Purcasing TGV Tickets

Search

Purcasing TGV Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Purcasing TGV Tickets

I'm about a week away from purchasing TGV tickets from the US (still a little more than 90 days and a few days from Prem fares hitting my date).

I tried a dry run but obviously didn't go as far as entering a credit card number.

A few questions came up.

Seat choices. Other than Upper deck being higher and Lower Deck being lower are there any differences (view I guess)? Is luggage checked for TGV or do you carry it with you. Does Upper deck mean we carry our luggage upstairs?

Age comes up 2x-59. If I go to enter correct age (>60) it also selects some other choices such as season tickets and something else. There's no choice for N/A. Do I select the correct age category and just leave the other choices as is or do I just not bother with the age category?

If I don't change the age category and enter the correct date of birth a screen or two later, is there program smart enough to compare the two and indicate an entry error?

For ticket delivery if I select the first choice of E-Ticket and print myself it mentions something about 3D Secure. Is this going to end up being a problem with a US credit card?

I'm also finding that unless I specifically clear my internet history their program saves previous entries and I have to specifically delete those tickets. I guess that isn't an issue as long as I do it or clear the history before making the actual purchase attempt.

For country I selected Antactic. I guess they won't attempt to verify that. Correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can actually purchase prems tickets three months in advance (which is sometime 91 or 92 days).

You carry your luggage with you. There are luggage racks near the doors and often in the center of the car also.

Don't worry about the ages if you are buying prems tickets. I just bought two, and put over 60 for one passenger but 21-59 for the other. The price was the same. Even when I later input the passengers' dates of birth, my receipt still shows age 21-59 for the one ticket.

I had no problem with 3D secure, but I had already set a password when I made an earlier purchase with a different merchant.

They do not verify country of ticket collection.

Just remember to notify your credit card company that you'll be making a purchase in France.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Have you checked the iDTGV trains. Fares start at 19€ (they are cheaper than PREMs) and are available up to 5 months in advance:

www.idtgv.com
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

No, I haven't looked at iDTGV.

What's the difference?

I tried to navigate the web site and I get an error whenever I try to go to Book. I'll try from home where I have a more up-to-date browser.

If I remember correctly, Voyage-SNCF shows the iDTVG. Will they let me buy them there?
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 06:36 AM

<i>Voyage-SNCF shows the iDTVG. Will they let me buy them there?</i>

Yes, you can use the regular www.voyages-sncf.com or www.tgv-europe.com websites. The iDTGV trains are basically the same as regular TGVs only tickets are uniquely available on line, are non transferable and non refundable. They should be printed at home, there is a 7€ additional charge if you ask the SNCF to print them for you (at either a boutique or service window).

Some of the iDTGV trains are a bit older, some travel independently, some travel attached to the regular TGVs but it´s a great way to save money and still arrive at your destination in comfort.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Actually, the Prem fare for a week before is less expensive than the iDTGV fare.

Also, it arrives in Paris around 11:30 PM. I think I'd prefer arriving as late as I can (to have part of the day at the source location) and still arrive when there's some daylight.

Thanks for the idea.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:44 AM

As to seat selection, there are several options to select from.

When we travel as a set of couples or with family, we like to ask for a "carrée because you will then have a table where you can play cards, lay out a meal, etc.

You can also specify window (fenêtre) or aisle (couloir) or side-by-side cote à cote. Or you can be indifferent, which if seats are few and far between, will increase your chances of getting tickets when you are buying for several people.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
bookmarking
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM

If you, like me, prefer to face forward, don't forget to check the box "voyager dans le sens de la marche" when choosing your seat on the SNCF site.

I really like booking on the iDTGV site where you can choose specific seats from a seat map. You can't, however, specify a preference for facing forward.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

MainGG,
You brought up a good point. If I had to choose the one thing that's important to my wife it would be facing in the direction of travel.

Unfortunately, that's not one of the choices.

I'll go back to French and maybe they have slightly different choices. But I doubt it.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Ahggggg!!! I went thru the process in French and the seat selections were the same as in English.

No choice of sitting direction.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

However, if I select "Beside" a box opens for carriage and seat but I have no idea what they are and what they mean.

I searched seat layouts and they qualify everything based on the direction. So we don't know the direction.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Are you on the www.voyages-sncf.com site? If so, when you choose a train/fare a little box pops up saying "choisir ma place". When you click on that, a larger box opens with a drop down menu to select the type of seat you want (Indifferent, etc.). Just below that drop down menu is the box to check for "voyager dans le sens de la marche".

If you're on the www.tgv-europe.com site (in English), the box says "choose my place" and under the drop down menu for seating option is the box to check for "travel facing forward."

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I'm using www.voyages-sncf.com

I tried English and French, 2nd class and 1st class and I don't see a choice for direction.

This would be great if I could select that but I don't see it.

I wonder if it's a Windows 7 thing. It does strange things sometimes.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

And I tried Firefox and that's a mess.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM

marking