Reload this Page >

Prescription Medicines

Search

Prescription Medicines

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:27 AM
Vivian

Prescription Medicines

I will be traveling to Germany and Austria in June. I am aware that my three prescription medicines I take have to be accompanied by a hand-written prescription from my doctor. However, I have heard different opinions in regard to having to carry them in the original prescription bottle. Does anyone know the law in regard to carrying prescription medicines overseas and what about carrying them in their bottles? Thank you for all your help!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:54 AM
janice

I've had some hassles with pills just carried in a small pill box rather than the prescription bottle - I guess I look like a junkie? But the customs people here in Chicago were absolutely fascinated, and took quite a long time, even with the corresponding prescriptions, to decide that I wasn't doing anything naughty. Then they had to unfold all of my clothes... but that's another story.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:55 AM
Jody

In over 40 years of travel no one has ever looked at my meds , either coming or going> It really is a good idea to carry them in their original prescription bottles. As a pharmacist I would recommend keeping them in the Rx bottles as these are light and moisture resistant . Also when your Dr writes your prescriptions that you are going to carry with you, make sure in addition to the American trade name, he writes the GENERIC name. Brand name drugs even made by the same manufactuers have different Brand names in different countries, but the generic name will always be the same. If he doesn't know the generic or chemical name, haver him call the pharmacist first.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:56 AM
mark

EVEN IN THE U.S you are supposed to travel with ALL prescription drugs in their original containers. Imagine how suspicious you'll look if you are told to open your luggage at customs and they find sandwich bags full of pills! That's a worst case-scenario but I think you get the picture. they just want to know that you didn't bring in a shipment of "ecstasy"...save yourself a lot of trouble and use the original containers with labels. it will also be helpful if you RUN OUT of something. many pharmacies abroad will fill a prescription with an empty medicine bottle. It's not like the US where you have to have a prescription for EVERYTHING.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:32 PM
medic

CARRY THE MEDS IN THE ORIGINAL PRESCRIPTION CONTAINER. ALL THE NECESSART INFORMATION IS ON THE LABEL. FEWER HASSLES AND PROBLEMS

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:09 PM
Karen

What about vitamins? I take alot of different ones. When I travel, I put them in different plastic bags because that's lighter and easier than taking the individual bottles. I've never been stopped at customs, but now I'm worrying that if they ever searched my luggage and saw lots of pills in plastic bags, would I have a problem? Anyone have any experience with this?

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:20 PM
Judy

Hello All, Karen: I aways bring my vitamins in little zip-loc bags. Now that I think about it, they could look a little suspicious.... I bring all kinds of herbs too: black cohash and red clover for me, saw palmetto for him and all kinds of other vitamins. I have not been stopped ever, either here or overseas, and I hope I never will! I don't bring my meds in bottles either, just in a pill box.... maybe I should start? Judy

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:23 PM
medic

karen yes the original bottles are better. how is a customs officail to recognizw the difference between vitaminesa and other drugs. there are so many generic drugs that sight recogition is hard to impossible. if the inspector has a hair accross his ass you could be in for a rather unpleasant experience. one risk factor you do not need luck

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:13 PM
kam

Yes, in the original Rx bottle, and when you get them filled, request the childproof cap. I didn't and ended up with a carryon bag full of premarin pills---easily recognizable but hard to find in a big carry on.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:17 PM
Jody

If your pharmacy is followng the law, you should not have to request a childproof cap. You should only have to request a NON childproof cap!! And you should be asked to sign for it!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:21 PM
Sue

I'm with Judy All my meds/vitamins go in ziplock bags (labeled by day). I do take copies of scrips in case I lose them or forget to pack them--never thought I'd need the copies to identify them. Never been searched (look too boring, besides they're all gone by the time I return). <BR> <BR>My experience with pharmacies has been that they have a big book where they look up the generic for any American med you have.

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:30 AM
medic

sue not to belabor a point but the big book you refer to is the PDR(physicians desk reference). most customs inspectors do not have a copy of this. because of the multitude of sizes and shapes and colors of generic medications, the customs inspectors cannot and are not able to tell one drug from another. if they question what a pill is you could be in for a long wait or held untill the matter is settled. why take the chance of a potentially embarrassing or worse legal situation when it is all so unavoidable. this is exactly the problem that can frig up a vacation but good

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:22 AM
t5tt

tt

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:19 AM
xxx

Using the original container is meaningless, because anyone with ill intent can switch pills, putting illegal ones into containers meant for other pills. The Customs people know this. If you take a lot of medications, packing original containers accomplishes nothing except to take up extra room in your luggage. <BR><BR>I put my medications into separate zip-lock bags that also contain copies of my prescriptions. <BR><BR>Always bring prescriptions that contain your doctor's name and telephone#, in case a verification is needed.<BR><BR>I also use zip-lock bags for my vitamins. I use about 20 types of vitamins, so packing bottles would be impossible.<BR><BR>I travel often, and have never had a problem using this method of packing.