Proper attire for Rome/Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many discussions about how women dress for touring Rome and Florence and other cities in Italy. How does a middle age man (young, but middle age) dress? If no churches are involved, i.e., Venice, Naples, are shorts appropriate? We are going the beginning of August. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Italian men, as a rule, do not wear shorts except when they are on holiday, i.e., they do not wear them in the city.

What makes you think that "no churches are involved" in Venice and Naples?

Some of the finest art, particularly in Venice, is located in the churches. I would not think that anyone would visit Venice without seeing the Basilica di San Marco, for example.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM

August? Wear shorts. I don't care whatever anyone else tells you, unless you are "Mr. Fashion" August will be hot, and shorts will be fine. Short-shorts? No, but shorts that come to right above the knee? Yes.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Rome is hot and humid in August. Wear shorts. You're going to stand out as an American anyway, so you might as well be comfortable. I kept a pair of light weight no-wrinkle pants in my day bag in case there was a church we wanted to go into. And holy crap, do not wear jeans.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I never advise wearing shorts, schectec, you really don't see them very much at all on European men-what's wrong with lightweight khaki trousers, of the type you wear here in the US for casual Fridays, or to go just about anywhere else, for goodness sake? Believe me, you'll fit in a lot better, and you'll also be wearing exactly what you would at home, without having to change to go from cathedral to restaurant to nightclub/bar!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:07 AM
ira

I agree with spy and eloise.

However, wear whatever makes you happy.

Enjoy your visit.

(What do you consider middle aged?)

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Whatever you do, do not skip the churches. I'm not particularly religious, but I go into every single church. The architecture and art will blow you away.

My husband is a middle-aged man and he wears jeans with a knit shirt when we go to Europe or anywhere else actually. At night he wears nice pants with a shirt - think Tony Soprano. He takes a light sport coat along for warmth or in case we go somewhere that requires one. We are going back to Italy in September and I'm sure he'll pack a few pairs of shorts too.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM

WOW! 50/50 -- To wear shorts or not to wear shorts, that is the question!!!

You now have enough information to make your own intelligent decision. Good luck, and don't drink all the wine.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No way would I travel in Italy in August and NOT wear shorts! What's the point? It can be brutally hot. Being female I pick pack long & loose rayon print shorts paired with tank top and vest and good looking sandals.

So to the original question for men, I think decent knee length khaki shorts, lightweight pants, solid color t-shirts, short sleeve rayon shirts, are all fine. Take a peak at TravelSmith men's clothing for ideas.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Egads, woman, a vest????? What are you thinking???? Are you a vest-al virgin or seeking to be in-vest-ed into the Cult of Sappho???? Women should only wear vests when chopping firewood, or when riding a chopper (Harley). (Have you seen those horrid quilty-bedspread-y vests, complete with doll-face appliques, on QVC?? The woman who designs them should be pilloried.)

As for men in shorts in Italy, unless you are under 30 and have gorgeous, tan legs, leave the shorts at home. Men do not wear shorts on the street in Rome or Florence. And nobody wants to look at your ugly, white chicken legs and knobby knees anyway. Pale linen slacks and shirt will keep you cool and comfortable, and will also help keep Europe beautiful.

Cheers, sweetie.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Well, now I know what I've been missing on QVC!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Sorry ThinGojus but when I was in Rome 2 years ago in their record heat in August this overweight, 53 year old hairy legged male wasn't in Rome to be seen but rather to see. I really didn't give a rats a** (and I'm sure the locals weren't looking either)if the locals were looking at me.

By all means bring the shorts. I will freely admit to being a tourist. I will never ever be taken for a local (in Europe anyway). Go and enjoy yourself. I will guarantee you will enjoy Rome in August wearing shorts rather than long pants.

Have a great trip. Rome is a fantastic place to visit.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I like a very lightweight linen or cotton vest to be a bit more 'undercover' when wearing a tank top. This works great for me in a heatwave. And believe me the look is not particularly lesbosian at all.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Karl-sorry, but I don't think you can "guarantee" any such thing-in fact, I'll take the position that S. will enjoy himself MORE in the August heat by wearing lightweight long pants, because he WON"T stick out like a sore thumb!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM

<will enjoy himself MORE ... because he WON'T stick out like a sore thumb!>

Sorry spygirl, for your statement to be true he would have to CARE what other people think about him. Clearly as my horrifying wearing of summertime vests proves, some of us don't give a hoot, and are interested in our own comfort when traveling.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM
ET

Feel sorry for people who worry so much about what people will think of the way they dress. Either must not get out much or really lacking in self confidence. Where what you feel comfortable wearing. If it would be appropriate for a particulr time and type of place in the US, it would be appropriate in Italy.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Well obviously the OP does, or he wouldn't have posted the question, right?

Moreover, I should like to point out, that from your own State Dept., as well as private security firms, international companies, etc. on down, all continue to advise American travelers to "dress local" to the greatest extent possible in order to lessen the risk of becoming a victim of a safety/security related incident. And I'm not necessarily talking about a terrorist incident, either, but a petty crime victim.

And it is utterly preposterous to think that simply because one wants to fit in with the locals that somehow one is lacking in "self-confidence." Quite the contrary, I would argue that one who doesn't care about the way they dress abroad, who dresses any old way (and believe me, Europeans DO notice how Americans dress) is demonstrating a culturally insensitive, maybe even arrogant attitude. So clearly, there's more than one way to look at this issue!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Proper attire for Rome/Florence. Both large cosmotopolitan cities. How do you dress in similar cities in the US?
You of course can dress however you wish, within reason of course. But I would think that if you would not wear shorts (which really is beachwear) in large cities in the US you would not wear them then in cities in Italy. But if you want to then of course do.

You state that any suggestions would be appreciated. So consequently schectec I would suggest that you wear long pants, linen, cotton, khaki etc with a nice short sleeve shirt. And do enjoy your visit to Italy!

Again, for the benefit of others that have posted here, I am responding to your question "any suggestions". I am not making any judgements. Just my viewpoint, which you seemed to ask for. Whatever you decide, again, have a beautiful time in Italy

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM

I think it depends on how you dress at home. If you are a raggedy jeans & t-shirt with sneakers type, then yes you might like to invest in better clothes for Europe. If you have a decent summer wardrobe, then take the best of that along on your trip. I don't believe that wearing my normal (I like to think stylish) clothes is either culturally insensitive or arrogant.

Finally, IMO there are shorts, and then there are shorts!

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM

I suspect the reason you won't "see a lot of locals wearing shorts" in Italy is the same reason you won't see a lot of them in shorts here..since the majority of locals you'll see are probably on their way to work.

And as to the terrorist threat to those of us who don't necessarily "look" like some of the locals...I'm willing to take my chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -