Prepaid sim for ipad2 in Italy

Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Prepaid sim for ipad2 in Italy

Has anyone bought a prepaid sim for an iPad in Italy recently? I' m going to be in Italy for all of May and want to buy a SIM card for my iPad. I've been reading various travel forums and getting conflicting messages.
My questions are
1. Which provider?
2. Can you buy at Rome airport?
3. How much is it?
4. Will the staff put it in and get it going?

Last year in uk I bought a prepaid sim from 3. No contract or paperwork was needed. The staff installed it. It worked straight away. It cost 10 pounds for 1 month access and 1 gig of data. Worked perfectly.
I'm looking for the same thing in Italy.
Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM

I will be watching this thread! I have many of the same questions. Thanks for posting.
Feb 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM

Well, I have recently substituted my Vodafone sim (9 euro per month, 2 GB then gets slower) with a cheaper Wind sim (5 euro per month, 1 GB then gets slower) as the ipad was mainly used under wifi and only occasionally under cellular coverage. Both choices work fine (wind coverage is a little more spotty, however), I am sure there are competing offers from TIM. I installed the sims myself and they worked without need of manual configuration. Italian providers require a copy of your passport and a codice fiscale (an Italian tax registration code) that can be computed on the spot from your anagraphic data. Usually the sims are activated in a few hours but not immediately.
Feb 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM

I bought a SIM card in Florence. It worked fine. I replaced the card at the hotel, and another hotel guest who also had an iPad helped me . This was almost three years ago, so I can't give you current info. But the apple forum on this topic was very helpful.
Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

What is anagraphic data?
Feb 23rd, 2013, 04:47 AM

Jenmorg, you are right, I made up a non-existing word from Italian. The tax code is computed from your name, your birth date, place of birth and from your sex. A tax code for official use must be assigned by the Italian revenue agency, that would check for the improbable case that two people of the same sex and name are born in the same place the same day, and that would give duplicate codes. But the people selling you the sim will simply ask for your passport, take your data from that and make up a code on the spot.
Feb 23rd, 2013, 04:51 AM

jen, kybourbon gave me some good advice and some links. He has lots of great info about Italy!