Reload this Page >

President Hotel in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 07:03 AM
Judy

Hello All, We are doing the BA trip this winter, and are booked at the President hotel in Bloomsbury. According to many sources on the net(I have searched thoroughly here and Frommers and elsewhere), it has been refurbished. I really wanted a good location, near the theater area. I hope this will be all right. I know it is "tourist class", and am not expecting the Ritz. Any comments, advice? Thanks,Judy

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 02:19 PM
julie

The President is part of a chain of "tourist" hotels, including the Tavistock, Imperial, Bedford, and the President (and maybe others). It will be fairly standard (we just returned last week from London, staying in the Bedford). Location is within walking distance of Covent Garden, SOho, and the Theatre district, Leister Sq, Picadilly, etc., and there are many nice restaurants nearby (go down some of the side streetsL). Room will be pretty standard, twin beds, small bathroom, usually the shower/tub and sink on one side of the entry hall, toilet and bidet on the other. Standing closets, and a radiator for heat. Our room at the Bedford was just like this, clean but non=descript. We don't spend much time in the room anyway, so who cares? Be sure to ask for a room at the "back" or garden side, and you will miss all the street noise, sirens, etc. Have a good time.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 03:06 PM
judy

Thanks Julie, I appreciate your input. As you said, we won't be spending too much time in the room. We will be going to the theater, London walks, and day trips. I think that as long as it is clean, and has basic amenities, it will be fine.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 10:17 PM
Brad

My family and I stayed at the President over Thanksgiving. I wouldn't say that it's been refurbished, but it's definately clean and safe. It's also right across the street from the tube -- very convenient! Another thing to look into is the breakfast. When we booked our room, it said that it came with a free continental breakfast. You'll be fine if you like toast, rolls, juice, and coffee, otherwise it will cost you 3.95(pounds) for the buffett breakfast which consists of eggs, bacon, toast, rolls, cereal, juice and coffee, beans, etc. E-mail me with any questions. <BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Nancy

My husband and I always stay at the President when we go to London. It's clean, in a safe neighborhood, right around the corner from the Tube (Picadilly Line, which is a direct ride from Heathrow), good strong showers, close to the British Museum and has a great pub nearby - the Queen Charlotte. I agree about the breakfasts - they leave something to be desired. We always go to the nearby Safeway store or the Harts and buy cheeses and cold cuts to suppliment our breakfast. On top of all this, "the price is right" when you book through BA. We also are theater buffs (just came back from a stay at the President when we saw 9 shows in 6 days) and find there are many small restaurants in the area which serve dinner until 11 so you can eat close to the hotel after a show.