Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Problems with SNCF! How can you take a train from Paris without booking in advance?

Search

Problems with SNCF! How can you take a train from Paris without booking in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Russian student. I’ve decided to try volunteering this summer in France. The problem is getting to my camp. I am flying to Paris in the end of July and I have to get to Lunel on the same day. I was planning to take the train and even looked up the train schedules at www.voyages-sncf.com. But the problem is that it says the same thing for every train: “Réservation obligatoire” (“a reservation is obligatory, compulsory”). And that is a problem for me, since I don’t have a credit card. It’s pretty hard to get a credit card in Russia (nearly impossible!).
But I just HAVE to get to Lunel on the day of my arrival to Paris. Since I don’t have a credit card, I can’t even book a place in a hostel. I’ve noticed that most trains to Lunel go through Nimes, so I tried to find tickets to Nimes for that day. But it’s hopeless: you have to book train tickets to Nimes too!!!
Does anyone know if you can buy tickets to Lunel (or at least Nimes) at the train station in Paris on the same day? I’d hate to fly all the way to Paris, get to the train station, stand out a long line and find out that I have no means of getting to the place I need (to Lunel, that is). I’d be in real trouble then.
Can someone advise something? Help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If the train is not completely booked, you can get a reservation on the platform just before departure. I hope that you are not planning on traveling on the 31st of July, because everything might already be booked -- a lot of people take their summer holidays strictly according to the calendar month, or the closest adjoining weekend.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:21 AM

Can you get a debit card? It might then be possible to arrange a booking by phone (the number should be somewhere on the sncf site). Alternatively, call them and ask how you can set up an account with money that you have pre-deposited, to be drawn upon for your ticket.

What do the people at your camp advise?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

The people from my camp don't advise anything. Actually, I can't even get in contact with them. Not yet, at least.
It's just the weird way things are done in Russia. This year my Russian voluteer organisation has a new rule. A volunteer can't apply for the visa himself (which is really easy, I tried it last year), he has to do it through the volunteer organisation.
That's why they wont give me the invitation from the camp, so I won't go to the French embassy and do the visa myself. So there might be some contact info in the invitation, but I really wouldn't know, as I only got a short look at it (they don't even let you hold it, so you don't steal it).
So I paid them, gave them all the necessary documents along with my international passport on June 13th (!) and started waiting.
Last week I decided to call them to find out how my visa was coming along. And they told me that my documents haven't even been taken to the French embassy yet, since my camp is a "long" time away (it starts July 30, in less than a month). So my documents have been lying somewhere for nearly 3 weeks and I'm paying money for it.
Plus, I don't have my internatonal passport to buy an airline ticket. And do yo you need it to get a credit card? I was going to try to get one anyway, though it's pretty hard to do for a non-working student. I never thought I'd nee one. Here people mostly trust cash.
An info list should come from the camp two weeks before the camp, but I don't want to plan my trip days before it starts! And I don't want to waste my whole July sitting here in Moscow waiting for a miracle to happen.
There. I said it. I'm sorry for whining but I really had to et that off my chest.
What would you do in my situation?
P.S. I wanted to take the train from Paris on July 29th. Kerouac wrote that usually there are no seats left on the 31st of July. What about the 29th? Is there any hope?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Perhaps someone who knows about SNCF will be along to help but my suggestion would be to go to a travel agent in Russia and book a ticket and pay through them. Is that possible?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:47 AM
ira

Hi Olya,

There are 11 trains that day from Paris Gare de Lyon to Lunel.

Tickets are 93E one way.

You should have no trouble buying your ticket when you get to Gare de Lyon, although you might have to wait.

The reason for the obligatory reservation is that the train to Nimes is a TGV.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira.
But the problem is that my plane lands at 12:30. And obviously it takes time to go through customs and get to Gare de Lyon from the airport. And don't underestimate the long lines.
So even if I am super fast and lucky and make it there by 13:40, I get 3 trains left that day, not 11. And if I'm realistic, I actually get a pick out of 2 trains.
Anyway, all three go through Nimes, all three are TGV and therefore all three demand a reservation. That's what bothers me.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I think I am starting to find a solution to the problem.
A friend told me that students could get a Visa classic card in a Moscow bank. As I understand, it isn't a credit card, it's a debit one. You go to a Moscow bank, put money on the card and later use it in foreign countries. Would that work?
I mean, on the site they say that they only accept debit cards issued in French banks. And in the list of credit cards they mention Visa, Mastercard...
So would a Visa classic card pass for a Visa credit card?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:54 PM

Another option might be a travel agency. They should be able to book a reservation for you, you pay them in cash or with a check.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
ira

Hi Olya,

www.americanexpress.com offers a prepaid cheque card.

It works as if it were a credit card.

You might want to look into this.

I don't think that I would buy any train tickets until I had my paperwork in order from the camp people.

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM

If I were you I would try for these two trains that do not require you to go into Paris, they leave from the TGV station out in Roissy at the Charles de Gaulle airport.

Try this: Go to http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...n?L=profi& and input

To: Lunel (it will ask if it's Lunel or another Lunel station - leave it at Lunel and confirm).

Aéroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV dep. 14:04 TGV 5114 arr. Marseilles-St. Charles 17:46. Change to regional Express RE 17394 dep. 18:05, arr. Lunel 19:39.

Or: this one that should give you plenty of time to go stand in line and buy a ticket if the earlier one was too tight:

Aéroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV dep. 16:03 TGV 5118 arr. Montpellier-St. Roch 20:01. Change to regional Express RE 76442 dep. 20:08, arr. Lunel 20:21.

I have not looked them up at the SNCF site - go there and book if you figure out a way to do so.

Good luck.

WK
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM

Olya,

The bullet trains all require reservations unfortunately. However you can make a reservation at the last minute at the station before departure. As others have mentioned, during heavy vacation season, trains can be booked up. Another possibility is to wait until about 4 or 5 days before your date of travel. You can then make a reservation without paying online. It will give you a confirmation number and you need to pick it up and pay at the ticket window no less than 30 minutes before departure time of the train. When you book just check the expiration date of the reservation and make sure it is the same day as the train. If its earlier then cancel it and wait until the next day and try again. The best idea is to get a credit card and pay for it in advance if possible.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:11 AM
ira

Very good idea, MorganB.

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone!
The advice and support mean a lot to me.
WallyKringen's suggestion is really helpful. I looked the site up and it might really help me save some time in Paris. Perhaps taking a train from Charles de Gaulle IS a better idea. It still doesn't solve the problem with the reservation, though.
And MorganB's advice is a sort of a revelation for me. I didn't know you could do that! (the non-credit card reservation 5 days before the train) Why don't they write about those things on the sites! Or DO they? Someone show me where!
One thing seems illogical in this kind of reservation though. If you can pick up your ticket only 30 minutes or less before departure, how in the world can the expiration date of the reservation be BEFORE the day of the train (and thus, its departure)?
I did some research on the Moscow banks. Tried to get a card today. A Visa classic one. It’s hopeless! They said that I had to indicate the place I work for in the forms. And I don’t work, I have classes in University 6 days a week. They said that even a part-time job would do.
At last, they told me that I could make something up – no one checks the information anyway! It had to be truthful though, with a real address and phone number of the place I supposedly work at. But at that moment I was experiencing a lack of imagination (hmmm, if I could pick my first job, what would it be?) and no desire whatsoever to lie.
They suggested another option. My dad getting a credit card (they said he could even make it gold, not just classic) and making an additional one to me. Then I’d be able to use some sum, but couldn’t check the account. Not a bad idea.
The only problem is that I have no time left whatsoever!
I was planning to get this all finished by July. But because of the Russian volunteer organization I’m still at it. I have a granny in the Ukraine whom I only get to see once a year. I get to visit her for 2-3 weeks in the summer and that’s it. I wanted to visit her in July before the French volunteer camp, but now I feel time is running out.
So I wouldn’t go search for a travel agent. It’s probably too expensive and I don’t want to spend my precious summer time on this. During the study year I feel lucky if I have two free days in a row. And now, when I have tons of free time I’m spending it all on visas, credit cards and train tickets!
Plus my parents are putting pressure on me. They don’t blame me or anything and they are super nice about the whole trying-to-arrange-the-documents-to-go-to-France thing. But they worry about me terribly and that’s even worse. They worry tat I’m sitting here in the polluted hot city instead of feeding the chickens and rabbits, attempting to milk goats and bathing in the river in the Ukraine. So I HAVE to go there. And that means no time for credit cards.
I’m sorry I’m kind of whining again. But I’m just writing all this to ask: Can anyone think of a solution that DOESN’T include credit cards? I know that’s asking for too much. But I terribly miss my grandparents in the Ukraine, as I do a quality summer vacation. Which means that I’ll probably go therein 2-3 days even if I don’t think of some guarantee for the train tickets. I’m surprising myself: usually I prefer planning ahead and sorting out every little detail. Now I’m even willing to risk getting to Paris and not being able to get to my camp (that would be a nightmare). And I nearly don’t care anymore because getting one small thing done in Moscow seems like moving mountains (dozens of phone calls, plenty of trips all around the city, e-mails to different organizations – with minimum results).
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

