Puglia in Early October?

Search

Puglia in Early October?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puglia in Early October?

We are trying to figure out where to go next fall and are considering Puglia. We will have 2 weeks and cannot leave before September 29th. I have read differing things about the weather in October. We don't really care about whether it is warm enough to swim, but I don't want gray rainy days. Is the weather the first two weeks of October usually okay?
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 03:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We arrived in Puglia on October 3 last year and stayed two weeks. Hot to warm, always sunny while we were there. It never rained. Enjoy your trip, lots to see and explore. And the fresh seafood and Primitivo wine are wonderful.
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 04:53 PM
kja

Although no one can predict the weather, you can get good climate data at weatherbase.com
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 05:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We were there late Sept, early Oct a few years ago. We had great weather.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 12:13 AM

It's usually rather sunny and warm and the seawater will still be warmer than 20 decrees centigrade, although most beaches will be closed (except those frequented by people from Northern Europe). But in the last years, weather got more and more unpredictable (due to climate change). This year, there were heavy rainfalls and inundations even end July (Thyrrenian Sea) and in early November (Apulia).
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your feedback. I realize weather is unpredictable, especially these days, but it’s good to know that no one is saying early October is a crazy time to go. Still trying to decide whether to do Puglia or Sicily. I have lots of research to do!
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Digbydog
Thank you all very much for your feedback. I realize weather is unpredictable, especially these days, but it’s good to know that no one is saying early October is a crazy time to go. Still trying to decide whether to do Puglia or Sicily. I have lots of research to do!
Our trip to Puglia in 2016 was early October. The weather could not have been better. We have spent many Octobers in Italy and nearly always have had warm sunny days, and, of course, fewer tourists. Here is our trip report: 7 days/6 nights in Puglia
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 07:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We flew from Bari to Palermo and toured Sicily too! It is an easy combination to do. Volotea Airlines flies directly, non stop, Bari to Palermo,50 minutes. Other airlines go through Rome with a layover.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll find all beach fronts more or less closed down. Read TA carefully before making reservations as hotels empty out and restaurants limit their hours. Other than that you'll be fine
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 04:46 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Digbydog
Still trying to decide whether to do Puglia or Sicily. !
If it helps you decide, with two weeks, you can just barely see MOST of the highlights of Sicily.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Kja—thank you for that info. I am leaning towards Sicily for a number of reasons, including Bilboburglar’s comment that much on the beachfront is closed. But more importantly, I think it would be a good 2 week trip.

Whitehall—I will read your trip report, and maybe I’ll be back to Puglia. 😬
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 06:17 AM

"I am leaning towards Sicily for a number of reasons, including Bilboburglar’s comment that much on the beachfront is closed."

Well, I guess that's how it is in Sicily as well and pretty much anywhere in the Mediterranean. Tourist season is winding down by October.

I thought you're going to travelling, not for a beach holiday.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 06:28 AM

You will enjoy either or both Puglia and Sicily in the fall. Closed beaches mean fewer tourists, more parking and better service and attention at many good restaurants and stores that remain open. We have been to Sicily multiple times for relatively short visits. You don't need to do it all in one visit. Our son last year was swimming in November (southern Sicily) and they happily split their time between Taormina and Ortigia.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 06:51 AM

I see the beaches being closed as positive, the Roman/Norman remains will be easy access, parking easier and the poorer restaurants closed. The interior towns of the area and generally lovely little pearls encapsulated in pretty awful shells. I'd advise renting small cars rather than take upgrades as traditional centres of town are pretty tight.

Of the two (they used to be called "the two Sicilies") I prefer Puglia, the local mafia are famously less competent, the historic sites less well known but pretty good and to mind, the wine is better. Sicily itself has some 7 or 8 world heritage sites and is worth a visit.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

BDKR--I said we don't care about swimming, but I do enjoy coastal towns. If poorer restaurants are closed, that is no issue, but I don't want to visit towns that have closed up for the season. We visited Capri in October a number of years ago. It did not feel like it had closed for the season, but there were fewer tourists. That is what I am looking for.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 08:21 AM

There are some interesting coastal towns, normally fortified and ancient, but they are very different from beach towns. Why? Well in times past, the coast was a place where slavers would raid to take you away. So while Bari, for example, is a great little fortified town, it was designed to beat off slavers. The Puglian beach holiday is specially designed to satisfy tourists who come for 3 months in the summer.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Interesting!
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
When we were in Puglia during that time frame, most places were still open. Over the weekends there were people swimming in the sea. We did go to one sea-front town, Selvatore which only had a few restaurants open and the town itself was fairly deserted. Its been quite a few years since we were there, but I'm guessing there are more tourists these days. I adored both trips to Sicily, but in many ways I found Puglia more intriguing & the food more interesting. As someone mentioned you can see some of Sicily, but not all in 2 weeks. Our first trip there was about that long. You can't go wrong with either.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 09:56 AM

"We visited Capri in October a number of years ago. It did not feel like it had closed for the season, but there were fewer tourists. That is what I am looking for."

No worries, that's what you're going to find in Puglia and Sicily. There are few if any purpose built beach resorts. Most coastal towns are normal cities where locals live year round.

"Well in times past, the coast was a place where slavers would raid to take you away. So while Bari, for example, is a great little fortified town, it was designed to beat off slavers."

That's one reason for the maze like alleys in old towns. To confuse invaders and assist defenders.

Otranto experienced not only pirate raids, but also a full scale siege. You can see the gruesome relics in the cathedral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrs_of_Otranto
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 10:21 AM

If you go to Puglia I would add in a couple of nights in Matera, which is technically in Basilicata, the region next to Puglia.
It is one of the most interesting places I have ever visited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -