Prepaid cell phone in the UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Scotland and Northern England for a couple of weeks in September. I would like to buy a prepaid cell phone after we arrive there. Do you have any suggestions? I will mainly use it for local calls. Thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM

I went into an Orange store in London and purchased a phone for 20 GBP or so. Also, got a pay-as-you-go SIM card, which was very easy; I think the minimum top up was 10 GBP, but I got a little more. You can add money (top up) at the store and also later online.

As I mostly wanted to call the US, I chose the Camel plan (20 pence per minute to call within the UK, 6 pence per minute to call the US). There are other animal pay-as-you-go plans with cheaper rates for calling within the UK.

(They have a website, but I'm not sure if they ship to the US. Look up 'pay as you go phones' and 'talk plans'. Not sure, but maybe Racoon would be good for you? http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...equestid=52416

It doesn't seem to expire, or else the period is very long, as I use it for vacations about once a year. Other SIM cards I've gotten in other countries seem to expire after a few months of non-usage.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Looks like it is 7 pence to call the US now.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I think this sounds like a good idea. I have two Mobal phones purchased five years ago. I wasn't too crazy about them the last time I used them- some times they worked, other times they didn't.