Puglia- Italy - In August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me how busy and crowded Puglia is in august ? We are thinking of renting a villa and visiting towns, countryside and seaside.
Last year we found Sicily lovely but heaving with tourists (just like us) . Is Puglia any quieter ?

Many thanks

Andy and family
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Any areas near the sea (meaning beach) in August in Italy will be packed. Areas away from the sea are wonderful. It isn't just Italians. All of Europe goes on vacation in August.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM

August is the month when most Italians take their vacations. Puglia will be heaving with Italians and foreign tourists. Also, accommodation prices are highest in August.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
LJ

It is both busy and HOT...we have family who live on the ocean in Puglia and were there in August a couple of years ago and found our best strategy was to get up really early (like 5 or 6 am) and get to the beach before the German (and other) tourists got there...we got our swim in, went back home for breakfast (and morning naps!) then toured the amazingly untouristy interior of Puglia during the day and went back for swims and wonderful seaside meals during the early evenings.

It can be done, but it is VERY warm and the area is prone to spectacular storms with thunder and lightening at this time of year.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM

good advice LJ. Puglia will be chocabloc in august. its a top spot though so dont let that put you off, you just have to adopt the right strategy like LJ suggests.

If you can avoid the main tourist hotspots for accomodation you can have a relatively cheap holiday as well. Like for example not sleeping in Alberobello but staying in nearby Castellana instead.. ..for example.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM

I understand if August is the only month you can go. Our family is in Ischia (next to Capri). Because our children are all grown we are able to go in the spring and fall. When they were younger we went at the end of June. Even that wasn't good because of the heat and vacationers. But August is worse because of the European vacation. If it's the only time you can go....definitely go.....no question. If there's another month you can go.....even better.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the advice !

We have a school age daughter so we really do have to go in august. We have all agreed to get up early for our swim and the beach (although 5 am was not accepted - we are still in negotiation on the exact hour !) .

Could anyone advise on a good location for a villa, there seem to be a lot on offer. We like culture and nature as much as the sea and the beach. We will have a car.

A few suggestions for top visits would be welcomed too as there is not a lot in the UK guide books for Puglia.

Many thanks !

Andy
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM
kja

I enjoyed visitiing Lecce, Alberobello, Trani (especially for the cathedral), and Polignano a Mare. I also enjoyed Matera, which is actually just outside Puglia.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:18 AM

@AndyZ: In August Puglia is really full of people, at least on the sea places, that's because there are some of the best beaches in Italy. The best beaches are in Gargano area, near Ostuni and in Salento. You can stay better in the countryside. There is so much to visit, eat and do, so it depends where you want to go: Puglia is quite long so you have to focus on one or two areas, in my opinion. Of course, It all depends from how many days you will be in Puglia. Valle d'Itria is wonderfull and here you can stay in a traditional trullo: you will never forget it! If you want the best sea you have to move on the south, in Salento area and here you can stay in an ancient farmhouse, for example or in a villa in front of the sea (there are really beautiful restored famrhouse in the countryside, I suggest you them, and you can go to the sea in few minutes). In Valle d'Itria you can see: Alberobello, Cisternino, Locorotondo, Marina Franca, lovely small cities. In Salento: Lecce (called the Florence of the South), Otranto, Gallipoli, Castro, Santa Maria di Leuca, ... Have a look at my photo set of Lecce here: http://tinyurl.com/yhq5dfg. To finish: in august there are a lot of people, but if you chose a nice place for you villa it will be ok anyway
BTW, I live in the middle of the Negroamaro wine area and wines are another good product of Puglia!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Well , thanks for all the advice everyone. We've booked a villa outside Ostuni for a week in mid august.Andy Z

PS I've now posted another question about what to visit as we drive down from Rome! We have four or five days and want to enjoy the journey.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
LJ

AndyZ...will check out your other question, but just wanted to add that, given your Ostuni locale (I am looking at a picture of 'the White City' as I type, know it and love it) you will enjoy Alberobello, Cisternino (a couple of really good restaurants here-search here and you will find a review), Locorotondo, Marina Franca and Pezzo de Greco.

The market in Ostuni is one of the very few authentic mixed variety left in Italy with local farmers and fishers coming into town to sell their goods.

Look for locally made red-clay based pottery with roosters and the traditional blue striped pattern.

And check out the many dishes made with orrecchiete (little ear)pasta and the local olive oil, the finest in all Italy (well, don't expect the Tuscans to agree, but this is my humble opinion!)