Problem with Alitalia seating, be careful

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made resrevation for europe in Aug 06 using FF miles through Delta. Called in Jan 06 and got seat assignments. I was then told thta the flight was rescheduled to leave 1 1/2 hours earlier.

Called today to confirm and was told a different plane was being used and my seats had been changed from a window and adjacent to the liddle section of the plane. In fact, my wife and I were no longer sitting together.

I managed to get us next to each other still in the middle. It aggravates me that I did everything right and my desired seat assignmnent was totally ignored depsite calling so far ahead. Could it be that I was a FF user?

Be aware thta you should check your seats and time of departure periodically to avoid these problems.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM

We flew Alitalia Delta with FF miles and everything was fine. If they change planes it is only logical the seats change. It happens in the best families, FF or not.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Its not just Alitalia. All the airlines are doing that kind of thing.
We had that kind of problem in April this year. We booked in 2006 and our seats were changed three times ever farther back in plane then plane change from Lufthansa to United a dreadful trip.
This past week friends who booked in advance with Untied for non-stop to Wash DC. got notice two days before trip they were re routed through Denver, Chicago to Wash DC and on the return Chicago LA back to SFO. When the called to complain etc they were told they could change back for a fee. After a fight and going up 2 or 3 levels they ended up with a one stop flight.
Airlines have NO RESPECT for the passenger - JMHO.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
ira

Hi D,

This is not a problem only with Alitalia.

On our recent visit, our carrier (Delta) kept changing the times of our flights by a few minutes. Each time they did I had to redo the seat assignments.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't alitalia or ff tickets. Could happen on any airline - especially when there is an equipment change.

And even IF things hadn't changed - nothing guarantees you'd get the seats you reserved in the first place. Heck - some of airlines don't even let you choose seats more than 24 hours ahead or at all if you are on a deeply discounted ticket.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM

When there is a change immediately check out the seating on Seatguru.com to make sure you are getting a decent seat. If you act fast you may be able to change for a better one.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I'm sure it does happen with other airlines, but it has only happened to me with Alitalia, and it wasn't a FF flight.

Just as predicted here on fodors, my seats were changed on the way over because of an equipment change. I had confirmed and reconfirmed, just as you did. Didn't mean a thing, of course.

On the way back, we were delayed for an hour plus, but I kept checking at the gate since I did NOT want to spend 8.5 hours squahsed in the middle seat. I was assured that my seat assignment was valid -- right up until I walked onto the plane and was told it was "open seating"!

Unless the fare was really a bargain, I would book elsewhere.