Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pssst! I'll tell you my best travel tips/secrets if you tell me yours!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we all have our little travels things we do to make our trips easier. And we probably think the things we do are not all that unique. But chances are...you do something that others haven't thought of yet.

So, I thought maybe we could all share our helpful tips and secrets for easy and hopefully stress free travel.

Please post your tips and feel free to come back and add more!

I used to pack a suit case inside a suit case so that I would have a spare one for the trip home...especially handy for the purchases made along the way. Well with weight restrictions, this is no longer a good idea. So here are my tips:

#1 - I always pack a lightweight nylon duffle bag inside my suitcase. This serves 2 purposes -- it gives me a extra room on the trip home for either purchases or even for dirty laundry AND if my suit case weighs too much, I can shift things out of case and into duffle on the flight to destination.

#2 I use TSA approved locks on my suitcase that I check. These give me a bit of peace of mind as to the security of my things.

#3 I pack my clothes in ziplock bags....sorry, I just don't want TSA touching my lingerie etc.

#4 I take a chamois/swimmer's towel with me. These are fake chamois called THE ABSORBER that are sold in auto section of WalMart or in car parts stores. They come in nice colors and are about 2' x 3' in size. I cut them in halfand use one after shower to dry off {no need to worry about how fluufy and absorbent the hotel towels are } and the other is my beach towel. Simply rinse them out when done, squeeze out excess water and let them dry. If you have to pack before they are dry...just pop them in a ziplock bag. They cost around $8 each and they are great.

http://www.autobarn.net/miniabsorber.html

So, let's get those tips rolling in!

Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I see that you have posted the exact same question on the US forum, and have recieved some good replies.

I hate to say it but this question has been beat to death in the near past.

A search will show some creative ideas for travel tips.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I posted the same Q on a couple of forums..I didn't think it would be an issue. I have been following the US board for quite some time and hadn't seen this Q.

I have seen similar types of posts to get folks involved in a sharing of ideas {and which I have also participated} and to have lively conversations take place as well as to share info. It was more in this spirit that the post was done, than necessarily to find travel tips for myself.

Sorry if my post bothered you.
Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Tell me, I have seen the TSA approved luggage locks on QVC and I know there wouldn't be a problem using them here in the US, but I'm worried about using them overseas, have you used them when you traveled abroad?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It really isn't a matter of "bothering" anyone - it is just that most everyone's best travel tips/secrets have been posted on this side many, many times. Seems there is less of that sort of info/exchange over in the United Staes Forum.

We'd just be re-inventing the wheel . . . . .
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM

I just made a reservation for a flight from Paris to Copenhagen on Sterling, a budget airline. Sterling recommends that luggage be locked; since there is no TSA in Europe I'm not sure which lock you use will be much of an issue.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Yes, the question has been posted and answered a few times but there are always new people on the board.
And you never know when some old dogs have learned new tricks and want to share them instead of topping an old thread.

I never lock my bag.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks L84SKY for the supoort! That's what I thought too.

To rapunzll - I have only used the locks in Us and flying to US Virgin Islands. No problems encountered.

I bought my locks at WalMart and paid about $6 for 3 small ones which work great for me.

And yes, my thread may seem to be trying to re-invent the wheel, but I figure if I can help someone like Rapunzll or start a lively thread...no harm. Sometimes you don't even know you have a question until you see a post. And yes, you can do a search...I am often the first one to tell someone that...sometimes its just easier [and more fun] to post a new topic.

Remember, you don't have to read any thread you don't want to. No harm to any one...just helpful stuff...on here.

Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re-invent the wheel?

That's a hoot. it gets re-invented here on an almost daily basis:

What do I pack, wear, eat and say? Stories about stupid Americans. Rick Steves, moneybelts, luggage size, pickpockets, shoes, handbags, shorts, splitting meals, tipping, kids on planes, reclining seats and on and on and on....

Tip: Ignore the negative. Stay open minded and positive. Eat your vegetables.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM

obxgirl, "eat your vegtables" well you are a killjoy, lol.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Why criticize a thread like this?

Beaten to death?

Try shoes, clothes and people who do not speak foreign languages trying to "blend in".

This thread, even if repetitive, is certainly more useful than many threads set up for the sole purpose of starting flame wars.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM

OK - let's get back to the topic of this thread....I always bring a tape measure...great for checking out the length of table runners or deciding whether that print will really fit in the special place in your living room. Doesn't take up any space at all in luggage.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM

What on earth is TSA?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:04 AM

I bring old comfortable shoes that are on the verge of being thrown out and then I toss them before heading back home! More room in the suitcase for new pairs.

Also put my makeup and a clean pair of underwear in my carryon bag in case of lost luggage. I always check my big luggage in as I hate dragging it around with me during those two interminable hours of waiting for my flight and/or at the transfer airport.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Infosteph, I never thought of it as a tip, as such but I too carry a tape measure & there's always a use for it. Also, a small notebook with table measurements, etc.

And while some think they're dorky, I use one of those flat zippered bag that hang around your neck to hold airline tix, boarding passes & passports while navigating through the airport.

I always get to the airport earlier than necessary for my London vacations. On more than one occasion, it has gotten me on a direct flight to JFK when my mileage upgraded original itinerary had me going via San Juan. And I don't mind just having a Coke, reading & people-watching while I wait.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Oh, I also carry those wet-wipe things or baby wipes. They always come in handy.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:44 AM
AllyPally

Carrybean, you stole one of my tips!

- I always carry wetwipes, for dicey toilet situations, cleaning a toilet, wiping my hands, etc. My husband now asks me for them, as he knows I've always got them

- Always pack aspirin in my carry-on. I oonce had to run for an early plane and didn't have time to buy a coffee. nice caffeine withdrawal headache all the way from Singapore to London. Ugh

- I only take travel size toiletries and then stock up when I get to my destination. I love buying foreign products anyway!

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Sheila

Transportation Security Admin.= TSA
Those are the "security" people who check yur luggage and various other duties.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Sheila,

TSA = yank scaremongering nonsense....

http://www.tsa.gov/who_we_are/what_is_tsa.shtm

One of the reasons travelling to the USA is a pain in the arse.

As for tips, you can buy a book (sorry the names gone from my head) with all sorts of pictures in it - different animals, foods, methods of transportation etc. It's suprisingly good for communicating when faced with insurmountable language barriers.

Americans need to be told to bring a flannel - these are provided by hotels over there, not so on this side of the pond.

I find a good penknife/swiss army knife has many uses (in the hold baggage of course).

Also don't assume that any over the counter medicines you use will be available without prescription where you are going.

If you have prescription medication, make sure it's in it's original packaging.

Best to leave the Ivory handled, badger hair shavingbrush at home too.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM

I always carry a small sewing kit and eyeglass cleaner wipes as well as a small eyeglass tool kit. All of these purchased from dollar store and easily packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -