what to see in London for 3 days a friday Sat, and Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult son and i are going to be in London for 3 and 1/2 days of which one will be to go to Edinburugh. This i also have to organise. Do the museums etc open on Sunday? We are staying near the London Eye, and wish to see buckingham palace, the tower, some of the great parks, go on the london eye, Atrip down the Thames, maybe throw in some shopping, Also see something like Blood brothers at the theatre. Am i being totally unrealistic? We are arriving from Paris and going on to Milan which i might like some advice about later ifyou can. We like historical or interesting, things that we have seern on Tv, or anything adventourous. We will be there September 27-1/10. Thanks from Australia
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM

From the Eye you can walk across the bridge to St Pauls and the city of London Museum. The national galley is open on Sudays at Trafalger Sq and Piccadilly in nearby. You could also get a boat at the eye and go to greenwich,see the Maritime Museun and other sites.Other Museums are also open.
o Sundays. You can only s
ee the outside of BP but the gallery is open.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM

From the Eye you can walk across the bridge to St Pauls and the city of London Museum>

Well if you first walk a few miles down Thames from The Eye then you can cross the pedestrian bridge to St Pauls.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:50 AM

When we have a short stay in a large city like London we first get one of those cheesy open air hop on hop off bus tours of the city to orient ourselves--especially since they focus on the kinds of sights and highlights you would like to see.

There are several Thames boats; the one we took left from London Eye. Also if time is limited consider Fast Track tickets--you pay more and wait less.

The Buckingham Palace tours book up so consider seeing if you can get tickets ahead on line and work some of that day's visit around it.

While you're at the Eye it's worth walking up & down the South Bank a bit too and crossing one of the Bridges over as described above. When I was there last week we did cross over to St. Paul's but I think that was from the Tate Museum not the Eye.

So those are just recent visitor thoughts; I think the UK folks here will be a lot more helpful.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Yes it is a lovely few-mile or bit less stroll along the South Bank thameside walking path to the Tate Modern Gallery and then across the pedestrian bridge right to St Paul's - I cannot think of a better thing to do with limited time - Shakepeare's The Globe is right on the way or just a short detour off the path - this is London's primo walking, biking, roller blading, skateboarding venue - join the meandering crowd.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. A trip around first off sounds good on one of those buses or a cruise down the Thames. Not sure which we would see most on. We consider seeing a show on the Thursday night, we get there on Thursday afternoon. Perhaps Buckingham palace on Friday morning. Afternoon either tower or cruise down the Thames with a ride on the eye in the evening.
What time does it get dark? Saturday a trip to Edinburugh,
Sunday walk down the south bank trafalgar square, picadilly. Is St pauls open on Sunday? Are there any markets near the eye we are staying at a premier inn near the eye.
I am not sure if this itinery makes sense as i want to see everything with no time for it all! We also had an idea of seeing the athletics field where the olympics were held. Any ideas if that is pracitical. Thank you
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM

Saturday - a trip to Edinburgh (you have an extra U ).

It can be done as a day trip, but a long and tiring day. It takes between 4.5 and 5 hours each way by train (if you are already in London that's still quicker than flying including getting to from the airports/checking in early).

So if you leave early, and come back late, you can have an afternoon in Edinburgh. Are you sure that's the best use of your time on this trip, instead of another full day in London?