Purchasing wine to drink on trains

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:30 AM
A.M.

Purchasing wine to drink on trains

Does anyone know if a previously purchased bottle of wine is allowed on a train for consumption? Is there a rule against this?

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Nancy

I don't know if it's against the "rules" or not, but this past January we brought our lunch with us on the Eurostar from London to Paris, and consumed a bottle of wine we'd bought the day before. Just be discrete, and I think you'll be fine.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Dick

We've done it everywhere we've traveled in Italy, Spain, and Switzerland, making no effort whatsoever to appear to be doing anything other than what we were doing, and never got a second glance from anyone.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:16 PM
greg

We were on a TGV in what looked like a retired folks' car. At lunch time, all sorts of wine bottles appeared from the the basket they were carrying, along with full course meals. After seeing this, we always travelled like them on trains.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:44 PM
A.M

Thanks for the responses.
A.M.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Patrick

All of the above responses seem to refer to drinking wine and having food at your seats. Of course this is done frequently. Was the original post asking about bringing your own wine to the dining car? I have seen that done as well, and considering the usual lack of good wines available in a dining car it didn't surprise me, but I've never done it. Has anyone else?