Reload this Page >

Private Tour Guides

Search

Private Tour Guides

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Lois

Private Tour Guides

Does anyone have names for reliable private tour guides in these areas: Rome, Venice, Lago Maggiore and possibly the Abruzzi area (want to research roots).<BR><BR>Rather than taking a big tour (like Perillo), we might need help in seeing things (first trip), but don't want large groups.<BR><BR>What might a private guide cost if we booked one in the various places.<BR><BR>Thanks for the help.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:05 AM
tracey

wow lois! First time I've seen you posting outwith the Caribbean section! Hope you get your help, you give enough on the other forum!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Rex

You might consider searching "mayta" or "eternaltourist" here on this site - - for Rome.<BR><BR>How many people traveling with you? There is also a lot of information here on this site about traveling with a self-assembled SMALL group - - could be as many 10 to a "few-teen", or as small as 4 to 8.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Andy

Go up to TEXT search and type in private tour guided--then in the little box to the left scroll down to Italy-highlight Italy and hit go--it will bring up various posts on tour guides to help you....

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Wanda

Just tried exactly what you suggested. Here's what it got me.<BR><BR>Forum - Europe<BR>Text - private tour guided<BR>Topic(s) - Italy <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Sorry -- we couldn't find anything that fit your search. Please change your criteria and try again. Or revisit the whole forum. Or pick a new forum entirely.<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Lois

Actually there are only 2 of us -- I just don't necessarily want to book an entire tour (like with Perillo), if we could do as well getting to different cities on our own and then just hiring someone (who speaks English) to take us around -- possibly just a taxi driver that does this on the side. This is often done in the islands, that's why I'm inquiring. Thanks<BR><BR>I agree with doing the word searches -- I don't come up with much.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:11 AM
topcat

to the top

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:40 PM
here goeslookingit up

GO to Test search and type in private toud guides--then in the little rectangle to the right of test search, it says and/or subject search--<BR>scroll down to ITALY--<BR>The FIND button is to the RIGHT of this box---click on find---<BR><BR>It pulls up all posts on private tour guides==You need to click onto each one and read them until you find what you want....<BR><BR>IT PULLS them up on the LEFT side of the FORUM under Europe--<BR><BR>THEY are there--- It just won't let me copy and paste them for you.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:48 PM
topcat

The suggestion from Andy was taken literally, using "private tour guided".<BR><BR>The results didn't seem surprising to me when previously posted.<BR><BR>But now I see that using the word "guides", instead of "guided" does retrieve seven threads.<BR><BR>No problem cutting and pasting them here:<BR><BR>We have 7 matches for your search -- scroll down for titles. Or do a simpler search on any one of your criteria:<BR><BR>Forum - Europe<BR>Text - private tour guides<BR>Topic(s) - Italy <BR><BR>1. Private Tour Guides<BR>7 responses; most recent on 08/06/2002, 04:40 pm<BR><BR>2. Florence, Italy update<BR>4 responses; most recent on 07/01/2002, 10:34 am<BR><BR>3. Share Roman Guide- April 29/30?<BR>1 responses; most recent on 04/04/2002, 01:40 pm<BR><BR>4. Private Tour Guides<BR>7 responses; most recent on 12/11/2001, 09:14 am<BR><BR>5. private tour guides for Italy<BR>13 responses; most recent on 09/27/2001, 05:46 pm<BR><BR>6. Mayta or Alfredo?....HELP<BR>2 responses; most recent on 06/02/2001, 10:41 am<BR><BR>7. Michelangelo's David and other masterpieces in Florence<BR>17 responses; most recent on 10/15/1999, 09:13 pm<BR>Probably someone else knows how to list them as the links.<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:59 PM
ttt

ttt<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 03:26 PM
ttt

topping

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Natalie

Hi Lois,<BR><BR>There are certainly many guides to choose from in Italy, but if you would like me to send you some information on some tours in the areas you mentioned, please feel free to contact me.<BR><BR>Regards.<BR><BR>Natalie

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Andy

Message: We just had experience with 2 wonderful people who should be able to help you. We used a woman named Paola as a guide for a day trip to Montelcino and Pienza and she was great. She has an art background and also does walking tours of Florence. Her email is [email protected]<BR>Another is Majla with The Accidental Tourist. She arranged a wonderful birthday party at a private villa for us. Her email is [email protected]<BR>Both will set everything up including transportion. <BR>I made all the arrangements with them via the web and everything was perfectly coordinated-<BR><BR>TO LOIS-the above info is for FLORENCE- I will be copying and pasting the info separately for you from the search area--since I can't copy and paste from different posts...

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Andy

TO Lois-- Just found the posts for Rome:<BR><BR>Message: Dear Lynn,<BR><BR>My wife and I lead a series of walking tours in Rome and excursions to the gardens around the city and in the Lazio region. We'd be happy to help you arrange something either with us or with a cultural association here in the city, with which we're affiliated. We also run daysails and sunset cruises on our 38-foot sailboat in Ostia, though I assume you'll be sick of sailing by the time you get here. You can find out more at our website: http://www.contextrome.com<BR><BR>More for ROME:<BR><BR>Message: Hi <BR>Scala Reale is one much-praised Rome-based company offering small-group tours, that will also arrange private tours. They have a website. <BR>Not sure what you mean by "a" tour of Rome--Rome has a lot to cover and you can't see it all in one tour. <BR>If you look at the Scala Reale, or Enjoy Rome websites, among others, you will see some suggestions for areas of Rome to be covered in several tours. Scala Reale can also arrange group or private <BR>"orientation" tours. <BR>A woman named Marianne has also posted a few times on this Fodor's website. She used to work for one of the above tour companies, enjoyrome I think,and she and some of her colleagues have now formed their own service. <BR>Search on this board for "marianne" and you'll find the information. <BR>Pompeii is a separate destination, it is 2.5 to 3 hours from Rome, closer to Naples actually. It is a daytrip from Rome, again, offered by many companies, and one of them may be able to arrange a private guide. <BR>Search here for "Pompeii" and you will get some suggestions, on independent travel as well as on tour companies.<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Paul Bennett<BR><BR><BR>More for Rome :<BR><BR><BR>Message: Sue - we had a wonderful private guide. He has his own company. We basically did Rome in a day with him. And then did Pompeii the next and saw some of the coast. His name is Rolondo Zerey. However he doesn't have email. He says he will call you back if you fax him. His phone number is 06.76.12.111 and the fax number is 06.76.91.02.52. Pompeii for the day costs us $600 - plus we had to have a different guide actually in Pompeii. He told us that only authorized guides are allowed in Pompeii. That costs us about another $80 but was well worth it. <BR>Also - he wanted paid in US dollars, not lire. Although we tipped in Lire.<BR><BR>And another:<BR><BR>[email protected] <BR><BR><BR>And MORE:<BR><BR>Message: I keep reading about Peter Kilby, a personal guide in Rome and Florence. Everyone has used him has had WONDERFUL things to say about him. He has a website at http://www.peterkilby-touradvisor.com.au/ <BR><BR>And More:<BR><BR>[email protected] <BR><BR>And ANOTHER:<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>A nd MORE:<BR>www.enjoyrome.com <BR>www.romeinsight.com <BR>www.twenj.com <BR><BR><BR>OK-- I hope you try some of these people and can line up a good tour guides--- <BR><BR><BR>HAPPY TRAVELS<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>