And another thing. Aside from failing to get a card, there was good news today too! (well, sort of)
I went to the volunteer organization barely hoping to get my visa. I decided to start the battle for it at the very beginning of the week (today ¡V on Monday). And I realized that I had too options: to beg them to take my documents to the embassy or to get all fussy about the visa and to start whining and shouting about my rights.
In the end I guess it was a it of both (except for the shouting part ¡V I am not capable of THAT). By luck I found the director of the visa department there and I finally got heard. She was very surprised to find out that my documents just lay on their shelf for 3 weeks even though I called and went there constantly. She said that my visa would be ready on the 17th of July the soonest (I gasped ¡V bye-bye, my trip to the Ukraine). But luckily my mom was with me. She told them that they were ruining all our summer plans. And the director thought of another solution. She suggested that when I returned from Ukraine, I would go to the embassy myself (the thing I intended to do from the very start!) I would have to get my visa 3 days before the project, but she said it was a sure thing.
So they returned all my documents. I got my international passport back! (yay! Now I can buy an airline ticket!) I got to actually hold the invitation from France! And it had an e-mail address on it! So now I have contact with the French camp! (actually, I don¡¦t. I wrote an e-mail to them asking advice about the trains, and it turned out no such e-mail address existed. So either they made a mistake in the invitation, or it¡¦s an old one. ƒ¼)
They also gave me a filled out application form for the visa but had to rewrite it since I¡¦ve noticed a rather harsh mistake in it.
But at least now I am calm about all the arrangements but the train.
It¡¦s a pity I¡¦ve wasted three weeks and 20 dollars so that my documents could lay on a shelf all that time and simply get returned to me (after three weeks of waiting, calling, writing e-mails to them, asking how the visa¡¦s going¡K)
But today it was a great relief. I got my passport back! I have the invitation! I can plan my trip to France! Arranging the trip is in my hands! And most importantly, I can do it in three days (!) and go to the Ukraine!
The train tickets are the only thing I cannot arrange in three days. But you people are helping out so it¡¦s going to be ok I¡¦m just asking not to stop the suggestions. If we don¡¦t solve this in three days and I¡¦ll leave for Ukraine I probably won¡¦t have much internet access there. So if I don¡¦t answer to someone¡¦s post and become terribly quiet all of a sudden it¡¦s not because I¡¦m ignorant or ungrateful. It just means that I simply haven¡¦t had the chance to read them yet.
So keep the suggestions going! Any piece of advice would help, really!
And thank you all once again for looking into my problems.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM

olya - I think you misunderstood MorganB's reference to the 30 minute deadline to pick up tickets for which you have a reservation. He meant that you have to pick them up AT LEAST 30 minutes before departure (30 minutes or MORE).

I certainly hope everything works out favorably for you. Have a wonderful time visiting your grandmother and an equally wonderful time at camp!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Oh, it all makes sense now!
I should have paid more attention to MorganB's reply. In that case I'm calm about the train tickets.
And also I found a place on the SNCF site where you can ask them questions. I described my situation and got an answer today. It's in French so I have to look up a couple of words to make sure I've got the message right. But basically, as far as I understand, it's the same as MorganB's suggestion.
And they told me I could buy the tickets on the train station either way.
So I guess, problem solved.
Tomorrow I'm buying my airplane ticket. Friday I'm leaving for Ukraine to see my grandma. And in the end of July I'm getting my visa and booking the train ticket.
My summer is saved!
Thank you, everyone, for your help!
TimS, I wish you have a wonderful summer too!
(as well as kerouac, Sue xx w, Ronda, ira, Linda431, WallyKringen and MorganB - you people have a good time too!)
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM

You have a great summer Olya!!!! Glad it all seems to be working out.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Olya please let us know how this all works out. I wish you a great trip to France. You are persistant and I admire you for that.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Sure, I'll let you know how it goes. It's going well so far.
I bought the airline ticket yesterday. And in a couple of hours I'm taking the train to the Ukraine. Tomorrow I'll see my granparents! I'll come back to Moscow on the 24th of July. I'll have a couple of days to deal with the visa and infosheet then.
And Randy, I'm really flattered that someone admires my persistance. But my kind of situation is pretty common for Russia. I mean, I love my country. But here if you want anything done, you have to put tons of your energy and time in it. Especially when it comes to sorting out formalities and dealing with various Russian organisations. This isn't always the case, but it happens really often.
So my behaviour is pretty typical. Any other person living here would act the same, take the same measures. Otherwise you won't get ANYTHING done (let alone go to France).
But still, thanks.
So I'm disappearing till the end of July. So long, people. Over and out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -