the locals were less likely to frequent those places carrying a nice handbag that they care about. I definitely agree that I won't stand out as an heiress carrying my little LV bag, but I have a bad feeling that we will stand out as American tourists. That's not so much because of what I plan on wearing but more because of what my husband will likely insist on wearing/carrying, i.e. Nike athletic sneakers, camera case, tour books. Not that I'm really an expert at blending in seamlessly when we travel, either. But thanks for the thoughts. It sounds like maybe I'm worrying too much about nothing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM

The way I can distinguish tourists around where I work is if I see a middle-aged heterosexual couple holding hands in the middle of the day . So just make sure you and your husband are never near to each other, and for sure never speak English. In all seriousness, no one can guarantee you that any method is risk-free, but just have a recovery plan if the worst happens, and give thought as to how you would respond to various scenarios.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's much better (imo) to use a normal purse/pocketbook same one like you use at home. Just (please!) don't buy those special "travel" models with the metal threaded security straps, etc.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM

d'accord!

I've never used anything other than my regular purse in over 45 years of traveling..just be aware.

You can of course look like and obvious tourist with a back or fanny pack and more likely be targeted
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM

Actually, the gold lame LV doctor's bag is the only LV purse that is in vogue in Paris right now. (My friend, Christina, is an editor at French Vogue.) If you have one of those Murakami bags, just throw it right in the rubbish bin; it is so over (ovahhhh, with two snaps down, honey). So many Parisian women will be carrying around really hip bags that no one will notice your little LV.

Fishee, I do NOT have a maid. I have a housekeeper named Esmaralda. She used to have one of those fake Louis Vuittons that she bought on the street of Philly. It was so pathetic that I bought her a real one so she wouldn't embarrass me when walking out my front door. My Gucci, what would my horrid neighbours think--that I didn't pay her enough?

So, she got a big Louis V for Christmas two years ago, but I still make her clean up the dog poop from Jackie O (my baby French bulldog).

The Artist Formerly Known As Thingorjus
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM

Hi Jazzblues1,

Did you read the current thread by Danielle titled: "Indeed it happened to me but I still love Paris!"? There is some interesting info on it about purses and pickpocketing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM

Does anyone honestly believe that purse sorry, HANDBAG) snatching in Paris is confined to "tourists?"
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The only time anyone tried to snatch my bag was in Normandy, by a huge dog that lived in the B&B where we were staying. I accidently have a photo of him trotting off with my bag in mouth when photographing the cat. The next day when packing our luggage in the car, I tucked the map in the pocket of the door.
The mutt walked up to say goodbye, like ya! As we headed to the airport, I noticed the map was gone.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM

I have always carried a Louis Vuitton all over Europe and never had a problem. Sometimes I'm actually carrying two Lv Handbags because I buy mine at the boutique in Nice and the new one will be in my carry-on for the flight back home.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM

I was pick-pocketed on the Paris metro from my Lancel purse. The brand neither protects you nor offers you up. Use your instincts. When getting on the metro, no matter how crowded, work your way to the other side of the car, away from the door. The best position is leaning against the opposite side- keeping your eye on everyone else in front of you- without being conspicuous. The French women on the Paris metro seem to carry deep tote bags rather than shallow purses which makes sense. How far can someome stick their arm down your bag without getting caught? Theft is a crime of opportunity don't forget. I was pick pocketed from an across the body, zipper on the inside version that I hear people mention here as some sort of mecca of theft prevention. If someone can reach only their hand into your purse and quickly locate what feels like a wallet- you're prime game. I've read that people have had their glasses cases lifted by mistake- which can be more troublesome than losing your credit cards if it contained your prescription glasses! If your purse has two handles or straps, each that are attached to the sides of the bag it is harder to unzip the purse if it rides close to your underarm- try it yourself- if you can't open your purse without actually taking it off, chances are it will be harder for someone else to do. I now spread my cards and cash around to several different carrying cases in both my purse and my suitcases so I always have some backup. My "wallet" in my purse is a simple zipped bag with a tether that attaches to the inside of my bag. that would slow up a pick pocket, but not a purse thief, so don't put everything you need in your one bag.

Once cleaned of my credit cards and drivers license, I was at the mercy of my husband for purchaes. Lucky I had him because for sole travelers, they can be in a really tight place, no money, no credit card, no id. Fashion is not worth the risk. When you travel, people who do not know you care how you look. A dorky but secure bag is much much better than the one that makes you feel good to carry because its pretty or the one you love. Just don't have such a dorky bag that you give away its purpose.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM

Cigalechanta, you are too funny! The creature knew you are a dog-lover and he just wanted something to remember you by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -