Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Public transport or car in Umbria or Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thrilled to be going to Umbria and Tuscany on our honeymoon. I have a strong preference for taking trains or buses because you the locals more and its more relaxing (I get tense driving). But I don't know if we can realistically do our itinerary with public transport.

1. 3 days in Citte della Pieve near Chiusi
We plan a day trip by bus to Perugia during this time. The hotel tells us this is possible.

2. 2 days in Spoleto (I assume we can get to Spoleto by train). But we would like to stop off on the way to see Orvieto. We'll have our luggage with us and its hard to find out if there would be a place to leave our luggage while there.

3. Public transport from Spoleto to Assisi (I believe we can take the train)for 1 night.

4. Public transport to Siena for one night.

5. Public transport to San Gimignano; staying for five nights (actually, just outside San Gimignano) while we plan to do hiking or day trips by bus to Volterra and other local places, perhaps back to Siena.

6. Public transport to Lucca.

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations people might have on transport. Thanks!

Curious123

Old May 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM

I spent a total of 5 weeks in Umbria/Tuscany last year. I can't even imagine doing it without a car. You will miss SO much (though of course you won't know what you're missing)!

Citta delle Pieve is a darling town, BTW. I spent several very enjoyable mornings having cappucino and cornetto and reading the newspaper in the main square there.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:22 PM

I agree. You will spend all of your time waiting for the bus. A car is the only good way to see it.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM

be exrememly careful on overnight trains in Italy. Twice friends were "gassed" and all the contents of their wallets were cleaned out. Ether was sprayed into the air ducts in the compartment while they were sleeping, thieves stole everything but their passports.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM

y all means, drive. YOU will get so
much more out of you trip. I would
rent a smaller car because of the narrow streets. check out www.autoeurope.com.
a

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Hi Curious,

Definitely get a car. You will actually find it more relaxing than trying to go by buses and trains. You can stop for photo ops any time and any place. You can explore! Driving in the countryside is a breeze.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate them and this makes it much easier to make the decision. I also appreciate the comments about Citte della Pieve.