COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Proposed INS Rules to Limit Tourism

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Lisa

Proposed INS Rules to Limit Tourism

The INS is proposing to limit tourist visas to the US to 30 days, instead of 6 months. The comment period before the rules go into effect (or are amended) is 30 days. Here is the INS web site.
http://www.ins.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/visa.htm
There are also articles in all the major newspapers and services on this issue. I'm wondering if this would negatively affect many tourists to the US. For instance, if a non-American child wanted to visit US relatives, I gather they could no longer stay the entire summer....I'm not sure whom one is supposed to comment to.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:39 PM
My

I don't see how it would limit tourism by much. Very few people can come for longer than a month. Most who come for longer come on student or work visas. I would imagine there would be requirements/accomodations for legitimate tourists applying for longer visits.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:48 PM
chris

I understood that unless you could give a compelling reason to stay longer you would be limited to the 30-days. It does seem sure to limit the numbers of student backpackers though, which IMO would be sad...

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Gareth Evans

I agree this would be limiting. Many backbackers from England go to Australia for 3 months. And for such a large and varied country like the Us it would be impossible to tour cross county in 30 days. I number of my friends have driven the old route 66 taking their time to see the 'old' US. It seems a shame!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Jack

What makes the previous responders to this question think it only affects young people, students, and back packers.
There are many Europeans that have winter homes in places like Florida, Arizona that can now stay 6 months using their existing visa. Does this mean they can now only stay one month?
Furthermore, this will only cause retaliation by other countries that have Americans spending more than one month in France, Italy, etc. Dumb,dumb.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:09 AM
NewYorker

I would imagine that the people whoown homes in the US would be able to stay longer, showing that they are homeowners in the US..as for kids staying with grandparents for holidays, maybe if they are under 18? There are probably going to be a lot of exceptions to the rules.
Whatever it takes to keep things safe, is fine with me.
At least we will know that someone isn't living and making money in the US while he is taking flying lessons so he can hijack a plane and kill more people.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Jack

How does our govenment plan on discriminating against honest people?
Oh I know! "All terrorists must register for one month visas!"

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:38 AM
anon

Think globalization.

With Germany as a staging ground, who needs a visa longer than 30 days?

Designing a barn with the door nailed shut, after the horse is dead.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Sjoerd

Have a look at: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/factsheets/visafact.htm

for the details about this scheme. Anyway, most Europeans, Australians, Japanese and some others don't need a visa for a short visit to the US, so they will probably escape the new rules.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Uncle Sam

Well, we could always sit back and do nothing!

So some student backpackers are inconvenienced, so what!

I'm certain that foreigners that own homes in Florida, for example, can make a compelling case and have an extended stay. Foreign workers for large corporations will also be able to stay.

We're talking about foreign scumbag terrorists that come to the US on student visas and then just "get lost" in Middle Eastern enclaves like in the Eastern part of New Jersey.

We lose them and they show up flying airplanes into the WTC, then we find them...a bit late don't you think?

I say make it even tougher and find the ones that are here illegally and get them OUT NOW!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Ellen

Thanks, Sjoerd, for posting that link. It sounds to me like they're just changing the "default" visa to one month, and anybody with a good reason for staying longer (e.g., a winter home) can get a longer one.

The whole things certainly sounds to me (too) like a too-late-barn-door-locking.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Al

to the top.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Ann

I've had many dealings with the INS (my husband will become a citizen this summer), and this just sounds like a huge diaster. It takes the INS 30 days to answer the phone--literally. I once spent 30 straight days trying to call one service office. It was busy every single day.

Leaving it up to the INS to decide whether someone should be allowed to stay longer than 30 days is ridiculous. Might as well have the IRS do it. They'd probably do it much more efficiently.

BTW, it only takes one day for a terrorist to attack. And remember that Timothy McVeigh wasn't on a visa.