Reload this Page >

Primer on Parking in Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Kathleen

Quite a few of us (me too) have advised travellers on the ease of driving in Tuscany. The hard part, however, can be identifying legal parking areas and following the parking rules. Could some of you experts come up with some suggestions? My thoughts on this are somewhat fuzzy - the I know it when I see it thing. Not helpful to newbies. <BR> <BR>For instance, I know that blue lines mean park-for-Lira and you better find the attendant. Surely some of you can improve and expand on this.

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:18 AM
kim

There's some good info at the following site, www.cohenkenny.com. A travel site written by a couple based on their personal experiences.

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Pauline Kenny

HI! I just finished the driving section on my web site with a page about parking. Basically it is white lines are free parking, but you may have a restricted time. For this you set your parking disc to the time you parked. A nearby sign will say if the parking is time restricted. Blue lines you have to pay. Look for a payment machine close by. I have pictures and descriptions on my web site: <BR>http://www.cohenkenny.com/italy/drive.htm <BR>And there are many pay parking lots around the more popular cities - some of the smaller hill towns have free parking lots. Just have a good look around for signs. <BR>Pauline

Old May 28th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Kathleen

I have made a printout of your parking section and plan to take it with me. Thank you very much for organizing and illustrating this information in such a fine fashion.

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:50 PM
tina

Kathleen,I've just returned from a 2 week trip to Tuscany and did all of the driving for my family.Parking in the cities was an adventure,to say the least.Market day in Siena was a fiasco. <BR>We had no problems finding parking,free <BR>and metered,on other days,though.Even with a great city map,the street names <BR>are extremely hard to see and identify. <BR>My advice:have a good navigator in the passenger seat and be patient.If you get <BR>on the Autostrada,stay in the slow lane <BR>(haha)and if you have to pass,put your <BR>blinker on and leave it on until you <BR>complete your pass.Watch out for the <BR>motorcycles-they drive like they're the <BR>only ones on the road and everyone runs <BR>red lights over there.Good luck!

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Kathleen

Actually I am the navigator and pretty good at it, I think. However I have not yet figured out how to get the driver (husband) to pay attention to me. Likes to get in the fast lane and take on the professional autostrada drivers. <BR> <BR>Wish us luck!