Puglia? Sardina?

Search

Puglia? Sardina?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puglia? Sardina?

I'm looking for one last place to visit this July. I keep coming across Puglia and Sardina...any opinions? I'm interested in culture, food, gentle hiking, and general city exploration.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I trust you have seen Sicily. If not, it trumps both, but I do like Puglia.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:16 AM

I have to say that although we are in love with Sardinia because of the most beautiful coast line in the Med. It -

1. Doesn't register on the culture chart

2. The food is well ... food. There are some silly hotels but in no way do these offer anything close to value for money.

3. Walking - is actually good both the coastal routes and interiors have stunning scenery

4. City exploration - pretty much only Olbia, Cagliari and Alghero.

Olbia is great if you are into industrial estates. Cagliari keeps your interest for a few hours. Alghero maybe a day.

In summary if you love beaches there are none better this side of the Carribean. For anything else look elsewhere.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sardinia has been taken over by the wealth jet set so prices up and quality down. Puglia is still fresh and clean and a major hoiday desitination for italians in July. Culturally everything from Ancient Greece to Norman Sicily (not much after that date!). Wine is serious stuff and in the best areas some world beaters. Food is good peasant fare.

We biked around the area for a week and loved every minute in June. In July you will need a sun hat!

Cities more limited but even so lots of small towns on hills and then Bari, Bridisi, Lecce .
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM

We have not been to Sardinia, but we spent a week in Puglia in 2006. We fell in love with the area. The Adriatic is so beautiful, the people so friendly (and curious, as there aren't a lot of Americans that travel there) and it is unspoiled. It has a very different "look" than other parts of Italy we have seen because they have been invaded so many times. The people are taller and more angular and while I have never been to Greece, it is a bit of what I imagine Greece would be like.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
kja

Hi, courtoomp222 -

I haven't been to Sardinia, so I can't compare. I did enjoy Puglia very much. In commenting on Puglia, Bilboburgler wrote: "Culturally everything from Ancient Greece to Norman Sicily (not much after that date!)." I must respectfully disagree - Lecce is famous for its particularly whimsical baroque.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:28 AM

I haven't been to any of them yet, but I had such a dilemma this year. I was going to do either Sicily with Sardinia or Campania with Apulia. I even planned both trips, but, in the end, I decided to visit Campania with Sicily next June.

There are so many things to visit in Apulia compared to Sardinia (in my opinion, of course).

Apulia has wonderful beaches (the Gargano), historic cities (Lecce), interesting towns (Alberobello and Ostuni), and excellent food (my mother is from Apulia and I know for a fact that the food is superb).
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:39 AM

I fear Sardinia is a lot more touristy than Apulia. We're going to Apuglia this July for 3 weeks. All is organized already. Seems wonderful to me.
As for the OP's questions:
- general culture, art history, city strolling: a win for Puglia, no question about that.
- food: from what i've read, and tasted so far... Puglia, Puglia Puglia.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Hi,
Don't know if you have already made your plans, but I just returned from Sardinia and most heartily disagree with all the other postings I read about it. Priced @30 euro per person including taxes and breakfast in no way sounds like jet-set pricing. Absolutely fly or take a ferry to Alghero, Sardinia. Rent a car and base yourselves in Tinnuro, a little town about 40 minutes south of Alghero. There is a wonderful hotel called Anghelos e Istellas there. [email protected] It's new, spotless, warm, and inexpensive @30 Euro per person including taxes and breakfast. Angelo is a fantastic cook. Istellas is a sweetheart, who will bend backwards to please you. Tinnuro, also known as the city of murals, because of the life sized murals painted on the building and homes, is minutes from places that introduce you to the flavors and sites of Sardinia. The adjoining town Flussio is known for their basket weaving - see the ladies drying their reeds on the sidewalks, etc. Within minutes there is Bosa Marina with its pristine beaches and waters and fresh seafood. The Nuraghes are everywhere. Neptunes Grotto is a sight to see. We just returned. See our review of the hotel on www.booking.com. We loved every minute of it. Hope this gave you a more accurate view of the island.
Jo

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:36 AM
LJ

Another vote fo Puglia/Apulia. We have visted this little known but terrificly interesting region 5 times now. If you get far enough down the road to need reccos for hotels or the Apulian version of a villa, the masseria, come back on line. We had a fantastic experience there and happy to share hiking, food and lodging tips.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM

Appreciate the votes for Puglia as we are planning a few days there this summer - end of August. (I know, it's hot, but that's when our Northern Italian relatives are available.

Would appreciate info on "must do's" and "forget this" in the area between Bari and Lecce (or even south of Lecce) and also recommendations for lodging.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM

Hi KS - We spent a lovely week on the scenic Gargano peninsular - but that's north of Bari.

Steve
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
kja

Hi, KSSD -

Just 1/2 hour north of Bari, Trani has a very impressive cathedral, a pleasant harbor, and a few other interesting features. You might consider spending some time there.

Enjoy!