Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provence June 25 to July 3, Does it cool off enough at night not to need A/C in hotel room

Search

Provence June 25 to July 3, Does it cool off enough at night not to need A/C in hotel room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:17 AM
ggrant

I have posted this in a couple of other places, but no reply. I have found a hotel in St. Remy which seems to fit all my needs but no A/C. I am renting a car with A/C so will be cool while driving around during the day. I really feel miserable and cannot sleep when hot at night. I have asthma, so that is a consideration. If it gets in the high 60's or low 70's with a breeze I will be fine. Also a thought, will the hotel in a town like ST. Remy be hotter than renting at a Mas out in the country. I have researched historical temps and checked this board for info, but I would really like to hear some firsthand opinions. My last resort is to stay at a Holiday Inn like, not charming place in Isle SLS which I stayed at for two days before, that has air conditioning and is reasonable. I just got a knock at the door and my tickets came. So excited. Thanks, and please help me with my delimma.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Sheryl

Ggrant,<BR><BR>I think this subject to opinion, but based on your post it doesn't sound like you would be happy without air. When we were in Provence at that time I was extremely uncomfortable without air-conditioning. We stayed primarily at ones that did and really were miserable the few times we didn't. But that is just me and my family. We live in Dallas and it gets extremely hot here. We are accustomed to air-conditioning everywhere. So I find being too warm very unpleasant. What are you used to? Do you normally run your air-conditioning at home? Provence is gorgeous but if you are hot and tired (because you can't sleep in a warm stuffy hotel room) will it be a fun vacation? My rule is air-conditioned only, because I don't like heat, too much outside noise and pollens that might bother ne. If I were you I would consider looking around some more. Possibly basing somewhere else as I understand about not wanting to stay in a Holiday Inn type thing. There are alot of posts here discussing Provence. If you do a search you might find some other hotel choices. Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:09 AM
rj

ggrant; I think you will need A/C. These sorts of things really depend on the individual, but it sounds like you will not be happy without it. Also, who can predict the weather? It could be mild with a cool breeze but that's doubtful. I wouldn't depend on that if I were you. We stayed in a lovely hotel in Arles sans air--no fans even--and it was very hot in July. At the next hotel in Aix, there was air and we were much more comfortable. I try to go with the flow wherever I am, but considering your health problems I would take care of myself and get "air" if I were you. Also, your question about a Mas vs. in town: For me there was no difference-- infact the Mas was hotter and there was definitely no a/c or fan!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Lisa

We were in that area around 10 July last year and it was definitely hot. I would have hated not to have a/c. We stayed in a great little hotel at the foot of Les Baux which was reasonably priced and which had a/c. The rear of our room was carved out of the rock so it was very unique. Great pool and gardens. It was about 8km from St Remy so if you are looking in that area I would recommend it. Le Mas D'aigret http://www.masdaigret.com/. there was another webiste which showed the interior of the rooms so if you did a more extensive search, you would be able to find it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Christina

I also think you should get AC from what you are saying. I've been in that area in early July and I stayed in a place without AC but I'm not that picky. It cooled down at night some with a light breeze (I was outside city) but not down as low as you want. It was a little too hot one night out of a week for me. You'd better get it, but there are some nicer places in that area (definitely not Holiday Inn) with AC as I researched them, they are just more expensive, that's all.