Search

Puglia in November

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puglia in November

Hello-

We are planning a trip to Italy and our dates aren't quite set, but it looks like it will end up being in November. We plan to have 3 weeks on the ground and plan to spend two of those weeks in Puglia. We are in the process of trying to determine 2 or 3 base locations for the visit and would appreciate any thoughts you have. We typically prefer the smaller less touristy towns, but didn't know how quiet things would be in mid November. Is that a bad time of year to visit Puglia?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 04:24 PM
kja

I haven't been to Puglia in November, but I would suggest that you consider Lecce as one of your bases. It's got a range of things to do, a good selection of restaurants, and -- because it is a university town -- it will have a sense of "life" about it even off-season. And it is, IMO, a delightful city! (I'm generally not a fan of the Baroque, but the buildings here are so completely over-the-top, and done with such humor, that I couldn't help but enjoy it. YMMV.)

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 04:41 PM

I second the idea of Lecce as a base. Didn't go in November either but can't see it as a problem. Gorgeous towns around like Otranto, Gallipoli, Martina Franca, Locorotondo, Ostuni, Alberobello... all accessible by local transport. These are places that don't rely on tourism so much, have lives of their own. Plus a string of little places along the coast south of Bari.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM

I am really surprised to hear a description of Alberobello and Otranto as not reliant on tourism. Overall, you should expect coastal Puglia to be very, very quiet in November. Long stretches of it will be completely shut down. Keep your gas tank topped up.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 01:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As others say, very quiet, possbily damp. I'd see if you can book into something like a cookery course or a yoga course so make sure you get to see some local life.

Lecce is a great place to base. Depending on your interests and transport I might also look at Gioia or Martina Franca though Foggia (though I don't know it) is more logical if you want to see "the heel".

If you want anything in the Lecce area "Yle" at http://www.yltourcongressi.it/ could organise most things and is not expensive
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
November isn't a good time as the temperatures will be low for the region, it may well be very wet, an awful lot of places could very well be closed for the winter and the daylight hours will be short. There certainly won't be many tourists on the ground and you'd therefore have no problems with there being lots of people anywhere.