pre-pay a eurorail pass or not?

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pre-pay a eurorail pass or not?

HI all,

I am new to posting,but,have been lurking and reading your posts for a few weeks and learning so much! I haven't found any information on train passes.

I am from Canada and will be going to Europe in September. My itenerary so far is:

Aug 29-Sept 1-Paris(3 nights)
Sept 1(train to Venice-probably a night train)
Sept 2-3 Venice(2 nights)
Sept 4-7 Rome(3nights)
Sept 8 somewhere on the Almafi Coast(1 night)
Sept 9,10 Florence(2 nights)
Sept 11 Lake Como for the day and night train to Amsterdam
Sept 12-17 Amsterdam

First question...should I pre-buy a Eurorail SelectSaverpass at 5 days travel in 3 countries total $450.00 Canadian. I would still have to pay a premium for the night train to Italy and haven't figured out how to get to Amsterdam for the best dollar. I could modify teh itenerary(remove Almafi and Como) and travel to Switzerland and Germany for a night each? I could then buy a five country pass for a bit more?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell I am very confused. First time traveller.

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:16 AM

Often posted:

Try your itinerary at www.railsaver.com

Railpasses MUST be bought from North America.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:19 AM
Intrepid

Mel: try this..go to
www.railsaver.com and follow the instructions on the "form"..this is one way to decide if a pass is right or not.
Personally, I think you might be better off spending at least one night at Lake Como and taking a day train to Amsterdam...you can take a TGV from Milan to Paris in 7 1/2 hours and then a Thalys (another 4 hours) on to A-Dam...but that can be a long day.
Email me at [email protected] if you'd like other advice or want to discuss the possibilities further. Good Luck. I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback here.

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:27 AM

We have a similar question. Will travel from Venice to Austria, Switzerland and Germany next spring. Just noticed that rail passes must be bought in North America.

Does this mean that one cannot buy a multi-country pass in Venice for example? If so, am I correct in assuming that buying a pass in the states is the only way to save money on a pass?/travel between and within those 4 countries?

Thanks for your assistance.

Michael
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:31 AM

Railpasses only save you money if you're doing a lot of traveling. Buying point-to-point tickets in Europe is often the cheapest way.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM
ira

Hi mel,

www.railsaver is the place to go to see if you need a railpass. They will also tell you which is the best pass.

Try www.euraide.com to see how much a sleeper will cost. You can also buy the sleeper reservation, and all other reservations, in Europe.

Looking at your itinerary, I wonder why you are going to the Amalfi Coast for just one night. Have you considered spending that night in the Lakes area?
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

I was told the Amalfi Coast is beautiful...and am torn as to whether or not to skip it...it is a little out of the way. My other concern is with being in Florence on a Sunday and Monday? I here much could be closed?