Puglia Help June 2023

Search

Puglia Help June 2023

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puglia Help June 2023

hi all! Planning a 3 week trip June 1-22 to Puglia region. Flying into Brindisi renting car
. Plan is
- 5 nights in Lecce - with day trips to Otranto and Gallipoli
4 nights in Alberobello - day trips to Locorotundo Martina Franca and Matera
5 nights in Polignani di Mare - day trips to Monopoli Ostuni
5 nights in Rome before flying home.

Having never been to this area, any advice on the breakdown? Are these good bases?Is this a good use of time? Im researching either hotels or apartments now. I’d prefer hotels but with the length of stay I may need an apartment to do some laundry. Any advice welcome. Thank you!

and another question regarding the forum. How to you reply to a specific response?
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 02:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed at Hotel Covo dei Saraceni in beautiful Polignano a Mare. Their laundry service took longer than we wanted, so we walked through town to the other side of town to a very nice laundromat in a very local neighborhood. The attendant did our laundry for us so we could use that time to enjoy more of the town in an area we never would have seen if not for the laundromat! It looks like you have good bases but perhaps more than you need. I would not want to stay in Alberobello, perhaps stay in Locorotundo instead and do a half day visit to Alberobello.
You will love Puglia!
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 03:00 PM

error
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!p HappyTrvlr

I was looking at Covo dei Saraceni but they only had rooms in the annex left so I may choose something else. Thank you so much for the tips for laundry in town as well as Locorotundo as a base. Much appreciated !
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 05:33 PM

Matera deserves a visit of several days. We were there for only 2 nights and I wish we had a third night. I loved Lecce and think that you’ll enjoy your stay there. We also loved Polignano a Mare.

I don’t know where you plan to stay in Alberobello. It’s a fun and interesting place to visit (trulli!), but it is such a tourist destination that I’d probably not stay there, unless of course, you’ve found a lovely place outside of the town.

We weren’t there nearly as long as you’re staying, but please do think about a few days in Matera. You won’t regret it.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
Matera deserves a visit of several days. We were there for only 2 nights and I wish we had a third night. I loved Lecce and think that you’ll enjoy your stay there. We also loved Polignano a Mare.

I don’t know where you plan to stay in Alberobello. It’s a fun and interesting place to visit (trulli!), but it is such a tourist destination that I’d probably not stay there, unless of course, you’ve found a lovely place outside of the town.

We weren’t there nearly as long as you’re staying, but please do think about a few days in Matera. You won’t regret it.
thank you so much! Will look into fitting in a stay in Matera.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 06:17 PM

Matera- read “Christ Stopped at Ebola” by Carlo Levi to understand the history of this town. The tragic stories of Matera were haunting and I had a difficult time moving on while there.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Feb 14th, 2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Matera- read “Christ Stopped at Ebola” by Carlo Levi to understand the history of this town. The tragic stories of Matera were haunting.
thank you!
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:07 PM

Yo KB,
Below is our Puglia TR. It might have a tip or two. Sorry no photos yet.
I am done. the end
Bella Puglia (also Basilicata and Rome)
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good time of year, not too hot

I'd stay in a B&B in Lecce in the old town. Locals are very proud of the area and they will tell you all you need to know. Parking is a bitch and the narrow streets are not for the feint/faint hearted. So, firstly get as small a car as you can live with, narrow streets and large cars do not mix. Do get AC for the car. AC for a modern building is important but for older buildings AC is less important as they were designed for the heat more. Ask your B&B owner where to park and they will give you advice how to park and how to find your may in. This is more interesting than staying in an international hotel on the outskirts or modern town. Many B&B have a roof top terrace, makes for lovely mornings and evenings. Do not expect Northern European standards of service or North American (you may find it but don't get upset if you don't). Just enter the experience with a more chilled attitude.

You may prefer to use local trains to visit some of the towns from Lecce. Do not get put off by the outskirts of some of these towns looking a bit drab with graffiti and litter, the ancient centres are little pearls.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Feb 14th, 2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 03:24 AM

I’m posting my trip report (which has a lot of photos) from our visit in 2021. We also stayed in Polignano in a quirky but delightful Airbnb and a very charming B&b in Lecce. We took day trips to some of the places you mention wanting to visit. We also stayed in Matera in one of the cave hotels. This might give you a sense of what you’ll be seeing.

I think I posted the links to the accommodations in my trip report, but in case you’re interested in any of them and I didn’t, let me know.

