Reload this Page >

Prices getting me dizzy!

Search

Prices getting me dizzy!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Confused

Prices getting me dizzy!

Looking to stay in Cinque Terre for 2 nights. Selected Riomaggiore as a base - surprisingly have found a few places to stay but here's where its confusing. <BR> <BR>One place offered a double room, lil balcony (no view of sea )for 100,000 lire a night with no breakfast. Beginning of town I was told. <BR> <BR>Then I got another email from another place I had written to and they are giving me a double room for 50,000 lire with balcony (no sea view)no brekkie. <BR> <BR>Anyone been to Riomaggiore? Is the town very big? Can I really go wrong in finding a place to stay (am traveling alone)? Should I just go for the cheaper option and save money for food?? <BR> <BR>Another place offered me a double for 178,000 with breakfast - more like a hotel though not an apartment....is there a point? <BR> <BR>Help please - any advice appreciated. <BR> <BR

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Bob

All of the places are under a $100 and one under $30. See if any of the places are listed in a guide book. But only you know how much money you have, it sounds like your going on a small budget. One of the things we look at is location, is it in the part of town that I will spending the most time.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:39 AM
amy

Confused: <BR>I recently booked in Monterrosso. In calling a number of smaller hotels, (most had no vacancies), for a double room, they were quoting 90,000 Lire/person without breakfast, 100,000 with breakfast. <BR>The cheaper option is only really a matter of $20, so I would probobly spend the $ assuming it is a little nicer than the one for 50,000. You won't be in your room much, so the decision is up to you. But it sounds like an amazing place and I can't wait to hike through all the villages! <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Confused

Bob and Amy: <BR>Thanks for the replies. Guess I wasn't making myself so clear - am on a budget yes but don't mind going upto like 100/night if I have to. <BR> <BR>My issue was more that since the villages seem quite small in any case - does it really make a difference to spend extra esp in the private rooms? I know I wont be in the room much at all except to sleep after all the hiking and eating !!! Guess I was hoping that someone who had been to Riomaggiore could give me more of a sense of the town size... <BR> <BR>Also while on CT - is it better to take the boat to Monteresso and hike south or start at Riomaggiore and hike north? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for further help.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:02 AM
KC

I was in Riomaggiore about 2 months ago. The town is extremely small, and EVERYTHING is within walking distance. So location is not as important as it may seem. We stayed in Manarola for 4 nights, and our room was very small, but clean and inexpensive. We wanted to save the money for other parts of our trip, and for the WONDERFUL food and wine in the CT. As for hiking, we hiked from Manarola to Corniglia and then from Corniglia to Vernazza. This took us an entire day, with time to stop in the towns and rest. I wouldn't suggest hiking all 5 villages in a row unless you are a very avid hiker. When we were there, the trail between Riomaggiore and Manarola was closed, but it seemed like a pretty easy walk.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Henry Schulte

Riomaggiore is very small (I'm guessing a couple thousand residents)but it is on a hill, everything is uphill from the train station, which is probably why you got a quote for the higher amount 'at the beginning of town'. I had no problem being at the top (except for my arrival, tired and jet lagged I dragged my butt up the hill). Riomaggiore seems to have a younger crowd (backpackers?)than monterosso which has the upscale hotels and restaurants.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Not AS confused

Thanks Hmm decisions, decisions! I guess I will contact the folks offering me the place for 50,000 and ask them how far away they are from the train station and base it on that. <BR> <BR>The trail btwn Riomaggiore and Manarola is open now - the lady I have been dealing with for my room told me it has been open for 2 weeks <BR> <BR>I am so excited for this trip - less than a month before I leave YIPPEEEE ! <BR> <BR>How does this sound? Any suggestions from anyone? <BR> <BR>3 nights in Venice -28th-30th Sept- Palazzo Lion Morosini (apartment type place on the Grand Canal WITH views and 2 mins from Rialto Bridge AND inexpensive!) <BR> <BR>2 nights in Florence -1st and 2nd Oct- Residenza Johlea - apparently within walking distance to the main sites, inexpensive and seemingly friendly. www.johanna.it <BR> <BR>2 nights in CT 3rd and 4th Oct- staying in Riomaggiore as I mentioned above - inexpensive places <BR> <BR>Flying out of Genoa on the 5th to London. 2 nights in London, leaving on the 7th back home. <BR> <BR>Anyone gonna be at any of these places during that time? Any suggestions from anyone - know my trip is short but I figure I would just get there and see how it goes. I am planning to take trains between the places and have checked out schedules and stuff... <BR> <BR>AM SO EXCITED !!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:00 AM
viktor

Not As Confused: I'd definitely trade one of the nights in Venice for one extra night in Florence, especially if you are an art lover! <BR> <BR>I am going to CT mid-sep. and thinking to stay in Vernazza. Have you checked Vernazza? My friend told me it is the most interesting town in CT, and also it has a beach.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Not AS confused

Viktor: Vernazza doesn't seem to have any places available for the date I am going. It's ok though, I figure the towns are so close to each other by train or boat that it really doesn't make a difference which town to stay in. I am just happy I get to go <BR> <BR>Original plan was my friend was leaving Venice late evening on the 30th so I wasn't getting to Venice til around 9ish and the apartment place I am staying at wants you there before 7pm. NOw my friend is taking the earlier flight so I do have the option of taking the train to Florence earlier but I figure am not a HUGE art lover so another night in Venice wouldn't hurt <BR> <BR>Who knows *shrug* just want to be there already - can anyone tell????