Search

Provence in five days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence in five days

Provence in five days
After hiking a short stretch of the Camino in Spain our group of six woman land in Marseilles late on Monday evening the last week in September. Our first two nights are in St. Remy and the last three nights in Aix. This is set in stone.
Tuesday morning we head to St. Remy, drop off our luggage at the hotel and then drive to Arles for a light lunch. We have a private tour of the city and art at 2:00 lasting three hours.
Then back to St. Remy for R and R. and a walk about the town. Dinner in St. Remy.
Wednesday the plan, so far, is to head to the St. Remy market and then on the Pont du Gard. and then on to Chateau Neuf du Pape for wine tasting only. Back to St. Remy for dinner.
Thursday morning we want to see Les Baux and the Lumieres and then do a driving tour of the Luberon villages ending up in Aix.
Friday- drive to Cassis to look around or stay in Aix. While in Aix we want to have some type of food tour.
Saturday morning the Aix market and a day in the town.
I know it is a lot, but do you think this is doable? If there is too much, what would you eliminate or add?
Very much appreciate advice and suggestions!!
Livelight
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Provence in five days

Provence in five days
After hiking a short stretch of the Camino in Spain our group of six woman land in Marseilles late on Monday evening the last week in September. Our first two night are in St. Remy and the last three nights in Aix. This is set in stone.
Tuesday morning we head to St. Remy, drop off our luggage at the hotel and then drive to Arles for a light lunch. We have a private tour of the city and art at 2:00 lasting three hours.
Then back to St. Remy for R and R. and a walk about the town. Dinner in St. Remy.
Wednesday the plan, so far, is to head to the St. Remy market and then on the Pont du Gard. and then on to Chateau Neuf du Pape for wine tasting only. Back to St. Remy for dinner.
Thursday morning we want to see Les Baux and the Lumieres and then do a driving tour of the Luberon villages ending up in Aix.
Friday- drive to Cassis to look around or stay in Aix. While in Aix we want to have some type of food tour.
I know it is a lot, but do you think this is doable? If there is too much, what would you eliminate or add?
Very much appreciate advice and suggestions!!
Livelight
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My special memory of Les Baux from about 40+ years ago was exploring the old ruined town in the hour before sunset. The views over the cliff looking east with setting sun behind were exemplary.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 03:01 PM

Timing is not quite clear to me.
You say you will head to St Remy Tuesday morning. Are you staying Monday night in Marseilles or at a hotel near the airport? Are you renting a van or hiring a driver? If you have a driver, I would go on to Remy on Monday night, and not wait until Tuesday morning to go there.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jun 10th, 2023 at 03:11 PM. Reason: New question 🙋‍♂️
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I don't think there's much reason to go to Cassis if you're not going on a boat tour of the Calanques.

Wine,, Women, and Wednesday: West to Pont du Gard, then norheast to du Pape? Not much time for more than one glass. Worth it to you?
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 08:18 PM
Forum Moderator

We merged the two threads.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 11:23 PM

You’re staying in St Rémy but not planning to visit to the Van Gogh asylum? Sacrilege, IMO. There’s a sort walk from the town to the asylum on the outskirts, going past scenes and vistas the artist painted. His small room at the asylum where he admitted himself for treatment was deeply moving, as was the view from his window reproduced in his canvases.

The old Roman ruins of Glanum are nearby, all making for an interesting half day, strongly suggest you include them to your itinerary.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 04:09 AM

Les Baux I did twice last summer. My advice is go as early as possible. Drive up the hill as far as you can to park, you can turn around at the top and park on the way back down too. Just off the main tourist lane walking up to the chateau there are many lovely nooks and crannies and views over the valley. There is a lovely church and a great little museum Yves Brayer.

Glanum and the Van Gogh sites I agree are wonderful.

I would not go all the way to CNDP just to taste wine. I did in the same trip but really not necessary and not any more scenic than around St Remy. The area around St Remy has many choices, for example the Mas de la Dame for wine and olive oil, not far from Les Baux.

In St Remy if you would like a food experience I highly recommend Gilles at https://www.provence-gourmet.fr/cooking-host/

And in Aix if you would like guide including for a food tour I highly recommend Edouard at https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/1065057

Enjoy the planning!
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 05:59 AM

A boat tour is not the only way to see Les Calenques, though I have heard that there are some closures for foot access. Rugged. It is THE reason to visit Cassis.

You also might want to be prepared to descend into the ochre quarry in Roussillon, where you can get filthy.

I think the Fondation Vasarely in Aix is dazzling. As an Art Lover, for me it was a Must See.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.
I agree that we could/should skip CNDP and spend more time exploring and appreciating St. Remy. One of the women in our group is concerned that she won't have an opportunity to taste Cote du Rhone wines.The extension there is it honor her interest. We will see.
The trip to Cassis is also an add on and it does definitely include a boat ride. Whether or not it is worth it is another question.
Thank you for the other suggestions while exploring Aix and St. Remy. There is also some festival week in St. Remy during our time there.
Just too much to d and not enough time.
Thank you again.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 10:54 AM

Hi Livelight

Let me test my understanding.
After hiking a short stretch of the Camino in Spain your group of six woman are flying into Marseilles late on Monday evening the last week in September.
Your arrival time to Marseilles is 11:20pm and you will spend Monday night at an airport hotel.
You will spend 2 nights (Tuesday and Wednesday) in St-Remy-de-Provence and 3 nights (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) in Aix-en-Provence. This is set in stone!
You fly home from Marseilles Sunday morning departing at 9:45 AM.
Tuesday morning you will rent a 7 passenger van (Or two 4 passenger cars) for group transportation.

Advice and suggestions on your current itinerary:

1. Skip the St. Remy market.Saves precious time required for other activities. Be satisfied with the market in Aix.
2. Skip your wine tasting in Chateau Neuf du Pape.Saves precious time required for other activities. Do your wine tasting on Friday while you are in Aix.
3. Driving tour of the Luberon villages ending up in Aix merits a full day. Move Les Baux and the Carrières Lemiers to Wednesday.

Then your itinerary becomes:

Tuesday Morning we head to St. Remy, drop off our luggage at the hotel and then drive to Arles for a light lunch. We have a private tour of the city and art at 2:00 lasting three hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/KQjsvs7vhGcQ5yRK7

Wednesday Les Baux, both the beautiful village(listed as one the most beautiful villages of France) and then to the extraordinary medieval castle ruins scattered with weapons, catapults.
As you climb to the castle the views become more and more spectacular.
The carriers des Lemiers is the third stop this morning. Then on to the Pont du Gard in the afternoon. Back to St. Remy for dinner.

https://goo.gl/maps/iBqQ51NGL648hzas8

Thursday A driving tour of the Luperon villages ending up in Aix. Consider a guide for the day.

https://goo.gl/maps/C7tjpjfzPz4guC6DA Example route St-Remy to Aix

Friday drive to Cassis to look around or stay in Aix. While in Aix we want to have some type of food tour. Wine tasting to local vineyards.

Sunday Fly home from Marseilles Sunday morning departing at 9:45 AM.

Old Jun 11th, 2023, 10:29 PM

Hi Livelight,

My husband and I spent a month in Aix two years ago. We loved the Saturday market at Place Richelieu. Enjoy a coffee or Kir at L’Unic. Then there is a larger market on Saturday at Place des Precheurs. Lots of prepared food and more. There is another market on the Cours Mirabeau. It was some Provençal items, lots of clothes from Italy and then more of a flea market with antiques as you get closer to the Rotunde fountain.

There are historical walking tours which are fascinating. Most were in French but there are a few companies that give tours in English for tip only. The Tourist Office is fantastic.

Also Musee Granet is a fantastic little museum. Aix is an affluent town so its museum has a nice permanent collection. Last, the Hotel de Caumont is a lovely mansion to tour and an even better place for lunch or dessert. It is simply exquisite.

Enjoy!

Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for helping me put a plan in place that seems workable and touches many of the things we want to see and do. We have had to eliminate and juggle but almost everyone in or group is now on board.
We would like to take a sunset boat tour in Cassis that includes a stop for swimming. Any suggestions here would be helpful. I think I found a boat for 40 euros per person that includes three calanques and a stop for a swim.
Monday: We fly into Marseille with an arrival scheduled for 11:20 PM.
Tuesday: Pick up our rental cars the next morning and drive to St. Remy to drop off our luggage at the hotel. Then on to Arles for a three hour guided walking tour. Right now the tour at 2:00 but since it is private I would like to move it back to 1:00.
Move on to Les Baux and visit the castle and city until sunset.
Return to St. Remy for dinner.
Wednesday We are in St. Remy except for a trip to Pont du Gard. We will see the Van Gogh sites and Glanum and visit the market. We figure we need a quiet day to stroll around. I think we are going to have to skip the Lumieres exhibit because of time and energy.
Thursday one of the women in our group found a private all day tour of the luberon villages that leaves from Aix at 8:00 am. This is now set in stone and means we need to leave St. Remy at 6:00 am. Too early, but what can I say. We spend the night in Aix. Hotels are set in stone, too.
Tour returns at 6:00 pm and two of us have reservations at a one star Michelin restaurant at 7:30. Then to bed.
Friday: A FREE morning in Aix! Around noon we leave for Cassis to do to tour of the Calanques with a swim and lunch at another Michelin restaurant chosen by one of the women. I could skip the second Michelin, but that's what it is. Lunch first then the boat.
Question: Will having a glass of wine beside the harbor at sunset provide a nice sunset experience?
Saturday...free in Aix all day and we will incorporate many of the wonderful suggestions offered here....market, museums, walking tour..etc.
Sunday ..morning drive to Marseille for a 9:15 departure. for Prague.
Also, I tried to rent an automatic car but ended up getting a manual. I can drive a manual , but it has been a while. Is there anything about our touring that suggests I might have trouble with a manual? We are renting two cars for the six of us. Also, do wwe need the Michelin Maps for driving our will Goggle maps be sufficient?
Many thanks to all.
Live Light
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 12:26 PM

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are excellent and well thought out given that 2 nights in St Remy and 3 nights in Aix are set in stone.

Tuesday is not possible. You cannot be in Arles at 5PM, or even 4PM, and tour the village and castle of Les Baux the same day.
There is a ripple affect on Wednesday due to the Tuesday problem.

What I would do.
Tuesday. Pick up your rental cars in the morning and drive to St. Remy to drop off your luggage at the hotel. Then move on to Les Baux to visit the village and the castle.
Then return to St-Remy see the Van Gogh sites. You could even see the Lumieres exhibit before returning to St-Remy. Dinner in St-Remy.

Wednesday drive to Arles in the morning for a three hour (9AM to 12noon) guided walking tour. Lunch in Arles. After lunch drive to the Pont du Gard. Return to St-Remy.
Dinner in St Remy. You could even have dinner in Avignon before returning to St-Remy.

Last edited by dugi_otok; Jun 15th, 2023 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 16th, 2023, 07:31 AM

FYI, there is no castle at Les Baux.
Old Jun 16th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Château des Baux-de-Provence - Site officiel - Géré par Culturespaces (chateau-baux-provence.com)
which though universally known as a chateau is in truth more of a large citadel.

Last edited by dugi_otok; Jun 16th, 2023 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 02:10 PM

The popular Luberon villages are closer to St Remy than Aix. Going to Aix first may be stupid.