From the Adriatic to the Tyrrhenian: Part 2 - ITALY!
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 05:55 AM

5 nights in Lecce - with day trips to Otranto and Gallipoli

I love the breakdown of four and five nights stays, but you might consider merging the Itria Valley and nearby coast stay so you can insert a stop in Matera. You can visit all of the places in your middle two stays from one location. I feel like Matera warrants an overnight (plus the drive for a day trip is longer).
Lecce can be challenging to drive in and out of, but that is only because all of the other driving is so easy. Just lots of roundabouts. take it slow and you'll be fine. We stayed at Roof Barocco Suites twice, and they have dedicated parking. No washer though. We rented an apartment in Monopoli from HelloApulia, and they had some great apartments in Polignano too. https://www.helloapulia.com/it/
My apartment in Cisternino (w/ washer) was through AirBnB.
In Matera, Torretta ai Sassi is fabulous--learned about that one here.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 10:03 AM

We went last May and stayed just outside of Monopoli in a lovely agritorismo, Santo Stephano with Gisella Alba for a week and saw the vast majority of the places you mention, and then some. Those towns are small, it doesn't take long to visit many of them. With three weeks at your disposal, I'd recommend stretching your wings and seeing other areas. So many days in places that are very close, I don't know, I wouldn't. but that's me. Alberobello is overrun with tourists and kitchy shops. it's worth a day visit but after that.... Puglia is beautiful though and whatever you decide will make for a trip full of memories.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebec
Yo KB,
Below is our Puglia TR. It might have a tip or two. Sorry no photos yet.
I am done. the end
Bella Puglia (also Basilicata and Rome)
thank you Zebec
i have already read your fabulous trip report and have taken many notes!
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
good time of year, not too hot

I'd stay in a B&B in Lecce in the old town. Locals are very proud of the area and they will tell you all you need to know. Parking is a bitch and the narrow streets are not for the feint/faint hearted. So, firstly get as small a car as you can live with, narrow streets and large cars do not mix. Do get AC for the car. AC for a modern building is important but for older buildings AC is less important as they were designed for the heat more. Ask your B&B owner where to park and they will give you advice how to park and how to find your may in. This is more interesting than staying in an international hotel on the outskirts or modern town. Many B&B have a roof top terrace, makes for lovely mornings and evenings. Do not expect Northern European standards of service or North American (you may find it but don't get upset if you don't). Just enter the experience with a more chilled attitude.

You may prefer to use local trains to visit some of the towns from Lecce. Do not get put off by the outskirts of some of these towns looking a bit drab with graffiti and litter, the ancient centres are little pearls.
thank you for all the info! i am currently booked at a b&b in Lecce! And we will take your advice and get a small car!
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
I’m posting my trip report (which has a lot of photos) from our visit in 2021. We also stayed in Polignano in a quirky but delightful Airbnb and a very charming B&b in Lecce. We took day trips to some of the places you mention wanting to visit. We also stayed in Matera in one of the cave hotels. This might give you a sense of what you’ll be seeing.

I think I posted the links to the accommodations in my trip report, but in case you’re interested in any of them and I didn’t, let me know.

From the Adriatic to the Tyrrhenian: Part 2 - ITALY!
thank you! Looking forward to reading your trip report!
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yorkshire
5 nights in Lecce - with day trips to Otranto and Gallipoli

I love the breakdown of four and five nights stays, but you might consider merging the Itria Valley and nearby coast stay so you can insert a stop in Matera. You can visit all of the places in your middle two stays from one location. I feel like Matera warrants an overnight (plus the drive for a day trip is longer).
Lecce can be challenging to drive in and out of, but that is only because all of the other driving is so easy. Just lots of roundabouts. take it slow and you'll be fine. We stayed at Roof Barocco Suites twice, and they have dedicated parking. No washer though. We rented an apartment in Monopoli from HelloApulia, and they had some great apartments in Polignano too. https://www.helloapulia.com/it/
My apartment in Cisternino (w/ washer) was through AirBnB.
In Matera, Torretta ai Sassi is fabulous--learned about that one here.
thank you Yorkshire for all your tips and suggestions! Based on the helpful comments I am going to nix the stay in Alberobello and stay in Matera for 2.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeboots
We went last May and stayed just outside of Monopoli in a lovely agritorismo, Santo Stephano with Gisella Alba for a week and saw the vast majority of the places you mention, and then some. Those towns are small, it doesn't take long to visit many of them. With three weeks at your disposal, I'd recommend stretching your wings and seeing other areas. So many days in places that are very close, I don't know, I wouldn't. but that's me. Alberobello is overrun with tourists and kitchy shops. it's worth a day visit but after that.... Puglia is beautiful though and whatever you decide will make for a trip full of memories.
thank you BlueRidgeboots for your helpful comments. I am going to forego our stay in Alberobello and stay in Matera a few days instead.
thanks again!
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by kaybee
thank you BlueRidgeboots for your helpful comments. I am going to forego our stay in Alberobello and stay in Matera a few days instead.
thanks again!
Good decision!
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 08:30 AM

Glad you aren’t staying in Alberbello but do visit for a half day as it certainly is unique. I would not want to stay in Matera but do that as a day trip. Our visit there was focused on the horrid conditions the citizens who lived in the cave homes endured. It really was hard to get past that vision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -