Private guided tours

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:41 AM
Sue Ishee

Private guided tours

We would like to arrange a private guided tour of Rome and Pompeii for two in September. Who do we contact?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:58 AM
Phil

Sue,
If you have an American Express Platinum Card call their concierge service. They provided me with private tour information in France recently.

Alternatively, you might want to e-mail the hotel you are visiting. Perhaps they can help you.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:04 AM
elaine

Hi
Scala Reale is one much-praised Rome-based company offering small-group tours, that will also arrange private tours. They have a website.
Not sure what you mean by "a" tour of Rome--Rome has a lot to cover and you can't see it all in one tour.
If you look at the Scala Reale, or Enjoy Rome websites, among others, you will see some suggestions for areas of Rome to be covered in several tours. Scala Reale can also arrange group or private
"orientation" tours.
A woman named Marianne has also posted a few times on this Fodor's website. She used to work for one of the above tour companies, enjoyrome I think,and she and some of her colleagues have now formed their own service.
Search on this board for "marianne" and you'll find the information.
Pompeii is a separate destination, it is 2.5 to 3 hours from Rome, closer to Naples actually. It is a daytrip from Rome, again, offered by many companies, and one of them may be able to arrange a private guide.
Search here for "Pompeii" and you will get some suggestions, on independent travel as well as on tour companies.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:07 AM
elaine

oops, typo. should have been
"Marianna".

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:35 AM
Carol

Hi,

I second the suggestion for Scala Reale. We took their Vatican tour in March and loved it. They have several different tours...just find the one that interests you most. As they include an orientation walk for the day you arrive which was quite enjoyable.

When we went to Pompeii, we noticed that there were guides there offering their services. So we joined a group and had an amusing guide, Stefano. He was quite knowledgeable and very entertaining. And the cost was very reasonable...it depends on the number in the group.

Have a great time.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Julie

Sue - we had a wonderful private guide. He has his own company. We basically did Rome in a day with him. And then did Pompeii the next and saw some of the coast. His name is Rolondo Zerey. However he doesn't have email. He says he will call you back if you fax him. His phone number is 06.76.12.111 and the fax number is 06.76.91.02.52. Pompeii for the day costs us $600 - plus we had to have a different guide actually in Pompeii. He told us that only authorized guides are allowed in Pompeii. That costs us about another $80 but was well worth it.
Also - he wanted paid in US dollars, not lire. Although we tipped in Lire.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 07:22 PM
georgie

Hi Carol,
I contacted that same group for information on a vatican tour. Was it just your group? What can I expect?
Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Andy

Hi Sue- a car service company that picks up at airport and takes you into ROme ALSO has guided tours with english speaking drivers in A/C mercedes-
@ $35 per hour.
email Andrea at:[email protected]

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Katherine

I keep reading about Peter Kilby, a personal guide in Rome and Florence. Everyone has used him has had WONDERFUL things to say about him. He has a website at http://www.peterkilby-touradvisor.com.au/

Good luck!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Manuel

Hi there !

We are new walkingtour company in Rome.

Send me a mail and i reply some info..

Manuel....