Provence - is Vaison too remote?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:43 AM
rob

Provence - is Vaison too remote?

Hi -

I am planning a trip to Provence and came across a hotel called Le Beffroi in a village called Vaison la Romaine. The hotel looks spectacular. I've looked at a map and the village appears to be about 30 miles or so northeast of Avignon. Is this too far up to use as a base to explore Provence for a few days?

Thanks!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sue

It is in the northern part of the Provence that everyone wants to see, but nothing is very far away from the other attractive towns/villages. It is not "central", however. We stayed near Gordes and did day trips about 30 miles in different directions each day, including a trip to Vaison la Romaine.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM
cynthia

My husband and I spent one night at Le Beffroi last year. It is a very nice hotel in the old town of Vaison la Romaine. However, if your goal is to see Provence I would stay further south. Avignon is a great central location and there are hotels there that I like better than Le Beffroi--Hotel d'europe for example. It would be a lot of driving back and forth, plus the parking in the old town is very difficult. When I think of Provence I think of Arles, Aix, Les Beau, Pont du Gard, St. Remy, Chateauneuf du Pape--all in the south.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Christina

I was there last summer, and I agree that it is not very convenient if you want to be touring anything south of the N100 or Luberon), such as Aix, Arles, St-Remy, etc. It would be good if you had seen all that and wanted to concentrate on the Vaucluse region with maybe a day in Avignon or even a day down towards the Luberon mountains, but not below that. It takes a lot longer to go those 30 miles than you think, and Vaison is an interesting city but seems much larger than its population would suggest. If you are only there 2-3 days and haven't seen Provence before, I'd definitely stay farther south.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:50 PM
rob

Thank you for your advice. That's what I thought, but I wanted to check with people who have actually been there. Now, is there a similar hotel in a similar town but farther south that you would recommend?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM
PB

Rob,

I live just outside of Les Baux and would be happy to give you a list of places in the area if you would like to email me. I just cut and pasted a list and posted it, but it didn't appear, so Fodors must be having some kind of problem...again.

PB