Reload this Page >

Purchasing and using the Kilometric Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 02:35 PM
shea

I've found guide books to be vague often conflicting about the Kilometric Pass. Does anyone know the real scoop? My husband and I will be living on the coast, south of Livorno, for the summer. We will be doing frequent day trips to Rome, Milan, Florence, Pisa, etc. during our stay. Also, we will have 3 friends visiting us during June and July. With 5 people doing so many day trips, the Kilometric pass seems to make sense. First, a few books say that there is a per person fee of $25 on the kilometric pass? Is this true? Most guides don't mention it at all. Second, is it necessary that all travelers listed on the pass be present at purchase, or can we just list their names on the pass? How does this work? <BR>Third, what is the deal with supplements? None of the guide books actually say which types of trains I can expect to pay a supplement on. About how much are these supplements for, say, Rome to Florence? <BR>If anybody has had experience with this pass, I'd appreciate your help.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Paulo

I've never used the Kilometric Ticket (at the time I used to travel by train extensively in Italy there was no such a ticket). A recommended a friend of mine to get one 2 years ago ... but, though having used it without problems, he really didn't understand fully how it worked. Therefore, I wouldn't bet my life on what follows <BR> <BR>a) the ticket's good for 3,000km and may be used by up to 5 people, during 2 months or less, and up to 20 trips (see comment below); <BR>b) the ticket cost is Lit 206,000/2nd class and Lit 338,000/1st class; no such thing as an US$ 25 additional fee per person in the group; <BR>c) in principle, one would have to pay the supplements applicable on EuroStar and InterCity trains (see comment below); <BR>d) the names of users have to be indicated at purchase (no need to be there in person); persons in group need not travel together. <BR> <BR>When my friend purchased the ticket (at CIT in Rome), his wife was elsewhere. At purchase, he was informed (at least he thinks so) that each segment PER person would add to the count of the 20 allowed trips ... INCLUDING train changes (in other words, 2 people travelling, say, from Venice to Rome with a train change in Bologna would count as 4 trips!!!). In practice, he travelled with train changes twice: once he was charged 4 trips and once he was charged only with 2 trips ... go figure! On the other hand, they travelled twice without a charge whatsoever ... nobody showed up to ask them for the tickets. <BR> <BR>They had to pay supplements both times they used Eurostar trains (on the spot, in cash). My friend has no idea if he had also to pay for the mandatory reservation on ES trains (he just payed the amount he was told to, witout questioning an eventual break down). They also took IC trains twice, but they were charged supplements only once! <BR> <BR>Conclusion: if what happened to my friend is the usual situation ... it's a mess, completely dependent on the discretion of the FS clerk on the train. If you program yourself for the worst situation, you shouldn't use the ticket for very short trips (unless you're in no danger of surpassing the allowed 20). <BR> <BR>From Rome to Florence (316km) the approximate supplements are the following: <BR>Eurostar: 2nd/1st (Lit 25,5k/38,5k); Intercity: 15,5k/25,5k <BR> <BR>For travel between other major cities look at <BR>http://www.italyflash.com/italyflash...il/fares.shtml <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Joanna

My friend and I used this pass in 1996 without any problems. The longest trip we used it for was an express from Roma Centrale to Napoli and we weren't asked to pay a supplement. The conductor came around to check tickets and didn't make any comments about not having paid an extra fee, so we must have been doing the right thing. <BR> <BR>We used the ticket about 10 times in Tuscany and Umbria (we had flown to Florence after having been in the south & Sicily for 3 weeks). We were planning to use it for the final leg Assisi - Roma, but a strike put paid to that plan - we had to get a taxi!! (no choice - we had firm bookings at a hotel that day and a flight the following). <BR> <BR>I would use the Kilometrico again but think it is mainly good for short to medium hauls.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Marilyn Ham

We're bought the Kilometro for 3 years running. There are three of us and it can be used by up to 5. You can use it only on the FS trains (not Eurail). We paid through CIT about $185. Even with the supplements paid for the IC trains and seat reservations, the ticket was much cheaper--for three of us the total was maybe $250. I see even Rick Steves has come around to recommending them. You can get the pass through 1-800-CITRAIL. Marilyn

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 08:58 PM
oh la la la la la

parce que les autres pensent que la chicane est la meilleur

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 12:37 AM
Meg Gain

My husband and I have just spent 2 weeks touring Northern Italy on a KM pass. The ticket allowed for journeys <BR>up to 3000km (or 1500 per person). We travelled from Milan- Bergamo- Bresci- <BR>Cremona-Mantova-Ferrara- Ravenna- Rimini <BR>and back to Milan without any problems <BR>for an amazing 88pounds GBP for the two of us. We didn't use Eurostar or Intercity trains for which you pay a supplement. The ticket clerk at the station completes the voucher with the number of KM travelled and this adds up over the journeys. I'd recommend it. Meg

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 12:36 AM
Patti Suttle

My husband and I used the KM ticket this past June-it was great. I can't remember how much it was but we thought it was very resonable. We went from Milan-Venice-Florence-Rome-La Spezia and I used it again with a friend from Piacenzia-Milan and back and we still had km's left. <BR>Patti

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 09:01 AM
Simon

The Biglietto Chilometrico is a great idea. But I have seen some things in the messges that need to be clarified. You MUST have the ticket stamped at the ticket counter each time you use it (not by the conductor on the train). If you do not do this, you will be fined by the conductor in addition to the supllement. <BR>The suppliment is payable on all IC/EC trains and Rapido trains (the equivalent). It is bought at the ticket counter when you have your ticket stamped and MUST be stamped in date machines before going on board (usually on the platform itself). Otherwise you will be fined by the conductor and end up paying twice. <BR>A reservation is often not compulsary, and is available at a price (dont bother with it). <BR>The trains that are covered by this pass are the regionale, interregionale and espresso. They are available on all destinations. For the Eurostar you will need a different ticket. The kilometric Ticket is not valid. <BR>I am fluent in Italian (which is why I was able to compile all this info) and used it successfully and happily in August 1998 from Catania-Napoli-Roma-Venezia-Padova-Venezia-Bologna-Roma-Catania.