Puglia Restaurants

Search

Puglia Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puglia Restaurants

I will be in Puglia in June. I've read all the trip reports and planning threads. A lot of restaurant recommendations are for places outside of cities, but I won't have a car, so I'm looking for suggestions of places in the center of these towns. Not looking for Michelin-type restaurants, although I don't mind an occasional splurge. I just want good local food. Probably will be eating a lot of seafood, which I love! I have a good amount for Lecce, but that doesn't mean I would be adverse to more suggestions. Mainly need ideas for:

Brindisi
Polignano a Mare
Bari

Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:42 AM

Following along as I am heading to the region myself. Susan, do you mind sharing your Lecce restaurant suggestions?
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Here's my list for Lecce, mostly from trip reports from studenttobe and zebec:

Trattatoria Nonna Tetti, Piazzetta Regina Maria 17 – simple, rustic, wonderful - [email protected]

La Putea Osteria e Ristoro, Via Principi di Savoia 4/6 - simple, rustic, and wonderful – Mon-Sat noon-midnight, Sun 4-midnight

Pescheria con Cottura, Via dei Mocenigo 23 - little more upscale – M-F 7:30-11:30, S/S/Hol 12:30-3, 7:30-11:30 – [email protected]

Caffe’ Alvino (or Pasticceria Naatale) was where I got my pasticciotto and rustico fix.

All Ombra del barocco (breakfast, live music and more)

La Cucina Di Mamma Elvira, Via Ludovico Maremonti 33 – vino/specialties from Martina Franca – Sun 12-1, M, W-Sat 6-1, closed Tues

La Prelibatezza and also L’Angolo della Puccia (perfectly acceptable budget sandwich/puccia take outs)

Doble Zero (doubles as a deli)

La Veccia Osteria, Viale Francesco Lo Re 9 - longstanding local family favorite for Calabrian dishes- Tues-Sun 12:30-2:30, 7:30-11:30

Gelato: Martinucci Pasticceri, Via Giacomo Arditi 11 -(Lecce & Gallipoli) plus: both are stylish and very good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 12:25 PM

Thanks, Susan!
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 02:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Polignano a Mare

Meraviglioso
Covo dei Saraceno
Casa Mia
and the most famous place of all is Super Mago del Gelo!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

You're welcome, Travel_Nerd.
Thanks, HappyTrvlr. I do have Super Mago del Gelo for gelato on my list! 😀

Last edited by SusanP; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Bari, I really enjoyed Al Sorso Preferito, a traditional, nice restaurant where for the first time I tried spaghetti all'assassina and sporcamuss (dessert), and also had some excellent mussels. Read about it on the Puglia Guys blog/website (found a number of excellent restaurants throughout Puglia from their site, plus used Hungry Onion and the Slow Food Osterie d'Italia app). I think there are buckets of great places to eat in Bari--not to mention the focaccia!--but unfortunately I only had one night there.

https://www.pugliaguys.com/2023/03/04/assassina/

Last edited by Leely2; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 05:37 PM

re: Lecce, I think you must mean Doppiozero, right?

Keep in mind La Cucina Di Mamma Elvira, where I had an excellent lunch, also has an enoteca that serves light fare--different location in Lecce. Reservations for La Cucina probably advisable but I dropped by for a drink/aperitivo at the enoteca a couple times and was seated right away. Mamma Elvira also has an oyster house if that's of interest.

In Lecce, I also liked 63 Osteria Contemporanea. Tranquil dining room, family establishment, the wife is the chef. Husband runs front of house. Just outside the center, this was in the Slow Food guide.

Last edited by Leely2; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 05:42 PM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
In Bari, I really enjoyed Al Sorso Preferito, a traditional, nice restaurant where for the first time I tried spaghetti all'assassina and sporcamuss (dessert), and also had some excellent mussels. Read about it on the Puglia Guys blog/website (found a number of excellent restaurants throughout Puglia from their site, plus used Hungry Onion and the Slow Food Osterie d'Italia app). I think there are buckets of great places to eat in Bari--not to mention the focaccia!--but unfortunately I only had one night there.

https://www.pugliaguys.com/2023/03/04/assassina/
Thanks. I love mussels and always want to try new things, and I will definitely check out that website.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
re: Lecce, I think you must mean Doppiozero, right?

Keep in mind La Cucina Di Mamma Elvira, where I had an excellent lunch, also has an enoteca that serves light fare--different location in Lecce. Reservations for La Cucina probably advisable but I dropped by for a drink/aperitivo at the enoteca a couple times and was seated right away. Mamma Elvira also has an oyster house if that's of interest.

