Provence Itinerary

Search

Provence Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence Itinerary

We will be in Provence early October for 7 nights. In reading through the forum, I came up with this list (not in any particular order):
1. Arles
2. Uzès
3. Tarascon
4. Gordes
5. Senanque
6. Rousillon
7. Bonnieux
8. Lacoste
9. Menerbes
10. Aigues-Mortes
11. Cassis/Calanques
12. Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
13. Orange
14. Vaison La Romaine
15. Avignon
16. Nîmes
17. Les Baux
18. Oppède le Vaux
19. Fontaine de Vaucluse
20. Pont du Gard

We are 4 seniors and would like to see the best of Provence without having a physical breakdown. We thought of allowing 2 places in relatve proximity per day.

We will be staying in Cabannes (Avignon—St-Rémy area) and are interested in small towns, history, markets, painters, etc.

In the above list, what are "must do's"? Is Pont du Gard really worth including given the limited time?

Also, there was a mention of hordes of tourists. Are we still in high season in early October, or in a shoulder season for numbers of tourists?

Thanks for your help.

Maureen

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:59 AM

shoulder and getting into off season

great time to go - great weather, not too hot like can be in summer

small towns and painters = Saint Remy, a sleepy Provencal town with the asylum where Van Gogh went after cutting off his ear i believe - painted many now famous works there and you can see reproductions at the points he painted them and these are basically the same as when he put them on canvass
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely try to include Pont du Gard - it's a remarkable sight! I was also impressed with the theater in Orange. Fontaine de Vaucluse was a bit overrun with tourists when I was there, but in October it should be quieter. Take a boat trip from Cassis to see the calanques.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM

You could drop Abbaye de Senanque as the lavender for which they are so well known will be long gone.

I have also read that unless you're in Fontaine de Vaucluse during the spring, it's just not worth the time.

Depending upon where you stay, Cassis would take an entire day to get to and I'm not sure if the boats out into the calanques would be running during October. However, it is a charming harbor village.

From your list, I would choose:

Roussillon
Bonnieux
L'Isle sur la Sorgue
Arles or Nimes (including Pont du Gard)
Gordes
Lourmarin
Oppede le Vieux
Gordes
Vaison la Romaine
Avignon (only if you want to see Palais de Papes) - otherwise, too large a town for me

I have not been to the other towns on your list so have no suggestions for you.

Enjoy the planning!!

joy/luvparee
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I've indicated my suggestions for 7 days as represented by A thru G...

1. Arles A
2. Uzès B
3. Tarascon C
4. Gordes D
5. Senanque D
6. Rousillon D
7. Bonnieux E
8. Lacoste E
9. Menerbes E
10. Aigues-Mortes NO
11. Cassis/Calanques NO
12. Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (+ Venasque) G
13. Orange NO
14. Vaison La Romaine (+ Le Crestet + Séguret) F
15. Avignon C
16. Nîmes NO
17. Les Baux A
18. Oppède le Vaux E
19. Fontaine de Vaucluse NO
20. Pont du Gard B
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM

I like Tuck's list of priorities, except I would definitely include Aigues-Mortes.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM

I too like Aigues-Mortes, but it's a bit out of the way and I couldn't fit it in to combine with another visit.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM

You might want to skip Fontaine de Vaucluse, as in October there won't be much water. The Fontaine is at its most impressive in the spring.

By all means add St-Rémy to your list--and yes, the Pont du Gard is a must-see for anyone interested in Roman history.

I'm glad you've included Tarascon; it's often overlooked but is well worth a visit.

How do you plan to see the calanques? You probably know that you can't drive to them, and it's a long hike. Boat tour?

I'm afraid you'll have to do a bit of pruning with only 7 days. You might want to select just a few of the Lubéron villages, however, and my choices would be Gordes, Roussillon, and Bonnieux--that would give you a nice sampling. Gordes is most stunning when seen from the access road; in the town itself there's not much to see.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM

Bookmarking for Sept. trip ideas
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM

We've been to the area you described three times, for a couple weeks on each visit. We've visited almost all of the places you mention. Here, though, is our list of five "must see" towns/sites:

1) Arles (Van Gogh plus)
2) Rousillon (truly a favorite)
3) Avignon (amazing-a whole day)
4) Les Baux (many, many tourists)
5) Pont du Gard (lots of walking)

Not on your list is St. Remy, and the Wednesday market day there. Written up in most guides as "the best" market day in the region; yes, we agree, not to be missed.

Also, on our last visit, we stayed in the small village of Eygilieres, just 10 km east of St. Remy...it was delightful. So, if you have chance, spend 30 minutes there, too!

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I also have noted Tuck's itinerary for a fall trip to Provence this fall, basing in St Remy.The only change I might make is exchange Vaison & Seguret for Cotes du Rhone villages as we would like to see Chateauneuf du Pape. Which is easiest done from St Remy? It is our first time in Provence.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM

I agree with Tuck's list.

Here it is again - my usual warning about visiting cities on Sundays & Mondays.

Because most/all shops in some towns are closed on Sunday & Monday mornings:

Cities not to visit on Sundays:
Arles
Uzes
Avignon
Nimes
Vaison

Cities not to visit on Monday mornings (before 2:30PM):
all the above cities
St Remy

Do you have my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary? If not, e-mail me at Stu [email protected] & I'll e-mail you a copy.

Stu Dudley

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Châteauneuf-du-Pape is easily reached from the Avignon/St-Rémy area. Alternatively (or perhaps additionally) you could add on the wine road that begins around Beaumes-de-Venise and goes up through Vacqueras and Gigondas.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Norcal. For over ten years we stayed in Eygalieres. The hotel the Auberge de Provençal was sold after a divorce and I understand it is now a private residence. The Petite Bru is now the L'Aubergine resto.
We visted the guy who ran Le Progress across the Auberge when he moved to Siilans-La-Cascade to run a delightful small hotel, Les Pins.
It was one of the best days that last trip in 2007 before my husband died, because he enjoyed that day so much.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM

I like Tuck's suggested "revised" itinerary.

We based in Menerbes last year and it was lovely, however, in my opinion it would be a village to cross off your list if you're trying to do as much as you are trying to do.

I would suggest that when you visit Roussillon, also make a stop at nearby Joucas. We just happened upon this precious village and strolled for about an hour. Lovely little church, narrow passageways, climbing roses, lots of character and charm.

For us, Gordes was most impressive for taking photos from a distance. We didn't find it particularly outstanding otherwise.

Apt was my favorite market (Saturday)! Sur la Sorgue was beautiful and its market was more diverse but overall Apt was my preferred market day experience.

Even though the Abbaye isn't going to be "in bloom", we saw it in April and it's a very lovely place to visit even without the lavendar. Their gift shop is wonderful. Worth an hour of your time and it's very convenient to make that stop.

A trip to Cassis/Calanque would definitely eat up a lot of your time but if you're looking to get diversity in your sightseeing experience then by all means fit it in.

In my opinion, Arles, Orange, Avignon, Nimes and St. Remy are all "larger" towns and take up so much more of your time. I would limit myself to visiting 2 of them max. I can say that St. Remy is a good choice but we didn't visit the others. We did go to Aix and it was interesting. We found that we really mostly enjoyed the smaller villages - easier to get to, get parked and explore.

Don't eliminate Les Baux - what a wonderful village. And if you guys are fairly "fit" - be certain to see the ruins. Also noteworthy is the Santon museum in the old church.

We didn't make it to the Pont du Gard but everyone seems to place it very high on the list - we're returning to the Luberon in October and it has gone to the top of our "must see" list.

You will be returning from your trip about the time we are leaving - I hope you will quickly post a trip report so my husband and I can benefit from your experiences!!!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:45 AM

The area is covered with vines so you should focus some of your time on some of the top wine villages to get a true feel for the local culture. The villages of Gigondas on the Dentelles de Montmirail hills and Chateauneuf-du-Pape are a must. The wine scenery is stunning and the wines are fantastic. I thoroughly recommend Olivier Hickman as a local wine expert guide (www.wine-uncovered.com). We found him from tips on the Wall of www.ricksteves.com and also tripadvisor. He well exceeded our expectations
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM

One doesn't go to Les Baux to see the village. The big attraction is the ruins of the feudal stronghold atop the hill, the one-time lair of the "Wolves of Provence." The château and other buildings were destroyed on the orders of Cardinal Richelieu, but enough remains to give you an idea of what the citadel was like.

Don't miss the small church (that's where the Mass of the Shepherds takes place at Christmas) and the santon museum opposite.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:34 AM

I agree with others that the Pont du Gard is a must see for anyone interested in Roman history. It is close to/easy to combine with a visit to Uzes.

I agree with caroltis that the Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque is well worth a visit even when the lavender is not in bloom. It is one of the three great Romanesque abbeys in Provence (the others are Silvicane and Le Thoronet) and very beautiful

Right outside Saint-Rémy-de-Provence you would probably also want to see Glanum (Greco Roman town) and Les Antiques, a triumphal arch and masoleum

Villeneuve les Avignon across the river from Avignon is worth visiting for its stunning views and for the Chartreuse du Val de Bénédiction
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Stu Dudley -
I emailed a request to you for the itinerary you mentioned. We are in the very beginning planning stages for a trip in October 2009. Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Did I send you the itinerary you requested??? I was gone for 6 weeks and some e-mails aged off my in queue.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -