Reload this Page >

Proper Paris attire?

Search

Proper Paris attire?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Brian Staihr

Proper Paris attire?

Need some help! <BR>First trip to Paris, we're doing the Opera, the ballet and the Moulin Rouge (hey, we're tourists!) and dinners. <BR>what's the proper attire for such event? <BR>Don't want to look like a rube from the US! <BR>Thanks. <BR>Brian

Old May 5th, 2000, 02:53 PM
noname

I don't know how to tell you this Brian, but the mere fact you're going to the Moulin Rouge labels you a "rube from the US"!

Old May 5th, 2000, 03:26 PM
elvira

You can wear whatever you like, *but*, half the fun of going to grown-up stuff like the opera or ballet is getting duded up. <BR> <BR>You probably don't want to deal with a tux and the distaff side probably won't want to do a ballgown, sooo.... <BR> <BR>For her, there are simple black dresses (TravelSmith always has several) that take up little room, don't wrinkle, and can be dressed up with jewelry or shawl for the evening out. There are pretty ballerina flats that look nice and can double as bedroom slippers. <BR> <BR>For him, dark trousers, a silk shirt (NOT chartreuse), and a loose jacket like a blazer will do fine. Unfortunately, guys don't have the benefit of ballet slippers for dress up, so you'll either have to bring a pair of dress shoes or make sure your walkin' around shoes are passable. <BR> <BR>The above will also do for dinner in a fancy restaurant (again, you can pretty much wear whatever, but why?), and the individual pieces can be worn while sightseeing. <BR> <BR>As for the Moulin Rouge, you'll be surrounded by Asian men in grey suits so wear whatever.

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:31 PM
jerry

Oh Brian, why go to the Moulin Rouge? There are so many other more interesting places to visit in Paris. Do a search here and find some of the really wonderful historic restaurants in Paris to spend your dollars on quality entertainment.

Old May 6th, 2000, 06:16 AM
Bob Brown

For the Paris Opera all this about a tux is an over statement. Last year we sat in the most expensive seats in the house. I thought we were properly dressed in semi-formal attire until we sat down next to a guy in a black T-shirt!! He was French, too. <BR>Most of the people were conservatively dressed but not formally attired. But there was a variety in the way people were dressed. There were a few evening type dresses, but the wearers were in the minority. <BR>I had on a blue blazer and grey trousers. And no one threatend me with expulsion. <BR>As for not looking like an American, good luck. My wife had them fooled to the extent that Parisians automatically spoke English to her if they knew any. <BR>And she is a conservative dresser. <BR>There was one pleasent moment one Sunday morning in McDonalds (the only place open in the area). We were reading the menu when a French lady with her two children came in. She saw us and came over and began to translate for us in very good English -- American style. Actually we were trying to decide what we wanted, but we appreciated the assistance. <BR>

Old May 6th, 2000, 08:23 AM
lorri

Didn't want to go to the Moulin Rouge, so couldn't tell you about that. I wore black slacks and different gray sweaters and knit shirts with black sneaker-like shoes and people also mistook us for being French. I must say I felt uncomfortable in the one upscale restaurant we had dinner in. Skirts, simple suit or dress and a blazer for a man would have been perfect.

Old May 7th, 2000, 07:30 AM
lorri

CORRECTIONS! Sounds like I was advocating skirts and dresses for men. I meant skirts, suits and dresses for women and a jacket over slacks and shirt for men.