Reload this Page >

Purchase Eurostar Tickets through SNCF web site for pickup in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Diana

Many people have asked about purchasing Eurostar (and other rail) tickets through the SNCF web site for pickup in Paris. If you manage to find the fine print on the site, it indicates that this option is only available to persons residing in certain countries which do NOT include the US. I purchased my ticket through the site anyway and want to report that I had absolutely no problems picking it up. I simply presented the credit card used to book the ticket (Am Ex) and my ticket was cheerfully issued. <BR><BR>Also, I did not go to the train station to pick it up. There are many locations all over Paris where you can pick up tickets -- I asked at the hotel front desk and they sent me to the St Michel Metro Station which also has a train ticket place. I am still surprised at how simple it was.<BR><BR>Oh yes, the price I paid was only 95 Euros round trip -- Rail Europe was asking over double the price. (I believe their price for the same ticket was $270.)<BR><BR>Go to www.sncf.com, click on the British flag for English and you should be on your way.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:57 PM
MBrown

Where is the train ticket place located in the St Michel station? I have never noticed it? Did you pick them up at the RER window? Just wondering so I can save myself a trip to the train station. Glad you saved some money! The SNCF site is the only way to go!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Vincent

For MBrown: OK, this train station inside Saint Michel is one of Paris's best kept secrets, but for you Fodorites... Go into the station, and follow the corridors as if you were going to Versailles (RER C), and follow the sign saying "Grandes Lignes" (long distance trains). Passing the RER ticket counter, you'll find a rather gloomy room with usually two people, but functioning as a full SNCF issuing office (RER is actually managed by SNCF, hence this office). Actually, any RER C station in Paris (dotted along the Seine from Javel to Bibliotheque nationale de France)offer this unknown and often empty facility.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Monica

I was told I could pick up my tickets at the CDG airport, but I'm wondering how crowded that place is compared the to the location at St. Michele. I'll be arriving in Paris at 6:30am. I was informed the ticket office opens at 5am.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:47 AM
MBrown

Thanks for the info Vincent! I will have to hunt that down next time i am in that station for future reference.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Chris

I will be in Italy in May and I was wondering if I could use this service to go from Rome to Siena- then Siena to Sorrento?<BR>Thanks,<BR> Chris

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:12 AM
lisa

What a great tip! Thanks, Diana & Vincent!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Vincent

I dont think it's possible to book in France for a domestic ride in Italy. But you can always try. As for the CDG station, I've always seen it empty (but manned), so I think it's quite a sure bet for you