Principe Hotel, Venice

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 11:57 AM
Jane

Principe Hotel, Venice

I will be staying at this hotel in a couple of weeks and would appreciate info on general condition of the hotel (have heard scary stories on hotels in Venice). Any info on air conditioning, sights and resturants within walking distance would be appreciated.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 12:30 PM
Richard J. Vicek

Good afternoon, Jane
The GRAND HOTEL PRINCIPE is on the Lista di Spagna,
it is a four star hotel with 156 rooms. It is located on the Lista di Spagna which extended up from the Rio Terra and the Stazione Ferrovie della Stato S. Lucia to the Campo S. Germania to continue up and taking basically the same street you will be at the Rialto Bridge in about ten minutes and the Pza. S. Marco in fifteen. This area has shops, ristorantes and many hotels and is a busy area known as the Cannaregio, if I am not mistaken the hotel
sides on the Lista and the Grand Canal and has a court yard in the center?? In the Campo S. Germania
there is a pizzera and another ristorante, as well as a long the street, up the Lista about five mins is the chinese rist. HONG KONG, Cannaregio Stradda Nuova, 4386...In Venice by reading the building signs one can not get lost in going from one place to the other, this is one area where my wife feels
secure about going around alone, hasn't got lost yet..Here are a couple of Venice sites to surf.
www.doge.it/
www.webcom.com/~italys/
www.city.net/countries/italy/venice.
www.geo.it/venezia/
www.elmoro.com/
www.veniceworld.com/
www.venicehotel.com/
www.veniceairport.it/
If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to e mail me direct. RICHARD OFHICKORYU HILLS.IL...

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 08:27 PM
Nancy

Jane, I think that with your postings re: hotels that you are taking the same tour that I took in May. The Grand Hotel Principe is a very lovely hotel on the Lista di Spagna overlooking the Grand Canal. As you will find in all hotels, no two rooms are alike. Our room looked out on the street, while others on our tour had rooms over looking the Canal. Luck of the draw! The rooms over the Canal can be very noisy with all the water activity, but who cares.. you're in Venice!!! Very easy to walk anywhere, if you get tired, just take a water taxi back toward the hotel. Everyone is very helpful. Walk right out of the hotel, and shops and restaurants await you. Keep walking and you will soon be at the Piazza san Marco. Walk the streets but also use the watercraft as the buildings along the canals are works of art not to be missed. Hope that this helps you...any more questions???

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 10:03 AM
hamlet

I stayed at this hotel 2 years ago. It was fine. Nothing special. I don't think 4 stars means all that much - the ratings of European hotels are not like ratings of hotels in the US. It is especially convenient if you will be taking the train since the station is nearby. I always had a trek to go to P. San Marco but I was glad I didn't have to lug my luggage thru Venice or on the vaporetto when it came time for me to take the train out of the city. Have fun and be prepared to do lots of walking and steps.

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 11:29 PM
Arline

Just returned from Venice and stayed two doors from the Principe. Our tour was originally scheduled to stay at the Principe but switched to a much worse hotel just prior to departure (the Continental). The lobby is large and lovely, and so was the a/c there, as many of us went in to see what we were supposed to get. (Don't know how good the a/c is in the rooms.) Judging by pictures of the rooms, they are not bad looking, compared to many other rooms in Venice. Just a warning, though: the walk to San Marco is at least 25 minutes, not a minute less!! Taking a vaparetto is about 20 minutes. This is my main complaint about the hotel because San Marco Square is a major, central area that everyone gravitates to for shopping, sight-seeing, romantic walks and just about everything that is Venice!! We were 12 days in Italy, first class tour, and every single hotel had lousy air conditioning!!! Very inadequate, low volume or no volume coming out of the vent. AND, almost every hotel turns OFF the a/c sometime after midnight!!! This is obviously done to conserve electricity costs. They don't advertise that anywhere when they brag about being air conditioned. Only one hotel (these were all 3 or 4 stars - mostly 3) did not turn it off and that was the one that had such a low volume that it really didn't matter. Naturally, we were there during a tremendous heat wave but I was dying. It was terrible for me. It nearly ruined my trip.