In Lecce, I also liked 63 Osteria Contemporanea. Tranquil dining room, family establishment, the wife is the chef. Husband runs front of house. Just outside the center, this was in the Slow Food guide.
Thank you, I did know about the enoteca in a different location.
You're probably right about that spelling!
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 08:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Going through travel notes from our Oct 23 visit to Puglia :
Bari : We gorged on focaccia here - Santa Rita, El Focaccerio, Magda - all very good. Btw, theres a L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele outlet in Bari, not sure if as good as Naples, but certainly less busy. Gentile for gelato.
Polignano : Great casual fare at Frume. Save space for Super Mago (their special coffee is a must try) and Gusto Caruso (incredible gelato, and unique flavours)
Lecce : Terrific pizza by the slice at Pizza & Co., just around the corner from the cathedral. Baldo for gelato, and Natale for pastry.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 07:06 AM

As ANUJ wrote, above, SUPER MAGO DEL GELO is renowned throughout Pugla for their gelato, and especially, their granite and their "special coffee". The place itself oozes an old fashioned charm.
This place, at the entrance to thee historic Centro, has been family owned since the 1930s and it's a "do not miss" in Polignano.

Also take a look at OSTERIA CHICHIBIBO in Polignano. Fish and seafood. Not inexpensive, but good seafood never is.

I'm sorry I don't have more; most of the places we ate, except for in Lecce, required a car.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Feb 23rd, 2024 at 07:08 AM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ANUJ, I love focaccia. I have a feeling I'll be having that for lunch every day!

And I'll be eating plenty of gelato!

Thank you, too, ek, I will check out the seafood place. Of course, I have read your threads and knew most of your restaurants needed a car.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 10:58 AM

I hope you have a great trip! What itinerary did you decide on? I'm guessing you have elected to use public transportation only?

You can probably pick up a guided day-trip here and there semi-on-the-fly while in Puglia if you want to go places not easily served by public transport. I had a car, but it seemed as if there were quite a few options, especially if you're basing in touristy places like PaM and Lecce and/or big hub cities like Bari and Brindisi.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I move more slowly that most! My itinerary changed a few times, but now I am doing:
Fly into Brindisi, 4 nights there (jet lag seems to bother me more as I get older, so I like 4 nights in my first place)
5 nights Lecce with day trip with driver, still working on this, probably to Otranto & Gallipoli & possibly a third place
5 nights Polignano a Mare with day trip to Alberobello and day trip to Monopoli
3 nights Bari
5 nights Rome
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SusanP
I move more slowly that most! My itinerary changed a few times, but now I am doing:
Fly into Brindisi, 4 nights there (jet lag seems to bother me more as I get older, so I like 4 nights in my first place)
Sounds wonderful. If jet lag doesn't hit you too hard, you could probably take a bus from Brindisi to Ostuni for a day/half-day. I seem to remember it's only about 30 minutes and not as dicey of a schedule as other lines in Puglia.

As with Sicily, I found the TA Puglia forum quite useful, as so many locals and frequent visitors to Puglia seem to "hang out" there. This thread about trips from Brindisi via public transit may be helpful should you find yourself with itchy feet and more energy than expected:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...si_Puglia.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Leely, I appreciate the info and will check it all out!
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 08:20 AM

I'm not at all sure bout 4 nights in Brindisi city. You could fly into Bari and spend 4 nights there...OR arrive and take a driver or taxi (or bus??) to a town not too far from the airport and skip your time in Brindisi. See if there are buses from Brindisi airport to nearby towns,, or from Bari airport. Also, it's only an hour from Bari to Matera and there is public transport to Matera, not sure if from city or airport.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

ek, I already have my flight into Brindisi and have the time in Bari at the end of my Puglia time, so I don't want to change that. All hotels are booked. In my research, I actually found a number of things in Brindisi that look interesting, but I will consider the idea of going someplace close to Brindisi at the start. Thanks for the input!
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 12:31 PM

Trenitalia runs a "Trulli Link" bus from Bari, possibly seasonal?

https://www.trenitalia.com/it/treni_...ulli-link.html

If you get to Ceglie Messapica, I highly recommend Cibus for lunch.

I think CM is known for having numerous excellent restaurants and it is an interesting and charming town. But Cisternino and Martina Franca are both lovely as well. Alberobello was just okay to me, though I understand wanting to see it.

Sorry to bombard you with info--I would like to revisit Basilicata and Puglia in the next couple of years so I'm keeping my eye on transit options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -